Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the costume change

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Getting tired of the costume change

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-23, 06:09 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I tried wearing regular clothes to commute to work a couple of times. The ride to work is more downhill than up (one medium climb on the way to work), and the return the opposite (obviously), so it seemed as if this would be doable. However, although I was fine while riding, I was not comfortable during the work day. I took it easy on my ride, but I still sweated a bit, and specifically the "underwear area" got a little damp. Having this area damp throughout the workday was a deal breaker for me. I was just not comfortable. At a minimum, I need to change underwear even after a short (5 mi) commute in to work.

YMMV
Likes For noimagination:
Old 09-18-23, 11:59 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
I wear a woven cotton (seer sucker) shirt (inspired by Grant Petersen) and just regular (non-biking) shorts. I bring a pair of pants and underwear to change into. Changing isn't too bad. My shirt dries in about an hour or less and doesn't stink (co-workers have verified). Cotton is not as rotten as people say. It's naturally anti microbial, and woven cotton dries pretty quickly, maybe even quicker than the high tech fabrics. My commute is 7 miles with a challenging hill towards the end.
Old 09-21-23, 02:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I rode 12 miles the other day in cotton capris and and a tech tee and was just fine. Sweaty, but fine. I wouldn't want to go much farther than that because (gents, turn your delicate eyes away) underwear starts to abrade around the leg holes. YMMV, of course. Have a great ride and let us know how it turns out!
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-21-23, 07:18 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
There is no way I would ride to work in my work attire, which is usually polo shirt and slacks, maybe a button up shirt. Twelve hard miles with 900+ feet of climbing. The changing part when I get to work/leave I also don't like, it's a 10+ minute ordeal to change, but there is a locker room. I am usually drenched when I get to work but can hang my clothes to dry for the ride home. Using Reebok polyester/spandex tech briefs for the rides, no chafing, moisture wicking and cleaner shorts.
Old 09-22-23, 09:15 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I wear regular clothes to work, cargo pants, t-shirt, cotton except my socks which are athletic socks. Until a couple of weeks ago the sweat was so bad I had to change completely at work. Now until about April just the t-shirt. I keep spare clothes in a drawer at work.

A lot depends on how far, local weather, etc. In the heat of summer here, the morning temps are in the high 80s - low 90s. Rarely 100ish. I drive 20 mi to a park and ride, then ride 5 mi to work. Currently the temps are great, high 60s to low 70s in the morning.
Old 09-22-23, 11:17 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Like most who do it (I suspect), I'm no fan of the costume change.

But every time I've tried wearing my work clothes for a bike commute it just has not worked out for me. I am just an extraordinarily profuse sweat-monster.

​​​​​​The other day on a warm muggy afternoon, a fellow bike commuter pulled up alongside at a red light wearing slacks and a button down work shirt and no obvious wet marks of sweat, meanwhile, I had about a gallon of water per minute oozing out of every pore in my body.

I envy those who can somehow manage to ride a bike without sweating out an ocean's worth of water. You are lucky.
Likes For Steely Dan:
Old 09-22-23, 11:59 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 42 Posts
I typically wear my work clothes when I'm riding about a mile from the train to my office. But I kept getting chain grease and stuff on white pants, for example. When I ride the 3 miles to the train station, I wear workout type clothing but not bibs. I do tend to shower on these days but maybe not once it gets colder. With my commute only being about 4 miles each way, I don't have too much chafing going on but it really depends on the pants. Sometimes I even wear a dress while riding.
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 09-22-23, 03:07 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by jaxy357
I typically wear my work clothes when I'm riding about a mile from the train to my office. But I kept getting chain grease and stuff on white pants, for example. When I ride the 3 miles to the train station, I wear workout type clothing but not bibs. I do tend to shower on these days but maybe not once it gets colder. With my commute only being about 4 miles each way, I don't have too much chafing going on but it really depends on the pants. Sometimes I even wear a dress while riding.
Try rolling up the drive side pants leg; it's a time-honored tradition.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-23-23, 06:17 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Try rolling up the drive side pants leg; it's a time-honored tradition.
I do that often but it's more from handling the bike, trying to get it on the train, etc. Grease in random spots cuz I'm clumsy 😅
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 09-23-23, 09:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
The cotton Dockers of the 1990s that were slightly baggy around the hips worked very well for cycling. Easy to wear cycling briefs under. Loose enough fit that sweat less of an issue than with many pants. They also held up well on a bike. One of my wishes is that those pants came back. I still love my old pairs but they are decades past presentable (but still holding up well).
Old 09-23-23, 11:19 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I change clothes because I ride 11+ miles one way. Usually ride more.

