Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sniped!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 06:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I either use the buy-it-now function, or I snipe.

The most surprising thing to me is that when I snipe, I almost always pay a lot less than I was willing to pay, or I don't get the item. Typically I'll enter a snipe amount around $75 and the item will sell for $40 (to me) or $140 (not to me). Either way I'm happy.

If EVERYONE sniped at the last minute (well, 7 seconds before end of auction) nothing would change. The person who entered the highest bid would win the item, and the price would be pretty much the same as otherwise expected.
Old 10-30-09, 07:22 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sniping is the correct strategy for ebay. Keeps the bidder from getting caught up in the action and over bidding. I come up with the maximum I'm willing to pay for something, then bid with less than 5 seconds left. I can't make a second bid, no auction fever possible. I never regret losing because I am convinced the winner overpaid
Old 10-30-09, 07:24 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Frankly, I don't understand all this bruhaha about online auction tactics, methods and psychology. I have a simple rule that I apply to determine how much I am willing to bid and never stray from it. Namely, I never pay more than it would cost me to find it elsewhere, be it some other online store or Buy it Now (BIN) or Craigslist or whatever. And if it is some rare item that is only to be found infrequently on eBay, then I simply establish in advance an absolute maximum amount that it is worth to ME and let the chips fall where they may. No complicated bidding tactics, sniping software or voodoo. Just like most things in life, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 10-30-09, 07:48 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I use www.esnipe.com. Bidding early on an ebay auction just reveals your interest and helps other bidders. I only snipe bid. Then if someone beats me, its because they valued the item for more than me, rather than raising their bid in response to my bid. Lots of snipe options out there.
+1 wrk101 turned me on to esniper earlier this year and its proven very useful and helped me win some auctions that I was unable to be near the computer for the end of.
Old 10-30-09, 07:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I don't snipe, but it is kind of fun when you win that way. I think we all kind of like the feeling of victory, and sniping makes it more so.

If I really want the item, I put my max price in and forget it. If someone wants it more, fine, even by a penny.
If I'm interested in a bargain, I follow it and see where it seems to be going, then make a decision on what I'll spend and stick to it.

I'd say I'm about 50% successful getting either what I want or a good buy.

CL here is getting a lot more parts out there than it used to. It has it's own problems, but I like meeting bike people, and that's a plus.
Old 10-30-09, 08:03 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think sniping really matters. I've sold items recently where they were bid up early up to what they were worth and sold for that. Some of these items had over 20 people watching and I was ready for some heavy sniping, but no snipers came in because the items were already over what they wanted to pay. The only time I get snipers is if the item is below mkt value a few minutes before it closes.
Old 10-30-09, 08:09 AM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Frankly, I don't understand all this bruhaha about online auction tactics, methods and psychology. I have a simple rule that I apply to determine how much I am willing to bid and never stray from it. Namely, I never pay more than it would cost me to find it elsewhere, be it some other online store or Buy it Now (BIN) or Craigslist or whatever. And if it is some rare item that is only to be found infrequently on eBay, then I simply establish in advance an absolute maximum amount that it is worth to ME and let the chips fall where they may. No complicated bidding tactics, sniping software or voodoo. Just like most things in life, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and I don't lose any sleep over it.
The reason is you'll often end up paying more by bidding early. Early bidding encourages counterbidding, which means that if you win the item, you'll pay more for it than you would have if you had waited until the closing seconds to bid. Your competitors, who only learn of your interest in the item when it's too late to counterbid, have no time left to drive up the final price.
Old 10-30-09, 08:24 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
The same thing has happened to me several times on Ebay. You come up with a fair price, and if you really want it, you bump up the bid just to make sure you'll win. Your the highest bidder all the way through as you watch the time expire and find out you were outbid by a GD nickel by someone who hadn't been bidding the whole time. Is it possible that someone has figured out how to see your top amount and is able to zip in a bid at the last second? I think this is a problem for Ebay. Are you listening Ebay?
No, they cant see your gih bid amount but what they did was submit higher price than you did. High price wins. Its not that they weren't bidding all along, they were, but were using an automated system.

