Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Torque wrench recommendation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Torque wrench recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 02:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Even the cheapest one is wastly better than guessing. Like having a cheap carpenters ruler vs none.
True... most people have no idea what 5nm is and I bet 99% will make it more that twice as tight if doing it by "feel".
Old 09-25-18, 02:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
True... most people have no idea what 5nm is and I bet 99% will make it more that twice as tight if doing it by "feel".
Have some fun. Get a torque wrench out and makes some guesses on when you think you got it to a given torque. You won't get it close unless you've gotten your "feel" calibrated with a torque wrench after a lot of feedback. There are numerous instances and surveys around the web on the accuracy of human "feel" vs a torque wrench. The human "feel" is all over the map with big variances from what it was supposed to be.

J.
Old 09-25-18, 11:03 PM
sgibson389

Bikes: '18 Giant Contend SL Disc, '94 Specialized Sport Rock 4000, '96 Trek 420 Fast Track, '01 Trek 7200 Multitrack, '89 Victorinox Montague, '11 Trek Navigator 2.0, '03 GT Avalanche 3.0, '09 Downtube 9, '85 Trek 400 Series, '89 Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Preset torqued

I was out of town and bought a new bike and knew I would need to adjust the composite seat post and bought a preset 5 nm torque tool. Since then I have seen a set that had various preset tools. I have various torque wrenches at home, but for me I like the preset ones for some applications.
Not being used to newton meters it surprised me how tight 5 nm was.
Old 01-01-20, 10:12 PM
JamesReid

Bikes: mountain bike and electric dirt bike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlennR
Hi mate, im jus new here. could you please recommend me the best torque wrench here
in terms of price and durability. Thanks in adavance.

Last edited by JamesReid; 04-03-20 at 07:25 PM. Reason: im not intended to promote the link, sorry please delete it. thanks
Old 01-02-20, 05:04 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by JamesReid
Hi mate, im jus new here. could you please recommend me the best torque wrench here https://sydneytools.com.au/category/...orque-wrenches
in terms of price and durability. Thanks in adavance.
This one will do the job.
https://sydneytools.com.au/product/b...m-31-128in-lbs
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-02-20, 05:12 PM
JamesReid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlennR
This one will do the job.
Thanks mate for the quick response, are you sure with the 1/4" drive can do that kind of job?

Last edited by JamesReid; 04-03-20 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 07:54 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by JamesReid
Thanks mate for the quick response, are you sure with the 1/4" drive can do that kind of job?
The only time I needed a larger one was for the crank bolt.

But for me that's not a problem since I have 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 torque wrenches.

I got the 1/4 when I bought a carbon frame.
Old 01-06-20, 11:32 AM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Ended up buying the Effetto Mariposa PRO - 2 of them 2-16 and 10-60. Love them!
Old 01-06-20, 11:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by sgibson389
I was out of town and bought a new bike and knew I would need to adjust the composite seat post and bought a preset 5 nm torque tool. Since then I have seen a set that had various preset tools. I have various torque wrenches at home, but for me I like the preset ones for some applications.
Not being used to newton meters it surprised me how tight 5 nm was.
It is tight! Just enough to squeeze everything in place without damaging the fibres
Old 01-06-20, 03:25 PM
JamesReid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for your great advice GlennR. I appreciate it.
Old 01-07-20, 12:50 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Boerd
Looking to buy a 3-15 or so range torque wrench. Which ones are the most accurate (USA/EU/Japan Made)?

Any ANSI standard compliant torque wrench with a calibration certificate will manage at least +/- 4% of indicated value from 20-100% of maximum torque when used in the clockwise direction.

An uncertified wrench will probably do as well although you'd need to verify. Harbor Freights usually do OK.

For that range I'd get a 1/4 hex bit ratchet. You can fit into smaller spaces than with a square drive head. Quality bits (e.g. Wiha) are much less expensive than nice bit sockets (e.g. SnapOn). Bit sets take up less toolbox space than socket racks.

As an incorrigible tool geek who had a bad experience with a Craftsman torque wrench as a young man (my HOA made me buy a new garage door after I threw my wrench through it when it failed to produce a discernable click and things broke) I'm partial to Stahlwille split beam wrenches with interchangeable heads that can be reversed for counter-clockwise operation; although imported from Germany you're looking at $200 plus a $50 insert.

I like the 730 (now 730 Quick) series that lets you set torque instantly using your thumbs.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-07-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 04:37 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
To me, you are the real perpetrator of false equivalency. I explained the dynamic succinctly. If you don't understand it, I can't help you. You say a torque wrench can be a scourge in the hands of a poor mechanic and the truth is, a torque wrench even without torque calibration will vastly save the average wrench much more than it will go wrong. This is obvious to someone with common sense and why torque wrenches exist.

To carve out common ground, is a torque wrench essential? Can I rebuild a car or motorcycle engine or build a bicycle without a torque wrench? Any day of the week. Will it be better generally if I use one for more torque critical parts? Any day of the week. Torque spec's are derived for a reason and a torque wrench is generally able to hit this torque target better than 'any mechanic'. I believe you were trying to make the point that a master mechanic can sense when torque is going too high with a bad wrench. Of course. Years of experience. Even more of reason why an inexperienced mechanic needs the guidance of a torque wrench. A torque wrench will save an inexperienced wrench much more often than break a bicycle. That is why they exist and are so vastly used.
Oh boy, two engineers having a pissing contest.
Old 04-27-20, 02:27 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A motorcycle, like any other car, has many threaded connections. Any fastenings in a motorcycle require compliance with a certain torque. To tighten the threaded connection with the necessary force, I use a special torque wrench for motorcycles. With professional motorcycle maintenance, you cannot handle just the standard tool. Having looked at the key selection overview here https://torquewrenchguide.com/review...r-motorcycles/ bought torque wrenches of three different ranges with an overlapping torque range at an affordable price.

Last edited by nob; 04-27-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 05:37 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I use Park Tool TW 5.2 and TW 6.2 torque wrenches with Wiha Hex and Torx 3/8'' Metric drive bit sets. The Park Tool sockets/hex/torx are crap compared to comparable Wiha and Wera sets.
Old 04-27-20, 09:44 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Boerd
Ended up buying the Effetto Mariposa PRO - 2 of them 2-16 and 10-60. Love them!
Have their 2-16 and it is a great wrench. Also have the Park tw-5.2. The Effetto Mariposa is definitely better IMO, though pricey.
Old 04-28-20, 06:38 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I ordered a cheap bicycle tool kit from Amazon (BikeHand) that came with a mini torque wrench ''needle point gauge'' style (0 to 10nm) and surprisingly, it works great & is enough accurate for my needs. I am honestly surprised about this kit.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a VENZO clicking torque wrench before that; it was a little more accurate, but a lot more expensive. I returned it last month & ordered the tool kit above instead for the same price.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-28-20 at 06:42 AM.