Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

26" x 1 1/8" Gatorskins for 86' Peugeot Orient Express

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

26" x 1 1/8" Gatorskins for 86' Peugeot Orient Express

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 09:07 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
26" x 1 1/8" Gatorskins for '86 Peugeot Orient Express

Has anyone tried these tires:

Continental GatorSkin Urban Specialty Bicycle Tire with DuraSkin (26x1 1/8)

I'm planning to ride mostly on-road and like the idea of puncture resistance. I imagine there are nicr 26" road tires out there, but I am looking for any info on these.

My Peugeot has 26x1.75" Araya rims, do you think these tires are too narrow for my rims? Will they still fit/work?

Thanks!

Last edited by specialmonkey; 01-29-20 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-29-20, 09:46 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey

I'm planning to ride mostly on-road and like the idea of puncture resistance. I imagine there are nicr 26" road tires out there, but I am looking for any info on these.

My Peugeot has 26x1.75" Araya rims, do you think these tires are too narrow for my rims? Will they still fit/work?

Thanks!
Be careful that the tire is the right diameter to fit your rim. 26" could mean 559 mm bcd, 571 mm bcd, 584mm bcd, 590 mm bcd or 597 mm bcd. My suspicion is that the 26 1 1/8" tire may be for 650C i.e. 571 mm bcd. I say this because it seems to be a rule that 559 mm bcd tires are sold as decimal fraction sizes. It would be 26 X 1.125 if it were an mtb tire.

As for width (28 mm) , it would be narrow for the rim (which is probaby about 25-27 mm wide). Narrowest appropriate tires are probably 26 X 1.5 (37 - 38 mm)
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 01-29-20, 09:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I hate skinny 26 inch tires on a MTB. They're just not that comfy. 700 x 28c works fine on a road bike but that same width on a 26 inch wheel does not work as well in my experience. YMMV.

Personally I'd get a lightweight 26 x 1.5 tire. Schwalbe marathon supreme touring comes in 26 x 1.6 and it's a reasonably light tire with good flat protection. The panaracer protite series is also good; the 26 x 1.5 folding version weighs 420 grams.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-29-20, 03:22 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I also have some wider Pasela ProTite 26 x 1.50 Folding Tires which sound like a better choice for fit and ride, I'll probably use those instead.
Old 01-29-20, 04:01 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Just because no one ever mentions Pugeot "______" Express bikes...Here is my sons Montreal Express. The first is after I replaced the wheels & drivetrain. The second is after a complete & total overhaul/rebuild. Both donning the above questioned Continental 559x28 tires. IIRC it came with Araya rims, a 2x5(or 6?) drivetrain & 26x1.75 tires.

The conti's are ok, but the other posters are right, 1.5 or 1.75 tires are probably better.

If you want to do new wheels 'cause the axle is bent or something, (Like this bike was,) the rear triangle is either 120 or 126mm spacing. I don't remember which. Getting it coldset is no big deal. Then any MTB wheelset will work fine. IIRC: I had to hand file the front fork drop outs to accept a standard quick release skewer.

My son's Montreal Express has a Nexus 7 IGH with an 18 tooth cog & 36-52 crankset. I brazed on downtube friction shifter bosses, moved the rear derailleur cable boss & brazed on a kickstand mounting plate.

Good bikes, if a little heavy.

20181007_130531 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

20191123_164631 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Edit: If you get a mind to replace the crankset, for much lighter aluminum, the chain stays are pretty wide & you run a risk of interferance with the crank arm. What I found worked was a 68x126 Bb-UN55 square taper & a 5x110BCD mountain triple crankset minus the inner ring.

Last edited by base2; 01-29-20 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-29-20, 04:21 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If the tires are actually labelled as 26x1 1/8 then they likely will not fit on the rims at all - it's a completely different size from the 26 x X.XX (decimal) size that mountain bikes were equipped with since the '70s.

If the tires are labelled as "26 x 1.125" then they will fit on your rims, but will be very narrow. If your rims are wider than 28mm (Many older MTB rims were 1.5" - about 37mm - wide) then the tires would probably be too narrow.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Old 01-29-20, 07:58 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey

Thanks!
My friend has skinny 26" Gatorskins on his 93 Stumpjumper. He says its fast, but I am just as slow as he is on 2.3" slicks. I used to ride skinny slicks but the new fat slicks are just as fast, plusher, and doesn't change the ride height.

