Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 04:22 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Hub Problem

Lately, the rear wheel on my bike has been acting up. The brakes (V-brakes) have been really tense ever since I changed the tires on the bike a couple months ago.

Last week, I had a flat on the rear. After getting home, I noticed a problem with the hub on the rear wheel. It seems the nut holding the guts of the hub in has come loose, which now allows it to roll freely. Is this normal? If I loosen the quick release skewer, I can actually pull the internals of the hub out.

Do I just need to tighten this nut back down? If so, does that nut need to be centered? I apologize if these are dumb questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-20, 04:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
This is one of those things that if you don't know you probably should take to a bike shop for the first time. Let them explain to you in-person what's going on and if they'll let you watch them fix it, then do so.

Your pic's really don't show enough to begin telling you what to do first. I'm not even certain what's going on to let that much axle stick through the non drive side of the hub.

When you took the wheel off, you didn't use a wrench on anything did you?
Old 02-03-20, 04:43 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
This is one of those things that if you don't know you probably should take to a bike shop for the first time. Let them explain to you in-person what's going on and if they'll let you watch them fix it, then do so.

Your pic's really don't show enough to begin telling you what to do first. I'm not even certain what's going on to let that much axle stick through the non drive side of the hub.

When you took the wheel off, you didn't use a wrench on anything did you?
Unfortunately, the nearest bike shop is about 30 miles away and the bike shop I usually take this bike to is about 2 hours away. The nut which holds the internals of the hub has seemed to come loose at some point.

I didn't use a wrench to remove anything. This bike has a quick release mechanism on both wheels, but I typically have to unscrew the quick release (the non-lever side) to remove the wheel. But that is, obviously, loosened just using my hand and is loosened just enough to get the wheel off the bike.
Old 02-03-20, 04:52 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
That's a freewheel and you probably broke the axle as is common with freewheel hubs. It's due to the unsupported length beyond the bearings.

Cro-mo axles are readily available to easily replace this. You need to know the length, diameter, and threading and have a couple of the right cone wrenches.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-p...axles.html?p=2
https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor...eatured&page=2

https://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-025/000.html

Last edited by dedhed; 02-03-20 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-03-20, 04:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well on the non-drive side, can you see any bearings in there? I suspect that hub has loose ball bearings and wonder if some or most have fallen out on both sides, which might explain how so much axle can stick out on the non-drive side.

You can clearly see the cone bearing on the last pic. Who serviced the axle last? Grease looks fairly new.

You might glean some info about what you are seeing and what to do from this link. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

edit...
Yep, @dedhed might be right. axle could well be broke. Never had one myself though.
Old 02-03-20, 05:22 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well on the non-drive side, can you see any bearings in there? I suspect that hub has loose ball bearings and wonder if some or most have fallen out on both sides, which might explain how so much axle can stick out on the non-drive side.

You can clearly see the cone bearing on the last pic. Who serviced the axle last? Grease looks fairly new.

You might glean some info about what you are seeing and what to do from this link. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

edit...
Yep, @dedhed might be right. axle could well be broke. Never had one myself though.
This bike is just barely over a year old - I purchased it in December 2018. I'll pull the entire axle out and take a picture of it, and see about the bearings.
Old 02-03-20, 05:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If you bought this at a bike shop, then I'd consider not doing anything until you can get the bike back to them. You might have some warranty or "good-will" with the LBS that they will be willing to make this right for little cost.

If you got it at a big-box store or online, then not so much a concern.
Old 02-03-20, 06:41 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Looks like a broken axle -- the locknuts appear secure in place.
Old 02-03-20, 08:32 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It was bought from a bike shop - the one that is about 2 hours away. I'll talk to them and see what they can do. IIRC they have a lifetime labor warranty on the bike, but you have to cover parts. Is a new axle an expensive part?

Out of curiosity (and for my future reference), what causes the axle to break like this?
Old 02-03-20, 09:08 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by fullergarrett
It was bought from a bike shop - the one that is about 2 hours away. I'll talk to them and see what they can do. IIRC they have a lifetime labor warranty on the bike, but you have to cover parts. Is a new axle an expensive part?

