Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Model Is My Bike ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Model Is My Bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 10:34 AM
fatmanriding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Model Is My Bike ?

Can anybody help me determine what model my bike is and around what year it came from? It was given to me by someone moving and I enjoy riding it a bunch, but was curious how old and what model? It's a TREK, serial number 41116. 12 Speed, Suntour BL gears (Is "gears" the right word?) I'm loving riding and see it as my way from fatman riding to average size guy riding, and am trying to learn. I have pictures but can't figure out how to attach them to this post. Guidance there would be appreciated too.

Is there a site where I can input the manufacturer and serial number and get all the info?

thanks.

fatman riding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0534.jpg (98.6 KB, 21 views)
DSC_0536.jpg (102.2 KB, 58 views)
DSC_0540.jpg (37.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-25-09, 10:55 AM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your "gears" are called "derailleurs." They're actually gear changers, not the gears themselves. The gears in the back are called the freewheel cluster if they're an older design, or a cassette if they're a newer design. They are changed by the rear derailleur (sometimes shortened to "rd"). The gears in front are called the chainrings, they're a part of the crankset, and are changed by the front derailleur (sometimes shortened to "fd"). Together, the front and rear assemblies are called the drivetrain.

Your derailleurs are Suntour BL, which stands for "Blue Line."

Sorry, that's about all I can tell you about your bike. You can learn more about your bike by checking out Vintage Trek, and somebody here may be able to identify your bike with the information you've given.

Welcome to CV&V, and good luck with your goal!
Old 07-25-09, 10:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Go to the vintage Trek site, look up your serial number, and it will tell you exactly what you have. The Vintage Trek sites is one of the best vintage bike sites out there. Many brands have nothing.
Old 07-25-09, 11:11 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
When you look at catalogs on the vintage trek site, start with the early 80s. I've come across the BL derailer on 1982 and 1983 Treks.
Old 07-25-09, 11:53 AM
jjvw
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's definitely a pre-1984 trek. Back then, Trek only made decent bikes.
Old 07-25-09, 12:19 PM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike and +1 again on the vintage trek site. Question , are you riding with the correct shoes for those petels?
Old 07-26-09, 09:55 AM
fatmanriding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks To All

Thanks to all for your help on identifying my bike. Found out it's a TREK Model 613 builit in 1982. Got all the info from the vintage site, and from reading the sales brochure for the bike that year. Awesome info. Awesome help. Thanks to all again!
Old 07-28-09, 08:28 PM
Luke1977

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey fatmanriding, how do you like the bike? I have one for sale on my local CL that looks to be in near mint (NOS?) condition. I'm looking for something to use for commuting and weekend rides.
Old 08-03-09, 04:47 PM
fatmanriding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the bike. I'm just getting into riding, having only been steadily riding for a month or so, but ride 4-6 times a week covering 60-80 miles a week. Did a 30 mile ride on Sunday and it was great. It's a great bike until I decide if i"m serious enough to stick to it, and will still keep riding it after that for a while. What are they asking for it?