Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Paris > Lisbon V1

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Paris > Lisbon V1

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 10:00 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Paris > Lisbon V1

Plans are seriously firming up. It'll be Paris CDG T3 > Downtown Lisbon, leaving CDG on May 25th or so and hotel booked in Lisbon on June 22nd. Leisurely and several zero-days on hand.

I am quite familiar with France, but Spain and inland Portugal will be new to me. Here's the 1-minute route as suggested by cycle.travel route. Comments/suggestions for the St-Jean-de-Luz > Lisbon segment are welcome. (My wife and daughter will fly to Lisbon. The plan is to cycle back to Madrid, over a 5-week period. Route should go through Seville and Granada).

One question, perhaps -- what about discreet camping in Spain? Everyone does it? You go to jail for sure? (or somewhere in between) Or don't bother -- hostels are cheap, nice and everywhere?

Thanks as always
Old 01-30-24, 11:44 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
It's a shame that you are bypassing the Douro valley in Portugal.

If those 5 weeks for cycling from Lisbon to Madrid begin around June 23, Andalucia (southern Spain around Seville & Granada) is quite likely to be dangerously hot for cycling.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 01-30-24, 03:53 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Last year I crossed the Pyrenees from Hendaye to Pamplona (on the EV1), and can totally recommend it. It started off as a via verde and then a stunningly beautiful climb.

The summer weather in southern europe has become pretty unpredictable. Nowadays, I prepare for >40 C and torrential storms wherever I am.

Originally Posted by axolotl
It's a shame that you are bypassing the Douro valley in Portugal
Zamora to Porto, then down the coast to Lisboa would be an alternative

I’ve been sleeping under the stars since the 70’s all over europe, but don’t put a tent up. It used to be fine to sleep on beaches, but this has changed especially around the mediterranean. The Atlantic coast is still ok away from towns. Inland, just find somewhere just before dark, and leave early.

Last edited by imi; 01-30-24 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 07:06 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by axolotl
It's a shame that you are bypassing the Douro valley in Portugal.
As I said, this is *very* preliminary. So you'd suggest something like this? (perhaps name a few towns that shouldn't be missed. I've just clicked along what looked like the Douro river. Lots of steep climbs. Certainly room for improvement).

WRT heat -- yeah... I guess that we'll see. Very hot, but very dry as well. We should be good up to 40. I'll try to map July temperature across the country so I can understand what we're up against. (i.e. mountains can play a major role, I have no idea at this point in time)

Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-30-24, 10:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Plans are seriously firming up. It'll be Paris CDG T3 > Downtown Lisbon, leaving CDG on May 25th or so and hotel booked in Lisbon on June 22nd. Leisurely and several zero-days on hand.

I am quite familiar with France, but Spain and inland Portugal will be new to me. Here's the 1-minute route as suggested by cycle.travel route. Comments/suggestions for the St-Jean-de-Luz > Lisbon segment are welcome. (My wife and daughter will fly to Lisbon. The plan is to cycle back to Madrid, over a 5-week period. Route should go through Seville and Granada).

One question, perhaps -- what about discreet camping in Spain? Everyone does it? You go to jail for sure? (or somewhere in between) Or don't bother -- hostels are cheap, nice and everywhere?

Thanks as always
I followed a similar route Lisbon to San Sebastián 5 years ago. Excellent ride. Stayed in small hotels very reasonable. Keep your route choice open as there are amazing secondary roads and small towns.
Old 01-31-24, 02:45 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

WRT heat -- yeah... I guess that we'll see. Very hot, but very dry as well. We should be good up to 40.
I’m used to riding in 30-35 C, but last summer I had a couple of weeks in france of 38-40 C. The difference was brutal.

I got up at first light and started riding with lights as the first few hours of the day were blissfully cooler. After midday, the sun drained me. Later in the day didn’t help much, as the temperature only sunk by a degree or two.

Last edited by imi; 01-31-24 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 08:28 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by imi
I’m used to riding in 30-35 C, but last summer I had a couple of weeks in france of 38-40 C. The difference was brutal.
Same for us. Between Lyon and Avignon. Perhaps related to the fact that normal human body temperature is 37c. We were riding before noon, finding a spot with a swimming pool for the rest of the day.

Came across info yesterday (Seville bring a ghost town in July/August) having us revisiting our plans. It's likely we'll stick with Spain. Plan is to ride the coast if heat wave is forecast.
Old 01-31-24, 10:39 AM
axolotl

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
As I said, this is *very* preliminary. So you'd suggest something like this? (perhaps name a few towns that shouldn't be missed. I've just clicked along what looked like the Douro river. Lots of steep climbs. Certainly room for improvement).
My suggestion is that you get into the eastern part of the Douro valley and follow along the river, passing through Paso de Regua. It's a beautiful valley and doesn't have a lot of steep climbs as long as you stay along the river.

eta: It's much easier to see this on a detailed paper map which shows relief and has markings for steep climbs, than on the map in your link.

