Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire wear, how do you deal with it do you rotate your tires or replace the rear tire?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire wear, how do you deal with it do you rotate your tires or replace the rear tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 10:04 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SO i was wondering how you guys do it i usually. what i usually do is rotate my tires so i can get an even tire wear but, i've never tried moving the front to the back and replacing the most worn tire with a new one. Which is best ??
Old 02-03-16, 10:11 PM
MrCharlie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always put the tire with the least wear in front. When a rear wears out, put a new tire on the front and put the old front on the rear. Seems counterintuitive since the rear wears faster, but the idea is that its much safer to have a blow out in the rear as opposed to the front. This is pretty standard advice.
Old 02-03-16, 10:11 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typically, when wire bead appears in a spot or three or four on the rear, I move the front to the rear and put a new tire on the front. rinse and repeat.
Old 02-03-16, 10:14 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
As I'm lazy I just replace the tire that's worn. Honestly do whatever ritual makes you feel good. It really doesn't matter.
Old 02-04-16, 12:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
My wheels rotate when I ride.
Old 02-04-16, 05:47 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
As I'm lazy I just replace the tire that's worn. Honestly do whatever ritual makes you feel good. It really doesn't matter.
Ditto,

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-04-16, 06:00 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually replace both at the same time, regardless. If I were more thrifty, I would do as others above mentioned and replace a rear tire with one that had been on the front, but I'd never replace a front tire with anything but a new one.
Old 02-04-16, 06:07 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I usually replace both at the same time, regardless. If I were more thrifty, I would do as others above mentioned and replace a rear tire with one that had been on the front, but I'd never replace a front tire with anything but a new one.
And since the old front tire is very close to new as far as tread wear is concerned, the one-way "rotation" scheme (it really isn't, is it) is a very good plan. As said above, it is very standard advice. I have been doing that for years. Of course, I only ride one type and size clincher tire, so I never have a problem with a mismatch. That would be gauche!

By the way that rotation scheme is not quite so desirable for tubulars. I mean who wants to remove a perfectly-well glued on front tubular to move it to the back. That is just asking for trouble like rims that need glue cleaned off, underside tire tape coming off the tire, etc. In the case of tubulars I think that leaving the front in place and just replacing the rear makes more sense. Or replacing both tires to switch to a different brand, size, or model. After all it is important to preserve that matchy-matchy.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-04-16, 06:27 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22604 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
I also move front to back and put new one on front. It makes the most sense.
Old 02-04-16, 06:35 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually replace the rear tire once a year and the front once every 2 years . No rotation here .
Old 02-04-16, 07:11 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
.... Or replacing both tires to switch to a different brand, size, or model. After all it is important to preserve that matchy-matchy.
Matching is just a bonus. I haven't had too many occasions to replace tires, but a laceration or the appearance of wear bars has come as a convenient excuse to upgrade the pair.
A similar topic (but more contentious) in the moto world is whether it's ok to have tire of different types/tread patterns front and rear. I don't imagine anyone who ever rides a knobby tire would consider running a slick on the same bike, but other than that, tread really isn't an issue for us road cyclists, is it?
Old 02-04-16, 07:14 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCharlie
Always put the tire with the least wear in front. When a rear wears out, put a new tire on the front and put the old front on the rear. Seems counterintuitive since the rear wears faster, but the idea is that its much safer to have a blow out in the rear as opposed to the front. This is pretty standard advice.
Never say always. Have cycled safely for 45 years replacing only tire that needed it where it was needed.
Rotation is not bad but is unnecessary.
Old 02-04-16, 07:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Hmm, I'm trying to think if I've ever blown through the tread of a tire. I did blow a rusty wire bead off of a trailer tire once. Of course, I've had a few ordinary flats in my life

I don't go out of my way to rotate tires. But, if I do happen to have both front and rear tires off at the same time, I may choose to put the one with the least wear on the rear. Or visa-versa, depending on my mood.

I'm not a stickler for matching tires, but will periodically go with a matched pair.

Tire wear seems to be a combination of tread depth wear (quicker wear on rear), as well as an accumulation of small cuts (happens to both tires), and if mileage is low, also age (happens to both tires).

