Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Booby Traps on Dallas Bike Trail Found

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-22-20, 10:55 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

https://www.fox4news.com/news/cyclis...n-dallas-trail
Old 01-24-20, 11:44 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Too many jerkfaces in this world. I have run across similar things on our local trail. One day I was riding when I spotted 3 young men (rather well off looking guys) standing on an overpass scoping out the trail. Kind of suspicious. As I approached, I noticed good size boulders laid across the entire width of the trail. Each about 30 pounds (used to line the river). I stopped and tossed them all back into the landscape. Gave them the finger then rode off. I had to female riders with me and hate to think about one of them doing a face plant because of some jerkfaces.

They looked disappointed then just walked away. Probably too much work for them to do it again knowing (at least I hope) another rider would remove the boulders as well.
Old 01-25-20, 05:58 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Not an intentional booby trap but they do work the same way. It's those long thin retractable dog leashes. Rover is on one side of the trail, often in the bushes, owner is on the opposite side of the trail and walking or looking into the woods on their side. Unsuspecting bicyclist rides by and the leash catches their front wheel and dumps them. Nasty scrapes ensue. Ticks me off immensely especially when it's a little kid that gets wiped out by the leash.

Cheers
Old 01-26-20, 07:05 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Unsuspecting bicyclist rides by and the leash catches their front wheel and dumps them.
Cheers
This situation should never be unsuspected. Anytime I encounter a dog owner I make darn sure I know that the dog is under control before I pass. Local MUP rules limit leashes to 6 ft non-retractable, though many dog walkers don't obey (just as many cyclists don't obey the speed limit).
Old 01-26-20, 09:04 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
This situation should never be unsuspected. Anytime I encounter a dog owner I make darn sure I know that the dog is under control before I pass. Local MUP rules limit leashes to 6 ft non-retractable, though many dog walkers don't obey (just as many cyclists don't obey the speed limit).
Ah, but see the problem is that the dog is out of sight on one side of the trail and the dog walker is such that an approaching bicyclist does NOT see the reel portion of the retractable leash. Plus the leash is a LOT longer than a mere six feet. When that thin leash is across the trail it can be darn near impossible to see at the best of times let alone if a bicyclist isn't expecting it to be there. Like I said, the dog is NOT visible from the approaching bicyclist's point of view. Nor is the reel that holds the leash as that reel is often hidden (unintentionally though it may be) by the dog walker's body. Thus I said that the leash across the trail is an unexpected hazard as the approaching bicyclist does not have any idea that the dog is thereabouts or that the person is walking a dog.

Cheers
Old 01-26-20, 10:12 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Were any boobies caught?
Old 01-26-20, 08:21 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
The bad part about this is that it was isolated, but now the news has made national attention out of it, so now there will be copy cat people trying to the same thing across this nation. The news should never publicize this kind of stuff.
Old 01-26-20, 09:11 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
I read a story about a guy in Colorado I believe who got caught with a boobie trap and ended up breaking some bones and had some pretty serious injuries. Scary what people will do in the name of fun.
Old 01-28-20, 09:49 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
The bad part about this is that it was isolated, but now the news has made national attention out of it, so now there will be copy cat people trying to the same thing across this nation. The news should never publicize this kind of stuff.
Hate to burst your bubble, but this has been going on (and making news) for at least a couple decades now.
Likes For Notso_fastLane: