Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cycling travel destinations you've been to

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best cycling travel destinations you've been to

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 02:16 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You probably already said this and I missed it, but what time of year are you going? I think it's summer, right? If you know when exactly I can probably help with which roads will be passable and which won't. It's usually around the first week of July that you can drive to Slate Peak, or ride on anything but a fat bike.
It will be in August. Probably the first two weeks.

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
My favorite is Hawaii. I've done two trips to the Big Island and Maui and rented a bike there both times. Both were breath-taking cycling destinations with more options for beautiful riding that one could possibly take advantage of.

Once you decide on a destination, you might want to look at Veloguide, which is sort of like AirBNB for cycling. It takes the hassle out of figuring out where to rent a bike, where to ride, etc.
Yeah, Hawaii is nice. I was on the big island with a plan to ride the Ironman course. But once we arrived and looked in to the logistics of renting a bike, etc. we decided against it. Still would have been a fun ride though. And thanks foe the info on Veloguide. I had no idea about it. Very good tip.
Old 11-29-18, 02:36 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I was on the big island with a plan to ride the Ironman course. But once we arrived and looked in to the logistics of renting a bike, etc. we decided against it. Still would have been a fun ride though.
I rented a bike for a week from www.bikeworkshawaii.com in Waikoloa and it couldn't have been easier. I e-mailed them my measurements and such in advance and the bike was all ready when I got there. I even joined their shop ride one day (https://www.strava.com/activities/579472675) and rode up and down the coast a bit with them. The paceline on the way back got intense and a couple of bad-ass chicks on super tri bikes put down the hammer and dropped me and the other dudes toward the end of the ride, it was quite a show of power.

I tried to head up one of the volcanoes, but it's a damned long climb with zero services/water/anything for many miles. My wife made it clear she was not interested in delivering water, food, a jacket, or a mountain bike to me along the way, so I wisely decided to go up until I felt it was time to turn around, based on water needs. It was still a beautiful ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/580666639 the descent down old saddle road was incredible as the road was steaming and there was ZERO traffic to be seen. In retrospect, I'd have come up that way too, since the 200 is essentially a freeway and kind of sucked to ride on.

Another random ride while there: https://www.strava.com/activities/575033444/

It's a beautiful place to ride.
Old 11-29-18, 05:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Belgium..
Old 11-29-18, 09:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It will be in August. Probably the first two weeks.
I hate to say this, but you may want to consider other options and not commit to anything ahead of time. There are fires all over the West every summer. Some near the Methow Valley, some far away. But for the past few years, a noxious cloud of smoke blankets the whole region, starting in early August and lasting maybe 6 weeks. The air quality tends to be horrible and you can't see more than a couple miles.
Old 11-30-18, 11:00 AM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I hate to say this, but you may want to consider other options and not commit to anything ahead of time. There are fires all over the West every summer. Some near the Methow Valley, some far away. But for the past few years, a noxious cloud of smoke blankets the whole region, starting in early August and lasting maybe 6 weeks. The air quality tends to be horrible and you can't see more than a couple miles.
Very true. At this point we are not committing to anything. Just trying to get ideas for the summer. We MAY put a deposit down somewhere so long as we can get it back. At least this way we know we're not out of money and we will have a place to stay. We definitely don't want to ride in bad air quality. No sens making a trip/trek if we're stuck indoors all day.
Old 11-30-18, 11:12 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We went along the Danube from Passau, Germany, to Vienna in 2007 and then from Vienna to Budapest in 2014. Very little climbing, so it might not be your cup of tea, but either section is great for families with kids. Very civilized, good accommodations and food and you can get tour companies to arrange to take your stuff from hotel-to-hotel every day. If you're going in August, I'd definitely use a tour company so you know you'll have a room waiting for you, as it gets very busy at that time of year.

The insane part of me wants to do the Budapest-to-the-Black Sea segment, but that's definitely not in the cards for the rest of the Mouse family.
Old 11-30-18, 11:40 AM
GeorgeAz

Bikes: Orbea Alma 2018, Specialized Allez comp triple 2007, 1977 Raleigh 3sp, 1984 Raleigh 531 Campy road

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maroon Bells, Aspen Colorado. Cars are restricted on a closed road. Climb forever - e ticket ride downhill. 50 + mph easy. If you never thought you would like disc brakes on a road bike, you will after this ride. Scenery is incredible.
Old 11-30-18, 01:54 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. So many destinations and so little time/money...

@Seattle Forrest your suggestion for Winthrop might win the day as it's relatively close to home and from the sounds of it great cycling. Any decision will have to be approved by the travel committee (i.e. the wife). The suggestion for places to say is most appreciated. No rush as we won't be doing any kind of cycling trips until the summer. I'm just trying get some ideas so we have something to look forward to over the winter months.

@tinrobot I like the idea of riding down in Colorado too. I love to climb (the wife, not so much) but the scenery is incredible. Might have to look in to some locations/ideas there too. Of course Portland is equally appealing, especially with all of those craft breweries!

All those suggestions to head over to Europe are definitely appealing! Neither of us have ever been over to Europe and I think doing a bike tour (where they drag our gear from place to place, as opposed to using panniers) would be a great way to see the country. I have some friends who have done cycle trips over to Europe, so maybe I need to pick their brains over a beer or three to see what they can recommend too. Of course I do have some concerns with not being able to DO everything Europe has to offer, since a lot of time will be spend riding from a to b, but I suppose no one can do it all.
Haven't read through the thread yet but I was looking seriously at a trip to the Canary Islands with my wife last summer, ended up going to Palm Springs instead. Gran Canaria looks like cycling paradise-

I looked into rentals and there are bike shops on Gran Canaria as well as Tenerife that rent really nice road bikes for very reasonable prices. The islands have great weather most of the year, it's a Spanish territory so I'm sure the food is excellent, and you can finish your ride at a beautiful beach where you spend the rest of the day enjoying the sun and some beer. Flights weren't that bad from the US east coast either.