Out of curiosity (and for my future reference), what causes the axle to break like this?
The cone on t he right side of a freewheel axle is a fair distance away from the end of the axle. This gives a long section of unsupported axle. When riding over rough terrain (or dropping off of curbs (kerbs) with a load or a heavy rider the axle can break (or bend). This problem was virtually eliminated with the development of cassette hubs that has the right side cone very close to the end of the axle.

Cheers
Old 02-03-20, 09:10 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Dumb question: would it be possible to swap the freewheel axle out for the cassette axle, or would that require replacing the gears as well? I'm a heavier rider ("Clydesdale" rider) and would prefer to have something more reliable.
Old 02-03-20, 09:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
They are the SAME axle.
10mmX1.0mm by the correct length for your drop out spacing. Typically 11mm longer than the DO spacing.
It's the location of the bearings and amount of "unsupported" axle involved.
I'm not sure if that's why yours broke, since you didn't pull the broken axle all the way out so we could see precisely WHERE the break is
Study this-
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 02-03-20 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 09:49 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
I'd take it back to the shop, looks like a snapped axle and they can replace that and install new bearings. It may be that there's still a warranty on the part or even shop good will due to the age since purchased. If not it's usually around 12-15 for an axle, another few bucks for bearings, and 15-20 to install though shops vary; the cones are probably fine due to age and hopefully not being this way for long.
A replacement wheel with a freehub built in is probably in the neighborhood of 60-75 plus another 20-25 for a 7sp cassette; shops I've worked at didn't charge to install a new wheel and cassette but could be 10-20 to cover adjusting der and brakes so not a cheap option. If you're heavy though it could be worth it long term, I've seen plenty of freewheel axles snapped due to weight, strength or rugged use; have never seen a cassette axle snap. Your prices may vary a lot from what I listed and if the shop is too far away and you're technically capable then a decent cassette wheel can be had really affordably.
Old 02-03-20, 10:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Dumb question: would it be possible to swap the freewheel axle out for the cassette axle, or would that require replacing the gears as well? I'm a heavier rider ("Clydesdale" rider) and would prefer to have something more reliable.
It’s not really a dumb question. The simple answer is no.

The much longer and more complicated answer is that it’s that the axles are different, it that the hubs are different. The freewheel threads onto the hub while the cassette slides onto a cassette body. Freewheel hubs are prone to bending the axle because the axle is cantilevered away from the bearings and is unsupported. You have about an inch of axle that tends to bend easily. The freehub is supported on the end of the axle next to the frame. If you keep the freewheel, the axle is going to bent again. It’s a systemic problem with freewheel hubs. Get a freehub wheel and solve the problem. It’ll will cost more to replace the wheel in the short run but it will save you in the long run since replace the axle will be a regular occurrence with the freewheel wheel.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-03-20, 10:08 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
First off...

The primary cause of broken M9 / M10 / 3/8 axles is - misaligned dropouts.

A bent or broken axle is simply the observable symptom.

So when you take the bike back to the shop, not only will you need a new axle (if broken) but probably new cones and bearings as well. But before even doing that - make sure the hub races are stil good.

Before even putting the repiared wheel/hub back into the frame - have the shop check the dropout alignments. It's a 5 minute job using tools that look like T-handles with cups. Shouldn't cost more than 16.00.

Both freehub type hubs AND freehub type hubs routinely break axles - freehub type hubs do provide better axle end suppot - but it's not a guarantee - just an improvement.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-03-20, 10:17 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I took some pictures of the removed axle. It didn’t look broke, but it looked ever so slightly bent. When I removed it one of the bearings pinged out, but luckily it didn’t roll under something.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s not really a dumb question. The simple answer is no.

The much longer and more complicated answer is that it’s that the axles are different, it that the hubs are different. The freewheel threads onto the hub while the cassette slides onto a cassette body. Freewheel hubs are prone to bending the axle because the axle is cantilevered away from the bearings and is unsupported. You have about an inch of axle that tends to bend easily. The freehub is supported on the end of the axle next to the frame. If you keep the freewheel, the axle is going to bent again. It’s a systemic problem with freewheel hubs. Get a freehub wheel and solve the problem. It’ll will cost more to replace the wheel in the short run but it will save you in the long run since replace the axle will be a regular occurrence with the freewheel wheel.
I will definitely look into upgrading to a free hub wheel, especially since the freewheel axles breaking seem to be a common occurrence. I’m a heavy rider (340 #) so it’s likely worth it.
Old 02-03-20, 10:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Are they still making 6-speed freewheels?