Plus I live in the south and there is no way I would ride in a polo and khakis to work too humid and I sweat too much.
Old 09-24-23, 12:11 AM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
My commute is so short, I can often beat my regular drive time on the bike without getting too warm and starting the sweat problem. It’s short enough that chafing isn’t an issue, either. Peg-roll the chain-side pant cuff, or wear some tan Dad shorts.

But I often go ride for 45-60 mins in full bike kit before I shower and get ready for work, and then I don’t even want to look at my bike to commute, and just jump in the ICE machine instead, even though getting into the parking lot and walking in is slower than riding to my office door.
Old 09-24-23, 04:32 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
You might want to consider reading Zack G. writing about cycling with Wool. Great story! You can find him on the Fixed Gear section of this forum.
Old 09-24-23, 10:05 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
The thing is, a bike need not be an exercise machine, although that is the message that our culture provides, A bike can also be a labor saving device. We can use a bike to arrive at our destination with much less effort and perspiration than if we walked. I ride at about the speed of a jogger and it works fine. In 1957, when I started cycling was transportation, not exercise, and bike costumes were not even imagined. Ebikes may be a solution for you -- allowing you to ride with the same effort as walking, yet travel at the same speed as the sporty people on road bikes.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 09-24-23, 03:19 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by jaxy357
I do that often but it's more from handling the bike, trying to get it on the train, etc. Grease in random spots cuz I'm clumsy 😅
Gotcha. Then I'd ride in grubby pants and carry the nice pants. Whatever you choose, enjoy your ride!
Old 09-24-23, 06:40 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Every time this comes up, my advice is to start off freshly cleaned & scrubbed. Then some one says: "Hey, man! Nice dig." It's not a meant to be a dig. It's meant to be practical advice. When you start fresh there is less microbial beginnings for exponential growth. Start clean, arrive clean.

A good anti-perspirant will further inhibit a microbial friendly environment.

Next: Synthetic clothing, as has been mentioned. I wear Calvin Klein polyester/lycra underwear, Columbia nylon/poly blend hiking cargo pants that convert to shorts and a standard mix of Nike DryFit or Champion polyesther/spandex athletic wear t-shirts. Every company has their own brand name. GoodWill and other thrift stores are a good source for sports wear the original owner only wore once before giving up on a lifestyle change. The end goal is supreme breathability and quick drying afforded by not being susceptible to moisture absorbtion from either yourself or the weather.

Next is biking for transportation shouldn't require a great deal of sweating. It's ok to modulate your effort.

I ride 8 miles each way & life is good as is. I do have a work uniform. I change cloths at work because my job is to pick up heavy thing covered in grime & oil not because of hygeine. So, I gotta change clothes no matter what if I like the cloths I happened to wear that day. I only felt the need for dedicated cycling gear when it was a 12 mile commute with a different employer. Even then, the mandatory costume change was a work requirement, not a hygeine requirement

The key is to modulate your effort, wear all breathable clothes, and to start off the day clean and scrubbed with hot soapy water.

Last edited by base2; 09-24-23 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-24-23, 09:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I typically commuted in khaki or cargo shorts, a basic t-shirt, boxer briefs, and sneakers. If it was cooler I'd wear cargo or khaki pants and wouldn't think anything of it. Being in good enough shape that I could average 16-18mph without really sweating much was a nice bonus. Personally I never found it uncomfortable and most days would turn the 8-12mi ride into a 25-40mi ride home in the same clothes which then needed changing. I did jeans a couple times and would not recommend it, just too thick and don't breathe well enough. Maybe its just me as well, but I have gotten several different pairs of synthetic "sport" boxer briefs and they always made me feel swampy and smelly, don't know what's supposed to be wicking about them but it isn't for me. Wool boxer briefs take longer to dry than cotton in my experience but do the best job of not smelling though I've never had a problem with cotton if I'm wearing a lighter weight shorts or pants. Shirt-wise I'd usually gone cotton and even enjoy a short sleeve, loose fitting, light weight button up but as I've discovered wool I've been more impressed. Recently picked up this long sleeve shirt which is a heavier weight.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I raced in one yesterday in a windy 58* and pouring rain, even after finishing soaking wet and covered in mud I didn't feel cold and even though it claims it is only 26% wool it got soaked enough to still smell sheepish. The main problem I've had with wool is that the material is thin, I just bought a second of these today because of how its done and being similar in weight to a cotton shirt, I find thinner ones just develop holes in record time. The other problem is that until it dries, it always has that sheepish smell. The other time I wore this shirt the wool/poly blend really did a decent job of regulating temp and drying fast. I'm now hoping to find some short sleeve versions.
I still often dress this way when riding to do visits for my job, I've been told I don't always look professional enough as a result, but so far I've yet to have anyone I've visited complain, they're just happy to see me.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The cotton Dockers of the 1990s that were slightly baggy around the hips worked very well for cycling. Easy to wear cycling briefs under. Loose enough fit that sweat less of an issue than with many pants. They also held up well on a bike. One of my wishes is that those pants came back. I still love my old pairs but they are decades past presentable (but still holding up well).
These were the best, couldn't agree more.
Old 09-26-23, 12:16 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