Last edited by axolotl; 01-31-24 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 01-31-24, 10:57 AM
imi
aka Timi

It's likely we'll stick with Spain. Plan is to ride the coast if heat wave is forecast.
The spanish mediterranean coast is basically f’ed from overdevelopment, plastic agriculture, and heavy traffic ☹️

Last edited by imi; 01-31-24 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For imi:
Old 01-31-24, 02:51 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by imi
The spanish mediterranean
Sorry. My post was ambiguous. I meant the Atlantic seaboard.
Old 01-31-24, 02:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
The spanish mediterranean coast is basically f’ed from overdevelopment, plastic agriculture, and heavy traffic ☹️
It was that way 24 years ago when I was there. Those plastic farms just south of El Ejido were miserable. I cannot imagine it now. I was along the coast in April and it was pretty busy. Spent time in the Malaga area during the height of summer back in the 80s. It was a zoo. Also, the prevailing winds are west to east. And it’s not exactly like it’s going to be cool.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-31-24, 07:54 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I don't have experience with this route, but the Altravesur in Southern Spain looks amazing. If you stay high in the mountains it might be cooler. You can likely use the regional trains to help get to the start and to Madrid from the end if you don't have enough time to ride it all.
Old 01-31-24, 08:56 PM
Kelly I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Here is my journal of our ride in Spain/Portugal in june/July, 2023. We were warned by many of the brutal heat, but we only travel during school vacations. My husband doesn't mind the heat, I left early on the extra hot days. We appreciated it when we got to the mountains and temperatures weren't so bad. Ice is very hard to come by. Gas stations were our best source. Having cold drinks made all of the difference.

I was not so sure about European travel, but had an excellent trip. We plan to return in 2025, riding from Frankfurt to Lisbon.

IDK if my journal will help you. Here it is, just in case: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/gotagorda/
Likes For Kelly I:
Old 02-01-24, 03:48 PM
str

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
I don't have experience with this route, but the Altravesur in Southern Spain looks amazing. If you stay high in the mountains it might be cooler. You can likely use the regional trains to help get to the start and to Madrid from the end if you don't have enough time to ride it all.
There will be sure no difference in temperature on the route. It will be HOT!
Likes For str:
Old 02-01-24, 03:50 PM
str

Thanks as always

Wild camping is forbidden here in Spain. Just look for hidden places
Old 02-01-24, 03:54 PM
str

you could include this one, have done it several times. very beautiful!
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/130176168
Old 02-01-24, 05:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 796 Posts
Originally Posted by str
you could include this one, have done it several times. very beautiful!
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/130176168
only 27.4 % max grade and only 3000 meters climbing over 100k? ---pffffft , bof , too easy!
Likes For djb:
Old 02-01-24, 07:47 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
only 27.4 % max grade and only 3000 meters climbing over 100k? ---pffffft , bof , too easy!
Fully loaded with a touring set up no less.
Old 02-01-24, 08:28 PM
gauvins

Tapas power!
Old 02-01-24, 08:54 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
At least str is a big fan of that book, The Bearable Lightness of Being, by Kundera
(he's not a heavily loaded type of feller)

Still, a hell of a ride. Beyond me.

Last edited by djb; 02-01-24 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 01:33 AM
str

Originally Posted by djb
these things happen when one leaves the mainstream roads. its all tarmac, not one meter off road. little roads in the mountains.
Old 02-02-24, 01:34 AM
str

Originally Posted by djb
At least str is a big fan of that book, The Bearable Lightness of Being, by Kundera
(he's not a heavily loaded type of feller)

Still, a hell of a ride. Beyond me.
Thats a very nice one... read it two times.
Old 02-02-24, 01:44 AM
str

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
yeah, for "whole household" touring maybe too much )

setup: no tent, sleeping bag, mattress, little cooker for tea and food, clothing.

Old 02-02-24, 08:38 AM
djb

Originally Posted by str
these things happen when one leaves the mainstream roads. its all tarmac, not one meter off road. little roads in the mountains.
must be a beautiful ride. I would have to train a heck of a lot to even hope to be able to do it though.
And of course, not bring the whole household, just a few rooms.
Many many years ago, like 30, I've probably done sort of the equivalent, climbing maybe 2200m in a day, but carrying a small household--but 30 years on it would take some serious training to be capable of that again--and I'm ok with doing what I can now.
Likes For djb:
Old 02-02-24, 08:41 AM
str

Originally Posted by djb
must be a beautiful ride. I would have to train a heck of a lot to even hope to be able to do it though.
And of course, not bring the whole household, just a few rooms.
Many many years ago, like 30, I've probably done sort of the equivalent, climbing maybe 2200m in a day, but carrying a small household--but 30 years on it would take some serious training to be capable of that again--and I'm ok with doing what I can now.
""" just a few rooms""" 😂🙃

of course we did walk the several +20% ramps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.