Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear luggage rack install help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 04:58 PM
tattoogunman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I have been messing around with this thing for the last two days and it shouldn't have taken five minutes - I don't think I'm this dumb (could be wrong though). Anyway....

I have an iZip Zuma bicycle that I have been trying to install a rear luggage rack on. There are two pre-drilled bosses on either side of the bike, but there is a catch. On the left side of the bike, they are side by side and are located below the brake caliper. On the right side, they are vertical (one on top of the other) and they are mounted towards the rear of the frame - there is probably something like a 2 to 3 inch difference from where the rear holes are to where the forward holes are. There is also an issue with the arms from the rack that are supposed to attach up near the seat post as they are not nearly wide enough to accommodate my bike's frame.

Now, I can take out the bolt that is holding what I believe to be the torque arm in place as that hole lines up almost perfectly with the holes on the right side of the bike. However, the problem then becomes that there is a spacing issue on either side of the bike from where the rack is supposed to bolt to. The kit came with two spacers, but both are of different lengths and the bolts that came with the kit are not going to work on my bike (kit has M5 bolts and my holes appear to take M4). I plan on getting some longer bolts tomorrow to see if I can get that to work, but I really didn't think this was going to be this big of an issue (unless I'm simply missing something simple stupid basic). I've attached some pics so that you can see what I am talking about. I have seen two other people on the 'net with this bike and they both had racks, so I know there is a way to get it to work - but neither is getting back to me with how they did it.

Advice or concerns with what I'm trying to do?

Left side boss holes (right below the red on the caliper)

Bracket bolt - brake cable is pointing right at it (silver bolt on the black bracket)

Right side boss holes

So you can see the space between where the rack is supposed to mount and my frame (best I could do one handed). I had someone suggest trying to bend the rack a bit and I tried that today - but I can feel/hear the metal starting to stress and did not want to break it.

Hope this makes sense and feel free to humiliate me if I'm missing something patently obvious here
Old 07-26-16, 03:17 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I think you are on the right track. Use the upper hole on the right and left side. As you said you will need a longer bolt for the rack/torque arm. You might use the spacers if you have to. I suspect you won't have to the rack will bend in place. Typically the spacers are for clearing disc brakes on the seat stays and yours are on the chainstay so you should not have a problem. Good luck.
Old 07-26-16, 03:57 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The two holes in the non drive side chainstay are for a kickstand, not a rack. The E-hub torque arm is attached to one of the rack mount holes and it's blocking access to the other hole. It's hard to tell if or how asymmetrical your rear triangle is from a photo, just bolt it up as is and then decide if you want to add spacers.
Old 07-26-16, 04:15 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Don't give up