Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do my BOA shoes keep loosening?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do my BOA shoes keep loosening?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 11:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's worth keeping a zip tie (or two) in a saddle pack in case a BOA fails.
I like that! A cheap (and very light and easy to stash) solution that will probably bail you out of another jam long before your BOA fails. (And a zip tie trick - the tiniest screwdriver on a Leatheman is perfect for inserting into zip ties to non-destructively loosen them. Eyeglass repair screwdrivers also.)

Now, with dual BOA shoes, I'm guessing they'd ride fairly well with one BOA out, at least to finish that ride.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-02-23, 12:34 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Why are these seen as better than velcro straps?

My velcro strap shoes last years and years without me having to do anything.

The idea of replacing a fat ratchet/buckle strap with an anorexic string of plastic fiber seems insane to begin with, even if they stay in place.

My bike helmet has one of these, too (Bontrager Wave Cell), and I have to tighten at least once per ride. Helmets should be set and forget. That seems like a design and safety flaw.
Having used velcro for years and now a boa-like system (Sidi's proprietary thing), I think the reason is that boa can fine tune tightness, and help it conform to the foot's shape, kind of like laces do. Velcro works fine - I never had a problem - but I can see these advantages for boa, and it's probably why some folks like old-fashioned lace-up bike shoes. If you're worried about the cable, I don't think it's longevity issue at all. Velcro, especially the hook part, does indeed wear out. I don't know how it compares to the mechanism and cables. I suspect in the real world, it's not an issue and probably no more of a hassle than getting new hook sewn on the velcro straps of a shoe.

But I could change my mind depending on how these new shoes hold up.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-02-23 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-02-23, 06:29 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
if the BOA is dirty, it can cause your issue.

IMO, BOAs reduces adding 15 years of age to the user, & helps prevent yelling at folks going across the lawn.
Old 01-02-23, 11:31 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts

Old 01-02-23, 11:45 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I find this thread very helpful.

I’ve had several Velcro shoes, and even more ratchet ones. I’ve had one failure ever, where the buckle literally ripped off the shoe. This was a 15 year old shoe. I managed a good ride with some scrap strap I found along the road.

If one person says the BOA slips and nobody else does, I don’t worry about that. But with so many people here saying the same thing to one degree or another, it actually makes shopping a lot easier for me.

I definitely need to retighten my shoes at about 15 minutes. They don’t slip but loosen up once I’ve warmed them up.
Old 01-02-23, 12:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I have two different pairs of Specialized shoes with BOAs. Both get a quick twist about 15 mins into each ride and then they are good for the duration. Since they can be tightened while still on the bike, its no big deal. One pair is 4 YO and the other 3 and have not experienced a failure. I like the system.

Last edited by rsbob; 01-02-23 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-02-23, 12:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Why are these [Boa tensioners] seen as better than velcro straps?
  1. distributes tension across more of the foot, like a laced shoe
  2. much easier to adjust tension while riding

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-02-23, 12:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I think if I tried to tighten any shoe while riding, I would become horizontal rather quickly.
Old 01-02-23, 01:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have two different pairs of Specialized shoes with BOAs. Both get a quick twist about 15 mins into each ride and then they are good for the duration. Since they can be tightened while still on the bike, its no big deal. One pair is 4 YO and the other 3 and have not experienced a failure. I like the system.
same here. It's not every ride, but an adjustment here & there is expected at times. I've noticed that the warmer the weather, the more likely it'll need a twist or so.
Old 01-02-23, 07:29 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I do know you need to push them in before tightening. Tried after that, but they don't go in any further. The real problem is riding in the cold weather, since I can't tighten them when they're cover with booties. (Got them this past year, thought maybe they needed to be broken in.)
Old 01-03-23, 06:02 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I forgot about my son having the same issue as I had. He replaced his S-Works Boa road shoes with Sidi after 4 failures of the BOA system. His Sidi shoes are now 2 seasons old and have not yet failed, which is 2 season better than the S-Works. Honestly, did the shoe lace need to be reinvented? Really, if you want the "even tension and micro adjustability" of laces, why not just get a lace up shoe?
I use the Sidi ratchet road shoes and have no issues with "micro adjustability" or getting "even tension" across the foot. What the marketing department is selling, a whole lot of folks are believing.
Old 01-03-23, 06:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
My Bonts (both road and MTB) usually need a click or 2 during my rides.