For the trip we did take, riding in Palm Springs was actually pretty nice. I found a shop that delivered a rental road bike to our AirBnB, there's a very interesting climb up the tramway access road, and it's a beautiful, stark landscape. Just really hot if you wait to ride much past dawn.
Old 11-30-18, 02:25 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by bensonthetiger
Has anyone heard about the Rwanda pro tour coming up in February?
Whenever I am visiting a place, I often fantasize about riding when I come across a nice climb. The road from Kigali to Lake Kivu is one of them. Rwanda is like the Switzerland of Africa. Way more cleaner/safer than all neighboring countries by a large margin.

Just had to look it up on Strava. One segment is a Cat 1 climb https://www.strava.com/segments/630438

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 11-30-18 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 08:02 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeAz
Maroon Bells, Aspen Colorado. Cars are restricted on a closed road. Climb forever - e ticket ride downhill. 50 + mph easy. If you never thought you would like disc brakes on a road bike, you will after this ride. Scenery is incredible.
Agree. After the Bells, loop around through the city and try Ashcroft-the next canyon over. A little longer and less steep but still low traffic and great reward on top and coming down.

Last edited by tigat; 12-01-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 07:55 PM
NoWhammies

Wow. Gorgeous photo @tigat. Very inspirational. Where abouts you were staying when you did this ride? Did you have a base camp/hotel that you worked out of? And are there a lot of different rides in the area or is it all climb climb climb? While I don't mind climbing, I think constant/daily climbing might weigh on my wife not be such a fan.
Old 12-02-18, 01:01 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
I credit-card toured South Korea from one end to the other along its renowned Four Rivers national bike path, and also did a similar thing along Taiwan"s scenic east coast. I had a great time, glimpsed into the culture and country, and faced no hassles or hustles. At the end of the tour i put the bike in the bullet train back to the capital.. Both places are highly recommended.
We're both places affordable? Any problems with language?

Those are two realistic options for me.
Old 12-02-18, 08:01 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Wow. Gorgeous photo @tigat. Very inspirational. Where abouts you were staying when you did this ride? Did you have a base camp/hotel that you worked out of? And are there a lot of different rides in the area or is it all climb climb climb? While I don't mind climbing, I think constant/daily climbing might weigh on my wife not be such a fan.
Thanks. I live outside Denver, so the Aspen area is a day trip if I want, but I have friends in town need be and down valley in Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. If you're making a trip of it, I'd suggest staying in Glenwood Springs-great old hotels and some new ones-and hitting the Glenwood Canyon bike trail (truly spectacular), a ride down valley from Aspen in Missouri Heights (rolling more than climbing):

maybe a ride out of Dotsero on the Colorado River Road (turns to very manageable gravel), and a day in Grand Junction with a trip up the Colorado Monunment

Old 12-02-18, 10:12 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Home is always a good destination for any ride.
Jon
Old 12-04-18, 06:59 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
It's even more breathtakingly beautiful if you get away from the roads...

Sundal

Blĺhř

I guess I'll have to go back to find out.* But we were cycling, so you do need roads, at least I do.**

We were also in Oslo and Bergen, with the stop in Balestrand in my pictures.* I didn't think either city would be great for cycling like Copenhagen was on that same trip.* I also thought Amsterdam was a little crazy for cycling.* Yes, they cycle everywhere, but it was a little chaotic.* My wife much preferred Copenhagen, as did I.* But Balestrand was spectacular.* I turned around before the road turned inland from the fjord, and that looks like another spectacular ride on Google.**

What's with all the stars appearing in my text? I must have quoted something not from an English keyboard.
Old 12-13-18, 03:33 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
We're both places affordable? Any problems with language?

Those are two realistic options for me.
Both Korea and Taiwan are going to be more affordable than Japan. Taiwan is less expensive than Korea because food is cheaper. In Korea you are hardly going to find a full meal for less than about USD6, and it's not going to have a lot of protein. For me, deep-down hunger is only satisfied by protein/animal flesh.

I speak no Korean or Mandarin, and faced few difficulties, really. There's a little more English in Taiwan than in Korea, but both places are remarkably easy to navigate. In Korea, if you are pressed for time, it is the southern half of the main Four Rivers Seoul-to-Busan haul which is more scenic and quiet.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 12-13-18 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 06:25 AM
zoolzoo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my basement while zwifting
Old 12-14-18, 06:00 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
In July we did a week long cycling tour of Finland's Aland Islands with Freewheeling Adventures. I did a Cycleblaze journal on the trip here.

Not a trip if you are looking for climbing, but really scenic, great food, great biking surfaces. It was a fully supported ride but you could do it unsupported pretty easily without camping/cooking- you are always within 20 - 30 miles of somewhere to stay.
Old 12-14-18, 09:08 AM
ogmtb
Banned.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
I guess I'll have to go back to find out.* But we were cycling, so you do need roads, at least I do.**.
I hope you’re sitting down for this, because you’re in for a big shock:

Millions of people around the world don’t need roads for cycling.

For example: the guy in my second photo.