Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixed + TKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 03:25 PM
double_stuf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed + TKR

after racing Riverwest 24 this year, i caught the fixed-gear bug again. (haven't ridden a FG since 2013)

but my knees are fubar. (both need replacing, but i'll be waiting a while)

long story short, i'd like to hear from someone 30+ with serious knee issues that still rides fixed, and decide if it's worth a shot for me.

i would obviously start with mild street gearing and ride almost all flats......

any help appreciated, thx

p.s. very few of the things my doctors & PT peeps have told me have held water, so here i am.
Old 09-21-17, 03:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,008 Times in 2,676 Posts
I don't have knee issues but I can say as long as you have actual brakes and not just skidding you should be in a bit better shape. If you use your knees and ankles to stop that is what causes a lot of issues.
Old 09-21-17, 11:05 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I would agree, and add in that a proper bike fit will help you immensely. Personally, I run SPD's on all of my bikes, so I am used to them already. The feel and amount of float that they offer along with a good cleat setup allows me to ride anywhere from 50-100 miles on any of my bikes with no knee pain. If you are smart about it, there should be no reason that you can't get back on a fixed gear again.
Old 09-22-17, 01:42 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A work colleague of mine had a 3cm cyst in his knee, caused him to cut rides short all the time. Had it removed after 3 years of discomfort (aged 29) and within 6 months he was riding again, (fixed) much further and in more comfort than before. Felt like a new knee apparently.
Before he had it removed, the doctors were telling him it was muscle damage. Took 4 doctors to find one who would x-ray it to finally find the cyst.
Old 09-24-17, 08:14 AM
double_stuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the replies....sure seems like the FG is a young man's game. hope i'm wrong

Originally Posted by checoles
A work colleague of mine had a 3cm cyst in his knee, caused him to cut rides short all the time. Had it removed after 3 years of discomfort (aged 29) and within 6 months he was riding again, (fixed) much further and in more comfort than before. Felt like a new knee apparently.
Before he had it removed, the doctors were telling him it was muscle damage. Took 4 doctors to find one who would x-ray it to finally find the cyst.
i had one that wore a huge chunk of my kneecap off. on top of everything else
Old 09-25-17, 01:30 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ouch :O

Yeah that might rule you out of any hardcore fixed gear riding!
Old 09-25-17, 05:56 AM
Big Pond

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you (OP) can comfortably ride a bike you can ride a fixed gear. Use brakes, avoid backward pressure on the pedals and stick to the flats. Aim low wrt gearing. Be sure to heed your Dr’s advice, once you find a Dr that agree’s with you, that is.

As to the age thing, a quick scan of the 40+ or 65+ fixed threads may help.
Old 09-25-17, 12:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,008 Times in 2,676 Posts
Originally Posted by double_stuf
thanks for the replies....sure seems like the FG is a young man's game. hope i'm wrong

i had one that wore a huge chunk of my kneecap off. on top of everything else
It only seems like a young person's game due to marketing and "fads". People have been riding fixed for a long time before it became popular. It has gotten clouded but riding fixed is an awesome experience and one that I don't think will ever die. TejanoTrackie 79PMooney and others are shining examples of people who ride fixed who aren't young in actual age numbers but could probably kick our butts fixed. TT actually races track events.
Old 09-25-17, 03:09 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by double_stuf
after racing Riverwest 24 this year, i caught the fixed-gear bug again. (haven't ridden a FG since 2013)

but my knees are fubar. (both need replacing, but i'll be waiting a while)

long story short, i'd like to hear from someone 30+ with serious knee issues that still rides fixed, and decide if it's worth a shot for me.

i would obviously start with mild street gearing and ride almost all flats......

any help appreciated, thx

p.s. very few of the things my doctors & PT peeps have told me have held water, so here i am.

As a Riverwester and an 30+ rider, mild gearing and a brake should allow you to ride most of the areas without issues. There are a few (short) hills around the city but nothing terrible.

Curious - did you ride the RW24 fixed? Solo or team? I've done is 6 times including tandem, team A, team B but would never dream of doing it (competitively) fixed. Yikes. I did a number on one of my knees the first year I rode tandem and couldn't imagine riding that solo on fixed.
Old 09-25-17, 09:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I started riding fixed gear at 51.

Wanted one since I first saw them watching the Olympics on TV when I was 8 years old.

-Tim-
Old 09-26-17, 10:05 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I started riding fixed gear at 51.

Wanted one since I first saw them watching the Olympics on TV when I was 8 years old.

-Tim-
I know you like researching your options, BUT DAMN!
Old 09-27-17, 05:21 AM
double_stuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
As a Riverwester and an 30+ rider, mild gearing and a brake should allow you to ride most of the areas without issues. There are a few (short) hills around the city but nothing terrible.

Curious - did you ride the RW24 fixed? Solo or team? I've done is 6 times including tandem, team A, team B but would never dream of doing it (competitively) fixed. Yikes. I did a number on one of my knees the first year I rode tandem and couldn't imagine riding that solo on fixed.
i rode B on a steel, geared roadie. but my teammate's bike had mechanical issues, and watching the FG guys FLY by down Humboldt in the dark looked awesome. it all got me thinking.

also, i know i'll suffer after the race is over regardless. may as well max out the fun in the process
Old 10-12-17, 03:57 PM
chelvel

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 50+ with NO serious knee issues. I'll recommend using only good flat pedals with no foot retention. I have no idea if fixed is better than freewheel for you or not. Riding fixed legs always move and it can be good or bad. I feel for myself that it is good.