Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 02:46 PM
dazevedo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Parabolous
Whats the W stamped at the bottom mean?

My guess would be West Coast Cycle. But thats just a guess.
Old 05-23-16, 04:40 PM
MichaelHell

Bikes: Nishiki Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,
new to this forum and new to bikes as well, so a total rookie that has tried to do some research on my purchase, so any info i can get on my bike would be appreciated.

I bought this Nishiki Ironman of the swedish Craigs list (Blocket) for roughly 80€. the rear wheel is dented and needs to be replaced but it is still rideable. everything else is in good condition and works fine.

I´ve tried to find some info on this specific bike, but i have come up with nothing. the serial number is EH 404941.

So some info on it.

Shimano 105 sets
Tange infinity tubing
Hellenic Frame
Looks like a Tri-A Equippe but is called just Ironman.

So the real strange thing about this bike is the hellenic frame, i have yet to see a nishiki road bike with a hellenic frame.
The other strange thing is the name "ironman" i have come up with zero info about that.

So if anyone has anything to add, it would be awesome.

Please see below for some pics.

Old 05-23-16, 04:49 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by Parabolous
Whats the W stamped at the bottom mean?
Actually, it's a backwards 'C' combined with a "W" and forward facing 'C'. It's stands for West Coast Cycle (Supply), the USA importer and distributor.
Old 05-23-16, 05:00 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by MichaelHell
Hello everyone,
new to this forum and new to bikes as well, so a total rookie that has tried to do some research on my purchase, so any info i can get on my bike would be appreciated.

I bought this Nishiki Ironman of the swedish Craigs list (Blocket) for roughly 80€. the rear wheel is dented and needs to be replaced but it is still rideable. everything else is in good condition and works fine.

I´ve tried to find some info on this specific bike, but i have come up with nothing. the serial number is EH 404941.

So some info on it.

Shimano 105 sets
Tange infinity tubing
Hellenic Frame
Looks like a Tri-A Equippe but is called just Ironman.

So the real strange thing about this bike is the hellenic frame, i have yet to see a nishiki road bike with a hellenic frame.
The other strange thing is the name "ironman" i have come up with zero info about that.

So if anyone has anything to add, it would be awesome.

Please see below for some pics...
The livery is identical to some 1987 American market models but the serial number indcates it was made in 1988 for the European market by Kawamura. However, it could also be a 1989 model, manufactured in late 1988. Shimano New 105 was 6 speed in 1987 & 1988 but went to 7 speed in 1989, so that should allow you to determine the exact model year.

Each Niskiki importer chose their own model names and designed the bicycles, so European models not necessarily line up with with other markets. We regullrly see these differences between the Canadian and USA markets, which were served by different distributors. So, even though we didn't have a hhellenic framed Nishiki Ironman in America, it doesn't surprise me. Regardless, Infinity tubing in conjunction with Shimano New 105 would make it a lower mid-range model.
Old 05-24-16, 02:15 PM
MichaelHell

Bikes: Nishiki Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey T-Mar,
Thanks for the info. Its a sweet ride commuting to work!
Old 05-30-16, 06:56 PM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very useful information here.
Can anyone offer some insight on mine?

Here is what I have so far from what I can tell.

1985 Nishiki 12 speed road bike. 28" Panaracer dual tires, Araya aluminum rims, Sansin quick release hubs, Dia-Compe brakes, Sugino VP crank and Shimano derailleur

Some pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/HOVVx

Thanks!

Last edited by Blurry; 05-30-16 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 08:10 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
83-87 era, that much is certain. Entry level racing, or maybe lower mid range. It's definitely clean!,,,,BD
Old 05-30-16, 08:52 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
1985 Prestige that I believe is all original but for the wheels. Suntour LePree , Sugino , Dia Comp G. 105 hubs to Wolber Rims? I would love to know what the original wheels are? Pictures are as found.

Serial number WE 04014

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.jpg (96.0 KB, 474 views)
003.jpg (91.5 KB, 469 views)
004.jpg (94.1 KB, 467 views)
005.jpg (95.0 KB, 470 views)
006.jpg (87.1 KB, 470 views)
007.jpg (87.2 KB, 466 views)
008.jpg (83.3 KB, 465 views)
009.jpg (87.2 KB, 467 views)
013.jpg (95.9 KB, 467 views)
Old 05-31-16, 06:04 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Blurry
Very useful information here.
Can anyone offer some insight on mine?

Here is what I have so far from what I can tell.

