Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What bottom bracket do I neded for a pinarello fp8?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 12:31 PM
StevePupel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a Pinarello FP8 frame. The bottom bracket has some wording around it: "OVER SIZE BOTTOM BRACKET", and some strange word in an odd font that I think says CROXOVER.

I measure the inside diameter of the threaded socket at 34.26 mm. I measure the width as 71.5 mm but the carbon fiber protrudes slightly from the shell a bit, so I suppose it's just 70mm.

I want a bottom bracket that will fit my Shimano 105 crankset.

I'm confused a bit. I bought the Shimano BBR60 and I can tell they accidentally sent me the 68mm English threaded even though I ordered the 70mm italian threaded. But I wonder if any of you can comment on this ... The bottom bracket outside diameter is smaller than the inside diameter of the frame. I mean, I can just put the thing inside the frame without any turning. But the 70mm and 68mm refers to the width of the shell. But I'm finding that the shell diameter is different too. I can see bottom brackets I can buy that say italian threaded and 70mm but does that mean the diameter will be correct? I thought the threading meant the threads per inch, but perhaps in this case it implies a larger shell diameter also. I don't know.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge!

Steve
Old 05-07-20, 12:51 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 373 Posts
Is this a recent production Pinarello? They did follow the herd and offer press fit bottom brackets for a while, but they saw the light and reverted to threaded bottom brackets. All Italian as far as I know.
If it is Italian threading, an English threaded bottom bracket is too small in diameter to engage the threads, which is a good thing, because the Italian is right hand thread both sides, whereas the English is not.
So,go find a set of Italian threaded Shimano cups and you should be set.
Old 05-07-20, 01:09 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the same bike made around 2011. And, it has Italian bottom bracket.
SHIMANO Dura-Ace BB-R9100 Bottom Bracket Black, 70/Italian

Here is the link on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure it's 70/Italian

Last edited by hcgaloi; 05-07-20 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 01:56 PM
StevePupel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Is this a recent production Pinarello? They did follow the herd and offer press fit bottom brackets for a while, but they saw the light and reverted to threaded bottom brackets. All Italian as far as I know.
If it is Italian threading, an English threaded bottom bracket is too small in diameter to engage the threads, which is a good thing, because the Italian is right hand thread both sides, whereas the English is not.
So,go find a set of Italian threaded Shimano cups and you should be set.
Dan, thanks for you reply! I saw that they're both right hand thread. Do you think I'll need any kind of lock washer? I thought they did reverse threading on spinning things when they want to prevent it from loosening itself.
Old 05-07-20, 01:59 PM
StevePupel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hcgaloi, thanks for you reply! You people are the best.

OK, it sounds like my only problem is that the people who shipped out my order sent out the 68.
Old 05-07-20, 02:31 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by StevePupel
Dan, thanks for you reply! I saw that they're both right hand thread. Do you think I'll need any kind of lock washer? I thought they did reverse threading on spinning things when they want to prevent it from loosening itself.
Italian (also French) bottom brackets need the drive side cup tightened very firmly to keep them from loosening, a weakness of the designs.
Old 05-07-20, 03:11 PM
StevePupel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, tight, but no sort of lock washer.
Old 05-07-20, 04:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by StevePupel
OK, tight, but no sort of lock washer.
That's why it has to be tight. Some may put a layer of Teflon tape as an anti- seize/corrosion measure.
Old 05-08-20, 10:17 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Use a torque wrench to make sure or use a plumbers Teflon pipe dope to keep it from unscrewing.