My favorite shoes were Shimano road shoes with 3 velcro straps from about 20 years ago.
Old 01-03-23, 08:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by pakossa
I do know you need to push them in before tightening. Tried after that, but they don't go in any further. The real problem is riding in the cold weather, since I can't tighten them when they're cover with booties. (Got them this past year, thought maybe they needed to be broken in.)
if you want to continue with BOAS, I would put on the covers and trace where the BOAs protrude, remove the covers and cut circles in the covers to provide access to them. Covers are replaceable.

I use insulated toe covers, which aren’t nearly as warm (today was 45* and cloudy and the toe covers worked fine) which allow me access to the BOAs if I need to.

Old 01-03-23, 08:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I forgot about my son having the same issue as I had. He replaced his S-Works Boa road shoes with Sidi after 4 failures of the BOA system. His Sidi shoes are now 2 seasons old and have not yet failed, which is 2 season better than the S-Works. Honestly, did the shoe lace need to be reinvented? Really, if you want the "even tension and micro adjustability" of laces, why not just get a lace up shoe?
I use the Sidi ratchet road shoes and have no issues with "micro adjustability" or getting "even tension" across the foot. What the marketing department is selling, a whole lot of folks are believing.
Sidis are a no bueno for people who need wide toe boxes. I used them for years with their ratchet and Velcro system but as my feet grew, as happens to everyone, had to move to Specialized. Sidi makes a fantastic product though.

Old 01-03-23, 10:49 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Sidis are a no bueno for people who need wide toe boxes. I used them for years with their ratchet and Velcro system but as my feet grew, as happens to everyone, had to move to Specialized. Sidi makes a fantastic product though.
Sidi with ‘mega’ in the name is their wide shoe. It’s not an EE but is definitely a wider shoe.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-04-23, 09:06 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I just did an experiment with my Shimano's with BOA. I left them off my feet, tightened the BOA system, then put my hand inside the shoe and tried to press outward to see if the BOA loosened. They did not. I assume what I experience is the foot settles in after being on the bike and moving around from pedaling. Thus the foot position loosens up a bit inside the shoe and that what makes me feel like the BOA system is not staying tight. It is.
Old 01-04-23, 11:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I just did an experiment with my Shimano's with BOA. I left them off my feet, tightened the BOA system, then put my hand inside the shoe and tried to press outward to see if the BOA loosened. They did not. I assume what I experience is the foot settles in after being on the bike and moving around from pedaling. Thus the foot position loosens up a bit inside the shoe and that what makes me feel like the BOA system is not staying tight. It is.
That hypothesis doesn’t account for the possible impact of other force factors, such as sudden bump force (which may jar the locking mech) or the the on/off application of force, either of which might cause loosening of the Boa retention system, or perhaps you’re just applying more force through your foot/leg than you can through your hand/arm.

Granted, as a relatively simple ratcheting system, it seems unlikely either of those mechanisms would be at play here; I’ve never looked at any the Boa mechs, so can’t venture an educated guess at the cause, but would also want to definitively rule out the equally unlikely cable stretch as a cause…unless people are reporting the cable actually, physically breaks, a scenario which would suggest a fatigue cycle.
Old 01-04-23, 11:03 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
And of course, with most shoes you can always go back to laces. Remove the straps, BOA(s) or buckles. Go to Tandy Leather and buy their grommet kit for the smallest brass grommets. (Don't go with the one piece aluminum grommets. I like to make the last, top grommet one size larger but that requires another kit.) Mark and drill 6 or 7 pairs of holes just big enough to get the grommets through. Install with kit and hammer. Lace up and enjoy! Cost - ~12 for the kit, $5 for grommets for the next pair of shoes, ~$5 for laces.

Haven't ripped out a BOA system yet. I have three pairs of formally strapped shoes that until the BOA were my go tos. (Three different cleat systems.) I love the Lake 268 BOA shoes and may well get two more pairs. If so, I will remove the lower BOAs of the fix gear pair and run laces so there is no knob right beside the buckle that I keep spinning and unlocking as I pull tight and loosen the toestraps.