I think both these bikes have about the same rim width
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-30-20, 06:37 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If the tires are actually labelled as 26x1 1/8 then they likely will not fit on the rims at all - it's a completely different size from the 26 x X.XX (decimal) size that mountain bikes were equipped with since the '70s.

If the tires are labelled as "26 x 1.125" then they will fit on your rims, but will be very narrow. If your rims are wider than 28mm (Many older MTB rims were 1.5" - about 37mm - wide) then the tires would probably be too narrow.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
These particular Continental tires are often referred to interchangibly. 26x1.125 by some. (There are some on eBay right now) But yeah, it probably doesn't help that Continental marketing material refers to them as both 26x1&⅛, & 559x28 depending on the retailer.

The sidewall is embossed as 559-28.

The confusion probably stems from the decimal fraction for ⅛ is .125 I once bought a set labled as such for $30/tire.
Old 01-30-20, 09:22 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
My friend has skinny 26" Gatorskins on his 93 Stumpjumper. He says its fast, but I am just as slow as he is on 2.3" slicks. I used to ride skinny slicks but the new fat slicks are just as fast, plusher, and doesn't change the ride height.

I think both these bikes have about the same rim width
that's one handsome Haro there, and the vintage crocheted mitts FTW...
Old 01-30-20, 09:26 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Just because no one ever mentions Pugeot "______" Express bikes...Here is my sons Montreal Express. The first is after I replaced the wheels & drivetrain. The second is after a complete & total overhaul/rebuild. Both donning the above questioned Continental 559x28 tires. IIRC it came with Araya rims, a 2x5(or 6?) drivetrain & 26x1.75 tires.

The conti's are ok, but the other posters are right, 1.5 or 1.75 tires are probably better.

If you want to do new wheels 'cause the axle is bent or something, (Like this bike was,) the rear triangle is either 120 or 126mm spacing. I don't remember which. Getting it coldset is no big deal. Then any MTB wheelset will work fine. IIRC: I had to hand file the front fork drop outs to accept a standard quick release skewer.

My son's Montreal Express has a Nexus 7 IGH with an 18 tooth cog & 36-52 crankset. I brazed on downtube friction shifter bosses, moved the rear derailleur cable boss & brazed on a kickstand mounting plate.

Good bikes, if a little heavy.

20181007_130531 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

20191123_164631 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Edit: If you get a mind to replace the crankset, for much lighter aluminum, the chain stays are pretty wide & you run a risk of interferance with the crank arm. What I found worked was a 68x126 Bb-UN55 square taper & a 5x110BCD mountain triple crankset minus the inner ring.
Great looking build, I was wondering about the rear setup before I read your post, which lamp is on front?
Old 01-30-20, 10:31 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by qclabrat
Great looking build, I was wondering about the rear setup before I read your post, which lamp is on front?
The light was from another build a few years ago. It is a Luxos IQ2 and has built in USB charging by way of an internal voltage regulator & pass through battery. The light itself works great, but the pass through battery capacity rapidly degrades with use/time and decreasing temperature. It's virtually nonexistant after a year of regular use or when temps are in the 20's. You can't charge & light at the same time, but it will keep your Garmin topped up while moving & does what it says.

The bracket is metal, unlike some other dynamo lights. So I was able disassemble, stick it in a vice & bend it around to clear the canti brake stradle cable. Overall it was a good purchase as a light & bolting on means it's less likely to be messed with by strangers with sticky fingers.

Last edited by base2; 01-30-20 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-30-20, 10:49 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
that's one handsome Haro there, and the vintage crocheted mitts FTW...
Thanks. Haro Handsome. Sounds nice.

Originally Posted by base2
These particular Continental tires are often referred to interchangibly. 26x1.125 by some. (There are some on eBay right now) But yeah, it probably doesn't help that Continental marketing material refers to them as both 26x1&⅛, & 559x28 depending on the retailer.

The sidewall is embossed as 559-28.

The confusion probably stems from the decimal fraction for ⅛ is .125 I once bought a set labled as such for $30/tire.
Yes, forgot to mention that despite the fraction, they are for MTB 26"