1985 Nishiki 12 speed road bike. 28" Panaracer dual tires, Araya aluminum rims, Sansin quick release hubs, Dia-Compe brakes, Sugino VP crank and Shimano derailleur

Some pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/HOVVx

Thanks!
It's a 1986 model manufactured in late 1985 based on the 1985 serial number and the presence of Light Action SIS, which came out in 1986. This would be considered on the cusp between entry level and mid-range. Unfortunately, I don't have any Canadian market literature from this period. However, based on the level, it may be an Olympic. BTW, welcome to the forums.
Old 05-31-16, 06:04 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
1985 Prestige that I believe is all original but for the wheels. Suntour LePree , Sugino , Dia Comp G. 105 hubs to Wolber Rims? I would love to know what the original wheels are? Pictures are as found.

Serial number WE 04014

Response posted in your other thread on this bicycle.
Old 05-31-16, 10:48 AM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
83-87 era, that much is certain. Entry level racing, or maybe lower mid range. It's definitely clean!,,,,BD

Thanks Bikedued! It was that clean when I bought it and funny thing is I am gonna clean it today.
Old 05-31-16, 10:49 AM
Blurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's a 1986 model manufactured in late 1985 based on the 1985 serial number and the presence of Light Action SIS, which came out in 1986. This would be considered on the cusp between entry level and mid-range. Unfortunately, I don't have any Canadian market literature from this period. However, based on the level, it may be an Olympic. BTW, welcome to the forums.
Thanks T-Mar, that is helpful. I am very happy with the bike regardless of what model it is exactly but still would be nice to know for sure. However, you provided some very helpful info. Thanks
Old 06-05-16, 12:14 AM
lennies

Bikes: Nishiki Road Compe, GT L/S-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello,
I've had my road compe since 1976. I bought it used and it's quite a ride. I never thought to look for a data base but thanks for making this one.
My S/N is KS10028
the bike is green and appears to have been painted green twice. The rock chips show evidence of the second paint application. The PO added Phil Wood hubs and bottom bracket, Universal 68 brakes, Weinman clinchers 27-1 1/4. The rest looked pretty stock, Sun Tour, Sugino etc. I'm in the process of stripping the paint down to bare and repainting. I think she has borne her scars long enough.
When I put everything back together, we will have a 700c wheel set (sun and new cables. Maybe even some nice Shimano brakes if I can find some to fit
Old 06-05-16, 07:16 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by lennies
hello,
I've had my road compe since 1976. I bought it used and it's quite a ride. I never thought to look for a data base but thanks for making this one.
My S/N is KS10028
the bike is green and appears to have been painted green twice. The rock chips show evidence of the second paint application. The PO added Phil Wood hubs and bottom bracket, Universal 68 brakes, Weinman clinchers 27-1 1/4. The rest looked pretty stock, Sun Tour, Sugino etc. I'm in the process of stripping the paint down to bare and repainting. I think she has borne her scars long enough.
When I put everything back together, we will have a 700c wheel set (sun and new cables. Maybe even some nice Shimano brakes if I can find some to fit
Welcome to the forums. Your serial number is interesting in that it would seem to pre-date the Nishiki brand, Are you sure it is a Nishiki and not an American Eagle and that you have transcribed the serial number correctly? The reason I ask is because we have another member who bought an American Eagle Semi-Pro with a known purchase date of March 1971 and a serial number KS78091. Yours would apparently predate this. I have to consult the database to double check but I don't believe that we have had any KS-code Nishiki serial numbers with only seven characters. They have all used eight characters.
Old 06-05-16, 10:49 AM
lennies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi TMAR
Would it say American Eagle or Nishiki on the front badge? The Nishiki badge is on the head tube and it has the little tri-color flag like stickers on the forks. ROAD COMPE is still quite plain on the top tube. It also looks like the other road compe's that I have seen, I'll post some pics just for fun. The S/N is quite plain.
Old 06-05-16, 11:45 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by lennies
hi TMAR
Would it say American Eagle or Nishiki on the front badge? The Nishiki badge is on the head tube and it has the little tri-color flag like stickers on the forks. ROAD COMPE is still quite plain on the top tube. It also looks like the other road compe's that I have seen, I'll post some pics just for fun. The S/N is quite plain.
The head badges were identical, except for the brand name. It's interesting that you have the tri-colour stickers and model name despite the fact the bicycle has been repainted. Is the head badge held on with rivets or screws? Given the repaint and apparently new decals, I'm wondering if the head badge is a replacement too? I look forward to the pictures. Hopefully they will shed some light ion the mystery.
Old 06-05-16, 12:35 PM
lennies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head badge is riveted, I would say the rivets are brass; and very small. They look just like the ones on the International that we bought new back in 1977. I think it has been repainted because the paint seems to chip off in two layers. I will know more when I strip the frame. The paint thickness would indicate it has been painted two times. But...there is not a NISHIKI decal on any tube. There are two decals on the seat tube. At top is a leaf crest with "double butted" and then two lines in the decal of which all that is left is ****unume. At the bottom of the tube is a decal that says "made in japan". (japan is in script, but "made in" is in block lettering. The Sugino crank says 47-5 and 171, which seems to date the crank to 1971. Can you point me to the instructions for posting a picture? I thought I knew how but it's not working.
Old 06-05-16, 12:37 PM
lennies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a link to the 'tiny pic' page with the pics. Maybe that will help Road Compe - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Old 06-05-16, 01:38 PM
T-Mar

