Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cracked road bike rim

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cracked road bike rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 11:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4824 Post(s)
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,568 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
It's a confluence of bad: Aluminum has a high coefficient of thermal expansion, small diameter rim (20"), so less heat sink, and short spokes, so less elasticity. In my case, also add only using rear brake on that descent, because front rim sidewalls were more worn and I was trying to baby that. A particular small wheel bike company hypes their 20" wheels as "stronger"; Sort of. Stronger rim "hoop strength", so less likely to dent from impact. Short spokes are more rigid, but you don't want that, you want longer and more elastic, that is the driver for double-butted spokes, thinner diameter in the middle, away from bending loads on ends.
Thanks. I like learning stuff.
Old 04-24-24, 01:25 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 2,551 Times in 1,066 Posts
ADAM31: If you are going to stay with your current LBS, I strongly suggest that you educate your self about bike repair, expected component lifespans, sings of trouble, etc. In my estimation, you should not have had to ask us about that rim - it needed to be replaced, period. (Yes, it was safe enough to get you home, but not for going out on another ride. I'm glad your LBS has arranged the appropriate warranty replacement.) Expanding your bike-mechanic knowledge increases you ability to be your own "reality check" when you get advice that sounds sketchy. BF is a great place to learn such things.