A replacement axle, cones, bearings, grease, etc... should be $10 to $25 + labor.

To change from a freewheel to a cassette, you will need to replace either the hub or the whole wheel. While the hubs are relatively cheap, you won't find a bike shop that will do the swap on a cheap wheel.

While there are some old 6-speed cassettes, you won't find any made in the last 20 years.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycl...ing_Dimensions

Can you get the numbers on your freewheel? It is quite likely that it will have a 5.0 sprocket pitch, which means that your indexed shifters should work on a 7-speed cassette (possibly only shifting 6 sprockets).

Anyway, get your axle replaced, then start thinking about a new wheel + cassette.
7-speed cassettes are cheap, but I realize it all adds up.
Old 02-03-20, 10:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Your 1st pic clearly shows a broken axle. Other pics just get in the way.
The axle is 10MM DIAMETER, You have a long piece and the short piece.
The short piece has the cone, spacer & lock nut.
The long piece has a cone & lock nut. (& seal)
Lock nuts likely take a 17mm wrench, although possibly smaller.
The skewer is 5?mm dia. It is NOT an axle.
Old 02-03-20, 11:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
I took some pictures of the removed axle. It didn’t look broke, but it looked ever so slightly bent. When I removed it one of the bearings pinged out, but luckily it didn’t roll under something.

I will definitely look into upgrading to a free hub wheel, especially since the freewheel axles breaking seem to be a common occurrence. I’m a heavy rider (340 #) so it’s likely worth it.
Yep. Classic axle break. Breaks right at the end of the cones just like yours. Get a freehub wheel and you’ll never have to worry about it again.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-03-20, 11:50 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
For your weight I second the opinion that you'll be FAR better off with a wheel with a freehub instead of a freewheel. It might cost a bit but you'll have a lot less worry about bending or breaking an axle again.

Cheers
Old 02-04-20, 08:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

If you replace the axle, to get additional strength, you can replace with a non quick release cro-mo solid nutted axle. You'd then have to carry a wrench for flat tire repair.
Old 02-04-20, 12:33 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If I replace with the free hub wheel, would I need to give up the quick release? It makes things rather easy when changing a flat, especially out in the field.
Old 02-04-20, 01:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

If I replace with the free hub wheel, would I need to give up the quick release? It makes things rather easy when changing a flat, especially out in the field.
The real problem will be that a 6/7 speed freehub hub is an old obsolete thing (see Shimano unigluide freehub).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Sto...-/390518724303

You'll most likely have to upgrade your RH shifter to accommodate an 8 speed freehub wheel which will be the most readily available replacement wheel. I'll assume this is Shimano equipped so likely you won't have any derailleur compatibility issues when changing shifters.

When doing that you'll need to know wheel size, OLD (over locknut distance), rim width, spoke count (36 for you) to purchase a wheel that will serve your purposes.
At your size you'd want a 36 hole strong good quality rim, something like Mavic A319 or Sun cr18. You'll also want it properly tensioned to keep it in shape.
I'm not a big guy so I'm sure someone else can chime in on alternatives for a big guy regarding rims and spokes.
Old 02-04-20, 01:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
You should be able to change to bolt-on with either a freewheel or freehub. Many of the solid axles use English threading, but metric should be available (making the conversion easier).

As I understand it the difference in strength between quick release and solid axle is minimal, and perhaps more dependent on material type and heat treating.

Still, it might be just enough.

Here is a 10x1 solid axle kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Action-10X1-1.../dp/B06XCSXMCX

You may or may not reuse your old cones. And, it doesn't specify the material.
Old 02-04-20, 01:27 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

I'd seriously consider having the LBS throw a sold axle in to repair and make ridable for now and start saving for an upgrade in the bike.
Without knowing what you have now, upgrading this bike to a freehub may not be worth the costs involved, and a different bike may be the most effective solution long term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.