Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Questions - Handlebar Types

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 11:30 PM
Ethan Mark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why do some bikes have drop bars and some have flat bars?

Old 10-17-22, 12:35 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
This should be good...

Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 10-17-22, 04:00 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
This should be closed.
Old 10-17-22, 05:21 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Because sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.
Old 10-17-22, 06:53 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Sorta like some people may be at bars and some may be behind them.

Non-frivolous answer: Drop bars allow a more aerodynamic position that helps a rider go faster with better power efficiency. Flat bars are more comfortable for most riders and also give better control in rough terrain.

Welcome to BikeForums. I hope you stick around.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-17-22, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't get the hostility to asking a very basic question.

That said, Moe Zhoost 's non-frivolous answer is pretty good, but I think it misses something. Bikes that are used for very long distances on roads also tend to be equipped with drop bars, and this is at least in part due to comfort. The "riding the hoods" hand position, where the hands rest on the on the rubbery bit of the brake levers, is for most people easier to maintain for hours on end than is the hand position on flat bars. When you ride the hoods, your hands are really pretty much oriented in the same position as they'd be on a steering wheel, thumbs on top, bar grasped with your fingers. You can also grasp the hooks of the drop bars for a different hand position if your hands are getting tired of the same position. On the flat bar, there really is only one hand position, and it's basically got your wrists in the same position as if you were typing, I used to ride long distances on flat bars, but I found as I got tied, I'd lean on my hands more and more, eventually tiring my wrists and hands.

Besides these basic types, there's a number of variants that allow multiple hand positions on basically a flat design. There's also bar ends. You might want to try google for some examples.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-22, 09:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethan Mark

Why do some bikes have drop bars and some have flat bars?

Because some people fine one style more comfortable and/or better suited for their needs.

Why do basketball shoes come in high top and low top?
Why do golf drivers come in various degrees of loft?
Why do running shoes come with different types of tread?

Options are great and allow for more participation.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-17-22, 10:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by epochers
Flat for comfort and drop for speed is one liner response

Not quite. Most touring bikes have drop bars, and it's not because of speed.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-22, 12:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Because some people fine one style more comfortable and/or better suited for their needs.

All those questions have better answers than "some people want this and some people want that."

Isn't a better reading of the question "why do people favor drop bars or flat bars?"
Old 10-17-22, 12:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
All those questions have better answers than "some people want this and some people want that."
Isn't a better reading of the question "why do people favor drop bars or flat bars?"
It all comes down to horses for courses. Thats just a fancier way of saying 'some people find one style more comfortable and/or better suited for their needs'.

Flat bars and drop bars exist because options give a user a chance to use the best setup for their specific needs/situation. Same goes for multiple lofts on a driver, various tread on running shoes, etc.

As for reading the OP's question differently, go ahead if you like. I read it how its worded. 90% sure it isnt a genuine question so I really didnt plan to think about the thread beyond my initial honest and genuine response.
Old 10-17-22, 12:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Why do some bikes have flat tires and some don't?
Old 10-17-22, 12:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It all comes down to horses for courses. Thats just a fancier way of saying 'some people find one style more comfortable and/or better suited for their needs'.

Flat bars and drop bars exist because options give a user a chance to use the best setup for their specific needs/situation. Same goes for multiple lofts on a driver, various tread on running shoes, etc.

As for reading the OP's question differently, go ahead if you like. I read it how its worded. 90% sure it isnt a genuine question so I really didnt plan to think about the thread beyond my initial honest and genuine response.

So basically you choose to read it as a stupid question that will yield no interesting answer rather than try to talk about why these bars are useful for different things?

"Why is this horse better suited for this course?" is actually a useful question, what's wrong with assuming that the OP actually wanted an answer more useful than "some because people want this and some people want that"?

Hell, somebody on this thread must regularly ride both kinds of bars. What a great opportunity for a "compare and contrast". Also, great case for N+1.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-22, 12:47 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
So basically you choose to read it as a stupid question that will yield no interesting answer rather than try to talk about why these bars are useful for different things?
Yes.

The OPs question, if even genuine, could be found on a google search.
Likes For prj71:
Old 10-17-22, 12:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

"Why is this horse better suited for this course?" is actually a useful question, what's wrong with assuming that the OP actually wanted an answer more useful than "some because people want this and some people want that"?

Hell, somebody on this thread must regularly ride both kinds of bars. What a great opportunity for a "compare and contrast". Also, great case for N+1.
My gosh someone is looking to argue. I answered the question and provided context, just like you seem to really want me to do.
I said there are flat and drops because people often find one more comfortable than the other and because some find one style better suited for their needs(MTB vs Road, commuter vs road, flexibility limitations, etc).

I did not say anything close to 'because some want this and some want that'.

It is unfortunate that you find my response and subsequent answers to be lacking. You clearly want an in depth compare and contrast post to take place so go right ahead and post one(beyond what you already posted on the topic). Instead you are apparently focusing on how you find my responses to be lacking and why I need to do better.
Old 10-17-22, 12:54 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Generally speaking, as some bikes age it becomes more difficult to maintain upright bars over an extended period of time.

Sometimes it happens in stages and the bars start looking like moustache bars. But as time goes on they go completely to drop bars.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-17-22, 01:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I said there are flat and drops because people often find one more comfortable than the other and because some find one style better suited for their needs(MTB vs Road, commuter vs road, flexibility limitations, etc).

I did not say anything close to 'because some want this and some want that'.

You lie like a rug. Your whole answer boiled down to "people like options". Literally the only interpretation as to why you included those three completely irrelevant questions. Frankly, the condescension was snarky, and I don't think OP deserved snark.

I'm not asking you to do anything other than not being a schmuck to a newbie.
Old 10-17-22, 01:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Generally speaking, as some bikes age it becomes more difficult to maintain upright bars over an extended period of time.

Sometimes it happens in stages and the bars start looking like moustache bars. But as time goes on they go completely to drop bars.

John

I add some Bikeagra to the chain lube.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-17-22 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-22, 01:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

You lie like a rug. Your whole answer boiled down to "people like options". Literally the only interpretation as to why you included those three completely irrelevant questions. Frankly, the condescension was snarky, and I don't think OP deserved snark.

I'm not asking you to do anything other than not being a schmuck to a newbie.
Like I said, someone is looking to argue.

"Because some people find one style more comfortable and/or better suited for their needs."
is not at all the same as
"people like options"

I did say options are great because they allow for more participation...because that is true. I had already posted that comfort is a reason for both bar styles and one's specific cycling needs is a reason for both bar styles. Options allow for that to happen. Options allow for someone to have an upright commuter or to ride an MTB comfortably.
Its unfortunate you are hung up on this, but I encourage you to try to move past what you perceive my comments to mean and accept what I have said they mean since, you know, I said them.

It also was not condescending, was not snarky, and I dont think I was being a shmuck. It was a genuine response from me- I decided to post a genuine response instead of a popcorn emoji or some flippant answer since there had already been a few of those and I though this very well could be a genuine question. So I answered it...accurately. The reason there are flat and drop bars really is to help make cycling more comfortable and because the bar styles are best suited for different applications therefore a cyclists needs vary depending on use. Its too bad you dont like that answer, but its correct.

Now why dont you waste an equal amount of time policing all of these thread responses which are clearly unhelpful?
This should be good...
This should be closed.
Because sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.
The OPs question, if even genuine, could be found on a google search.

Go tilt at more windmills.
Old 10-17-22, 01:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

That’s a good idea. I wasn’t able to fit my bike into a bathtub.

John
Old 10-17-22, 01:49 PM
70sSanO

As far as to whether the OP’s question is legitimate, I would think the term “drop bars” is not in a typical non cyclist’s vocabulary. I’m not sure my wife, who has ridden drop bars for years would use that phrase. She might call them racing handlebars, I’m not sure.

I’m only guessing, but the phrase may have been found researching on Google. That leads me to think the answer was already pretty easily found online. Most likely just as easy as finding a link to Bike Forums to post the question.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-17-22, 02:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Doesn’t that cause stiff links?

See what I did there?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-17-22, 05:53 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Like I said, someone is looking to argue.

"Because some people find one style more comfortable and/or better suited for their needs."
is not at all the same as
"people like options"

I did say options are great because they allow for more participation...because that is true. I had already posted that comfort is a reason for both bar styles and one's specific cycling needs is a reason for both bar styles. Options allow for that to happen. Options allow for someone to have an upright commuter or to ride an MTB comfortably.
Its unfortunate you are hung up on this, but I encourage you to try to move past what you perceive my comments to mean and accept what I have said they mean since, you know, I said them.

It also was not condescending, was not snarky, and I dont think I was being a shmuck. It was a genuine response from me- I decided to post a genuine response instead of a popcorn emoji or some flippant answer since there had already been a few of those and I though this very well could be a genuine question. So I answered it...accurately. The reason there are flat and drop bars really is to help make cycling more comfortable and because the bar styles are best suited for different applications therefore a cyclists needs vary depending on use. Its too bad you dont like that answer, but its correct.

Now why dont you waste an equal amount of time policing all of these thread responses which are clearly unhelpful?

Go tilt at more windmills.
why the OP is typing in bold? to get more attention?
Old 10-17-22, 08:38 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 05 fuji
This should be closed.
Do not worry this thread will soon go off the rails and will get closed. In the meantime just enjoy the show plus eat popcorn. xD
Likes For blue192:
Old 10-17-22, 08:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Eds0123
why the OP is typing in bold? to get more attention?
The bold text isn't the OP's wording.
Old 10-17-22, 09:14 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Tubeless... 😉 😂
Likes For tempocyclist:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.