I've been working on getting my current pair worn down to the threads. I've had the "close" feeling for the last 2000 miles
Old 02-04-16, 08:08 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I do the front to back transition also. Been doing it for many years.
Old 02-04-16, 08:10 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I also move front to back and put new one on front.
Me too.
Old 02-04-16, 08:15 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Sometimes I just replace the rear.
Sometimes I rotate front to back.
Sometimes I replace both.
Sometimes they don't match.

Doesn't matter.
Old 02-04-16, 08:31 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Never say always. Have cycled safely for 45 years replacing only tire that needed it where it was needed.
Rotation is not bad but is unnecessary.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmm, I'm trying to think if I've ever blown through the tread of a tire. I did blow a rusty wire bead off of a trailer tire once. Of course, I've had a few ordinary flats in my life
This. I can't imagine why someone would ride where the tire gets thin enough to blow out. The tread must be like paper.
Old 02-04-16, 10:02 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCharlie
And you don't want a front tire with a flat worn out section in the middle. It affects steering in a bad way. Ask me how I know...
Old 02-04-16, 10:06 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by datlas
I also move front to back and put new one on front. It makes the most sense.
See this really makes no sense to me. Why put the worn tire from the front on the rear where most of the wear and tear is.
Old 02-04-16, 10:11 AM
surgeonstone

And now for the expert opinion.
Tire Rotation
Old 02-04-16, 10:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I replace when a tire begins a pattern of regular flatting. It signals when the tread isn't thick enough for the routine conditions.

I've flatted three times within a week on my commuter's rear tire. All punctures through the tread. Time to replace it. Tires ordered this morning...

On rotation, as others have said, the front gets the better tire.
Old 02-04-16, 10:38 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
See this really makes no sense to me. Why put the worn tire from the front on the rear where most of the wear and tear is.
It is supposedly for better steering and control as well as some better protection about flats and blowouts that could be catastrophic if they occurred on the wheel that contributes to steering. No matter how you approach it, you still have the same amount of rubber between both tires to wear down on the road. There is no gain or loss of tire life doing it one way instead of the other.

Also for some folks the front would get really old being used up so slowly. If you ride a rear for a year before using it up, you might ride a front (barring any road hazard destruction) for five years. That is a long time for a tire to be exposed to the elements, especially ozone. It is not uncommon for a dedicated front like that to show signs of ozone attack, cracking, drying out, etc. The rotation scheme assures that both your tires are relatively fresh.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-04-16, 10:53 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
It is supposedly for better steering and control as well as some better protection about flats and blowouts that could be catastrophic if they occurred on the wheel that contributes to steering. No matter how you approach it, you still have the same amount of rubber between both tires to wear down on the road. There is no gain or loss of tire life doing it one way instead of the other.

Also for some folks the front would get really old being used up so slowly. If you ride a rear for a year before using it up, you might ride a front (barring any road hazard destruction) for five years. That is a long time for a tire to be exposed to the elements, especially ozone. It is not uncommon for a dedicated front like that to show signs of ozone attack, cracking, drying out, etc. The rotation scheme assures that both your tires are relatively fresh.
Yeah but it's a pain in the ass so I don't do it. I see the reasons. I just hate prying tires off the rim and do so only with absolute necessity.
Can't be that important having ridden for so long not doing the rotation and never having problems as such.
Old 02-04-16, 11:57 AM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sadly I've never worn one out. I usually get a big whole ripped into them long before they are worn.
Old 02-04-16, 12:14 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Square Wheels
Sadly I've never worn one out. I usually get a big whole ripped into them long before they are worn.
That used to happen more often whan I started commuing into the city. I think it can be mitigated by learning all the nuances of your route (sidewalk seams, potholes, goatheads, etc). I could never get away from tiny pieces of glass or rock. But they won't kill the tire, either. I also had a spectacular blowout rolling onto the sidewalk from the road once. My rear wheel slipped on the metal edge of the curb in a driveway since I was riding in at an angle and I think it was wet out. It ripped a huge hole in the sidewall. So I now either take it at less of an angle and/or more slowly (especially in or after a rain).

Last edited by ptempel; 02-04-16 at 12:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.