I tied with someone a fews ago. He submitted his bid 5 days before I did and won based on that.
Old 10-30-09, 08:48 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by gridplan
The reason is you'll often end up paying more by bidding early. Early bidding encourages counterbidding, which means that if you win the item, you'll pay more for it than you would have if you had waited until the closing seconds to bid. Your competitors, who only learn of your interest in the item when it's too late to counterbid, have no time left to drive up the final price.
I didn't say that I necessarily bid early, just that I never bid above a pre-established amount. I don't try to play mind games with other bidders and don't get sucked into bidding wars. Normally, I simply watch the auction until it is nearing being closed, and if the price hasn't already exceeded my limit, I just put in my bid. If there are any last minute bidders out there, it's not going to make any difference. I don't play poker and I don't play the stock market.
Old 10-30-09, 08:55 AM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ebay used to make me stress, but not anymore. If it's something I want I may stick around for the end of the auction... If not I just bid whatever I want to pay and let the Ebay gods decide.
Old 10-30-09, 09:07 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can understand sellers not liking snipers, but for buyers, it's a way to eliminate much of the item inflation from the competitive aspect that Ebay promotes.

I only snipe now, sometimes using an automatic service and sometimes manually, as Tigerprawn does. When I lose, it's because the market value was more than the maximum I wanted to pay - simple as that.
Old 10-30-09, 09:41 AM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
If there are any last minute bidders out there, it's not going to make any difference. I don't play poker and I don't play the stock market.
When I'm bidding on eBay, my goal is not just to win the auction, it's to win the auction at minimal cost to me. All I'm saying is, if you enter a bid that allows a competitor enough time to counter your bid -- and we're only talking about a few seconds here -- it will increase the amount you pay in the event you're lucky enough to win the auction.
Old 10-30-09, 10:07 AM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
They use the same mechanisn as the Retrofriction downtube shifters, with a spring that counteracts the pull of the derailer spring. I hate ratcheting shifters like the Suntour Barcons I want to replace.

Shimano made a variation of these, they work nicely. I definitely prefer them to the SunTours.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 10-30-09, 12:46 PM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MetinUz
On the contrary, sniping very much favors the buyer. A lot of the eBay price inflation is due to auction psychology: once a buyer enters a bidding war, he does not want to lose even if he ends up paying more than the item is worth, thinking the other buyer's bid justifies his own overbid. Many noob buyers make several bids, until they bid more than the current winner. As a seller, I am happy when two such buyers show up at my auction. Sniping removes this emotional part, so favors the buyers.
Totally agree. If you bid early, you just get others to be all emotional and they've just got to outbid you to prove how tough they are. If you wait until the last possible second, they don't have time to place a new, emotional bid. So you pay whatever is the maximum that the item is worth to you. And you don't lose it to someone who will then kick themselves for having overpaid, just because they didn't want to lose.
Old 10-30-09, 01:01 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I use a sniping service but only because often I'm not online or around a computer when the
auction is scheduled to end.
Sometimes I'll throw a direct lowball bid in on an item and see where it goes, I've been surprized that
I've actually won some of these.

ebay is sure less friendly than it was say 5 years ago.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-30-09, 02:44 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I NEVER enter a bid in advance of the closing time. That just encourages the newbies to bid in $1 increments until they've beat my bid by a whole dollar. Much more satisfying to school them with a well-placed snipe at the end.

Sorry to hear you lost your holy grail, though. I've actually got a used set here, but it's earmarked for my Gitane tourer. I may change my mind about that, and if I was absolutely certain that I would not be using it, I'd sell it to you, but for now, It's for a build, so....
Old 10-30-09, 02:48 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn
Ebay used to make me stress, but not anymore. If it's something I want I may stick around for the end of the auction... If not I just bid whatever I want to pay and let the Ebay gods decide.
That's what I do. If it's something that I really, really, REALLY must have, then I bid some insane amount and just dare some fool to come in there and take it from me.

Now you guys know why 24mm seatposts now go for a fortune on eBay.
Old 10-30-09, 03:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I'm leery of sharing my eBay information with a 3rd party so I use a free, open source program running on one of my computers (a server, so it's always on and always connected to the internet): https://esniper.sourceforge.net

Works for me!
Old 10-30-09, 03:52 PM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If an item is rare and desirable, then the only way you're going to win it at anything approaching a reasonable price is to snipe it. Too many collectors are experienced Ebayer's and experience, teaches you.