@VRC, it's been awhile; how'd the experiment go?
Old 10-05-23, 06:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I'm now a school teacher. I ride to work in dress trousers, a dress shirt, and a tie.

Yes, really.

I do sweat. I don't care.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-05-23, 07:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm now a school teacher. I ride to work in dress trousers, a dress shirt, and a tie.

Yes, really.

I do sweat. I don't care.
Yesterday (due to unpredicted circumstances) I taught a class of 175 in bike shorts with full atrophied moose knuckle.

You are taking the correct approach.
Old 10-05-23, 07:56 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I'm in the full-kit camp. My commute is around 20 km one-way--long enough for me to get a decent sweat going if I really wanted to. Most mornings, however, because I leave quite early, the temperature is not so hot. I can get there in around 55 minutes total time without breaking a sweat. I'll change into work clothes.

Coming home, however, is a different story. I'll push it harder just because I am not worried about breaking a sweat, and I usually do.
Old 10-06-23, 09:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960
I'd like to wear jeans while out riding my bike, because I'm often heading somewhere (e.g., a meeting with a service professional like a dr. or dentist, a sports event, the grocery store, etc.) where I don't want to be wearing tights and changing isn't really convenient.

I normally wear Levi's 550 (Relaxed fit) jeans & I'm a bit fat, with fat thighs, and wear a big waist. I've found the crotch space is okay for normal activities (sitting still, walking), but has nowhere near enough room for riding. Who if anyone makes jeans (or another casual-style pant) that have generous crotch space suitable for cycling?
Levi's made Commuter 511's but I have not been able to find them for a few years. They were slim fit, taper leg, stretchy, had a reinforced crotch, and reflector piping inside that would show if you turned up the cuff. I miss them.

There are several small brands making commuter pants but I have not tried any of them.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-06-23, 09:13 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
@VRC, it's been awhile; how'd the experiment go?
According to his profile, he hasn't been here in a year, which frankly, given his responses, is a relief.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-06-23, 10:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
I rode 12 miles the other day in cotton capris and and a tech tee and was just fine. Sweaty, but fine. I wouldn't want to go much farther than that because (gents, turn your delicate eyes away) underwear starts to abrade around the leg holes. YMMV, of course. Have a great ride and let us know how it turns out!
Have you considered using a "brief" style undy? I won't wear jockey style one any further than about 5 flat easy miles. The UnderArmor jockey-briefs (I think that's what they are called) work well for me until temperatures or distance add up to the fabric being harder on my underbody skin than true cycling shorts. (25 miles in hot weather, 100 on cool days.)

What's out there for women I have no idea (and won't do the research) but I see women in public wearing shorts that look like they qualify.
Old 10-06-23, 02:27 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

For longer rides I have some exercise capris from Target; not fancy, but they're stretchy and have flat seams, no undies needed. Sadly, women don't really have a real boxer brief option; the closest we get is "boyfriend briefs" which have a 2" leg so pretty useless.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you considered using a "brief" style undy? I won't wear jockey style one any further than about 5 flat easy miles. The UnderArmor jockey-briefs (I think that's what they are called) work well for me until temperatures or distance add up to the fabric being harder on my underbody skin than true cycling shorts. (25 miles in hot weather, 100 on cool days.)

What's out there for women I have no idea (and won't do the research) but I see women in public wearing shorts that look like they qualify.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.