The tubing decal reads Chrome Molybdenum and the crank code is actually May 1972, which was the first year for Nishiki. The paint appears to be OEM based on the pin striping (and my recollection of that colour). The serial number does not trail off like a poor stamping, so I'm assuming that an employee forgot to load a full set of characters and it should be KS10028X. This would put it in reasonable correlation with the crank date code.
Old 06-07-16, 01:25 PM
tchevass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I just got a Nishiki Regal, it look like they are kinda rare, I can't seems to be able to find somebody that has one or know what they are.

My Serial number is: CC05378
Old 06-07-16, 04:01 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by tchevass
Hey guys,

I just got a Nishiki Regal, it look like they are kinda rare, I can't seems to be able to find somebody that has one or know what they are.

My Serial number is: CC05378
Welcome to the forums. The Nishiki Regal was a mid-1980s, entry level model designed for the Canadian market by Norco. Your serial number is from 1983 but the Regal is not listed in that year's Canadian market catalogue, so it may be a 1984 model. The samples that have turned up generally feature Tange #5 tubesets, 27' wheels, Suntour AR derailleurs, Sugino Aero #5 cranks and Dia-Compe self-centring brakes. They are very similar to the 1983 Olympic and it may have been the Olympic's successor in the Canadian market, situated just above the bottom of the line Rally. An overall driveside picture, detail pictures of the major components (crankset, rear derailleur, brake calipers) and a picture of the tubing decal would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-16, 01:05 PM
Parabolous

Bikes: Always

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Actually, it's a backwards 'C' combined with a "W" and forward facing 'C'. It's stands for West Coast Cycle (Supply), the USA importer and distributor.
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-13-16, 03:40 PM
daveystruthers

Bikes: dirt and street

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay T-Mar i got one for you! did see anything similar in the previous 61 pages. Nishiki track frame and fork - not drilled for brakes, shimano dropouts serial number T3 0008
Old 06-14-16, 07:47 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by daveystruthers
Okay T-Mar i got one for you! did see anything similar in the previous 61 pages. Nishiki track frame and fork - not drilled for brakes, shimano dropouts serial number T3 0008
Actually, we have seen a Nishiki track frame before. However, we weren't able to come up with anything definitive. We've never come across a catalogued track model but I don't have a complete set of Nishiki literature and we also know of uncatalogued road models. So, there's the possibility of an uncatalogued model, a foreign market model or a custom built frame for a Nishiki sponsored rider. Regardless, the serial number formats don't match any of the known Kawamura formats, so they appear to have been contract built. What is interesting is that the formats are very similar with the other track frame being 73 0042. I'm wondering if one or the other is confusing a T as a 7 or vice versa? Pictures of your bicycle may aid in the detective work, so please post some. Unfortunately, we can't compare it to the other Nishiki track bicycle that has surfaced, as the pictures have been deleted. The other track frame appeared to have been from at least the 1980s based on the embossing and it had a bottom bracket dating to 1989, but that could have been a replacement.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-14-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-19-16, 08:02 AM
fas2c
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nabbed another Mixte for the wife yesterday. It is a Beige Custom Sport with red highlighting around the lugs with Hi-Ten frame and Shimano 600 Arabesque components, steel Araya rims. Serial# KJ19671. I've seen several like it on-line so I assume it is a fairly common paint scheme. Shifts like a dream, and rides great. Swapped out for new tubes and tries and took it for a ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.