Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter road salt residue

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Winter road salt residue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-23, 12:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
LOL Do you ever paint anything using spray paint? Yes, use any product safely. Boeshield is no different.
I've got a can of something, in my basement, that my Dad gave to me. something that's good for collectable pocket knives, among other things. I thought it was Boeshield, but maybe it's something else. regardless, I remember reading the warnings on the can & they were different than the usual mumbo jumbo I'm used to seeing. anyway, I sometimes use some spray products in the house, just a squirt, you know? but for that stuff my Dad gave me - it's strictly OUTSIDE, no matter how little I use. I shud check what it is when I get home later
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-03-23, 04:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Regardless of the frame material, and what you do to protect that, the most immediate problem with riding in winter/salt is your chain. Rinse and lube it after your rides.
Or just replace it often. Or use a KMC EcoProteQ chain.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-03-23, 04:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Salt eats up brakes and drivetrain components.
My Avid BB7s and my Tektro rim brakes are still alive an well after 15 Canadian winters and many salt baths. The same goes for my single speed freewheels. track cogs and chainrings. I prefer riding good bikes, winter time isn't a good time to ride junk bikes.
Old 01-03-23, 04:51 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
A few years ago I went on a ride during a big spring thaw that was especially salty/slushy/grimy. I cleaned my bike after - spraying it down with some bike cleaner and wiping everything off, cleaning the chain, cassette, chainrings, etc. Then I hung the bike up for a few months until the next thaw.

I didn't realize that salt water had gotten into the freehub. When I cleaned the bike I had removed the wheels and also pulled the cassette off the rear hub. I had soaked the cassette in degreaser so it was really clean, but in hindsight I probably just wiped down the visible grime off the wheels, hubs and spokes and didn't really rinse them off that well. The pawls and springs and the internal space in the freehub all became a corroded mess that had to be replaced a few months later. Not a huge deal - my shop was able to replace everything but I wish I had thought to pull off the freehub shell and flush the whole thing out with solvent.

I'd vote #1, but definitely plan to do a bit more thorough cleaning than just rinsing them off. Salty water can find it's way into places you might not even think of.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-03-23, 05:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
this is the stuff. I guess the warnings are about the same, but they're not pleasant & the smell is very strong & awful
Old 01-04-23, 10:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My Avid BB7s and my Tektro rim brakes are still alive an well after 15 Canadian winters and many salt baths. The same goes for my single speed freewheels. track cogs and chainrings. I prefer riding good bikes, winter time isn't a good time to ride junk bikes.
Road salt causes the brake pistons to stick on hydraulic brakes. Massive corrosion occurs to the chain, cassette and chain ring...any many other parts you don't see.

I ride in winter all the time. Just not on roads. Fat bike on groomed trails.
Old 01-06-23, 05:15 PM
MikePFlyFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this is the stuff. I guess the warnings are about the same, but they're not pleasant & the smell is very strong & awful
Rem oil is good stuff for firearms. I've used it often for many years and it has always protected my shotguns used in and around brackish tidal marshes, old cedar swamps, etc. I've never had firing issues in those environments while using it or rust issues afterwards. Not saying that equates to any worthwhile usage for bikes but my experience using it with firearms has been very good. I'm not sure how durable it would be on a chain with all the gears, it's a bit thin but the key is to apply it, let it sit for a while, then wipe it off. There are some other firearm related lubricants/preservatives that come to mind and would be more durable. One such product is Break Free Long Term Protectant (not CLP).
Likes For MikePFlyFish:
Old 01-06-23, 06:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Road salt causes the brake pistons to stick on hydraulic brakes. Massive corrosion occurs to the chain, cassette and chain ring...any many other parts you don't see.
It's all about maintenance. Bikes which are used for winter riding on salt covered roads will require a little bit of extra maintenance, just like cars and trucks. I oil spray and rustproof my pick up truck annually every year.
Old 01-07-23, 02:43 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts

I ride in winter all the time. Just not on roads. Fat bike on groomed trails.
Really haven't seen corrosion elsewhere than the chain. Some surface rust on cassettes but nothing on chainrings. Brakes haven't broken down either. And our bikes get ridden year round. We live on the coast and roads are heavily salted all winter.

with chain oils I really struggled with chain corrosion. Paraffin wax made life a bit easier and my new wax formula seems to last a week or two of wet commutes with no need for rinsing or rewaxing.

My wife's old 520 disc lasted a decade of salty abuse and in the end it wasn't the rust that did it in. Seat tuve cracked and there was no rust anywhere near the fracture line.

I don't wash our bikes. The fatbike is the exception if it gets muddy enough the start gaining significant weight.
Old 01-07-23, 08:02 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
In addition to all the other tips above, be sure to pay attention to your wheels and spokes. I used to use an all-aluminum Specialized Tri-Cross as my winter bike, but the road salt would attack the spokes on the OEM wheels. I'd take the wheels off at the end of winter and hang them up, only to find several broken spokes months later. The salt would cause corrosion where the spokes crossed over each other, eventually failing while in storage. It happened year after year. Got rid of that bike and wheel set a few years ago and I have not had the problem again, but I do try to keep the bike clean and pay attention to the wheels.

I also use this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-07-23, 10:18 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Here are some links for some insight into equipment, vehicle, and aircraft maintenance near the coast.

I saw one mention of 2 miles or closer to the coast as being a delineator. With planes, altitude over the water comes into play as well. Knowing their increased level of maintenance and methods might help you take better care of your ride, should it be needed.

https://riveeraviation.com/aircraft-corrosion/

https://riveeraviation.com/aircraft-corrosion/
Old 01-07-23, 08:17 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 53 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I brought a bike with me when I drove to visit family. 10 hours following the trail of the supposed bomb blizzard. When I reached my destination, my bike and the front of my car were caked with salt. Enough to dim my headlights and blur the numbers on my license plate. I started to fret about the bike. The hose at my family's house was frozen. A car wash occurred to me the next day, and it did an excellent job removing the salt. I wish I'd brought chain oil with me, but the dry lube seemed to be doing its job reasonably well, so I rode with it (the Swamp Rabbit Trail between Greenville and Travelers Rest). I gave it a proper wash and lube the first warm day when I got back, and it seems fine.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 01-08-23, 01:52 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
In my experience it isnt a big deal, if you hose the bike on occasion, keep it inside so its dry most of the time and use a suitable chain lube. In the winter I use ordinary engine oil to keep away rust. Wax doesn't last a day.
Old 01-08-23, 02:50 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
In my experience, the harm wrought by road salt on bikes is nothing compared to what it does to cars. However, the combination of salt and sand will wear out wheel rims in one season. The solution is disc or drum brakes. I've gone twenty winters of daily commuting on my drum brakes and no issues. My car does not leave the garage if there is salt on the road.