Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should all E-bike threads be moved to Electric Bikes forum?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Where do E-Bike threads belong?
All E-Bike threads belong in Electric Bikes Forum
50.91%
E-Bike threads can reside anywhere because they are Bicycles
49.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 06:06 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts

If there is an Electric Bikes Forum, maybe threads to discuss Electric Bikes should reside over there?
Old 07-28-23, 04:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
If for example it is an eMTB and the question is MTB specific I don't see moving the thread. Similarly if the question is 50+ specific...

I don't think they should be gratuitously posted everywhere when the content isn't specific to the forum though.

Last edited by staehpj1; 07-28-23 at 04:52 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 07-28-23, 08:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Nope. I think this like many other topics a person might want to talk about should be put where they think they'll get their best audience for the question or whatever thought they are posing. If they are wrong or the conversation strays too far into something that only applies to e-bikes then the Mod's can move it. They've done a decent job so far with such things, even when they aren't about e-bikes.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-28-23, 10:36 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Poll needs a third option for "doesn't matter to me one way or the other"

I generally just look at new posts and don't pay much attention to what forum they reside in.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-28-23, 11:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Despite having two errant threads in the past week, it really hasn't been much of an issue. Ebikers, mopeders, etc tend to gravitate to the appropriate section. That's where they'll get the info and support they seek. I'm actually wondering why the BF owners haven't started a dedicated forum for them. Seems as if there is money to be made.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-28-23, 01:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Maybe we should have a sub-forum for polls!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-28-23, 06:17 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Despite having two errant threads in the past week, it really hasn't been much of an issue. Ebikers, mopeders, etc tend to gravitate to the appropriate section. That's where they'll get the info and support they seek. I'm actually wondering why the BF owners haven't started a dedicated forum for them. Seems as if there is money to be made.
Yea … pretty much that.

The problem with relegating ebike topics to another thread is how you define an ebike thread.

If it’s a question about an ebike particular topic (throttle, motor, etc.), another forum would be helpful.

But if it’s the usual stuff … a ride with pictures, questions about nutrition, routes, non-ebike specific stuff … (most stuff)? Nah.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 07-28-23, 06:56 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I'm kicking around buying an electric assist bike for commuting. If I have questions about one, I'll post in the e-bike forum. If I want commuting advice, I'll post in an appropriate forum. If I purchase one and feel like it has made cycling over 50 better for me, I'll post here.

I don't give a darn where anything is posted. If it bothers me, I'll scroll on. If it bothers a mod, let them move it. I don't know why this sort of thing bothers people.

Old 07-28-23, 07:56 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Heck, 99% of what gets posted int the "General Cycling Discussion" forum might better fit one of the other forums. Why pick on eBikes?

It's always a crap shoot. Do I post in the general forum so I get some eyes on the thread, or post in one of the other specific forums to get responses that are more on point.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 07-28-23, 08:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
No nuance, no vote. Like how many 50+ people are posting in C&V?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-30-23, 11:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
There is a lot of new-found interest in ebiking in the 50+ demographic. I thought people could just scroll by a thread they didn't want to engage in, but those threads are full of nonsensical "it's a moped" posts. Riding a pedal assist ebike is a lot of fun and nothing like riding a moped. I don't know why these threads bother people, go ride your bike.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-30-23, 12:26 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
There is a lot of new-found interest in ebiking in the 50+ demographic. I thought people could just scroll by a thread they didn't want to engage in, but those threads are full of nonsensical "it's a moped" posts. Riding a pedal assist ebike is a lot of fun and nothing like riding a moped. I don't know why these threads bother people, go ride your bike.
That’s what I thought too. I think it’s a combination of pig ignorance and some kind of perceived threat to their fragile egos.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-30-23, 12:33 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Classtime
If there is an Electric Bikes Forum, maybe threads to discuss Electric Bikes should reside over there?
So just because you don’t personally like e-bikes, nobody should be allowed to discuss them outside of the specific sub-forum? How about you just grow up instead?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-30-23, 01:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

those threads are full of nonsensical "it's a moped" posts. Riding a pedal assist ebike is a lot of fun and nothing like riding a moped.
I disagree with nonsensical but do agree it's all fun.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-30-23 at 02:06 PM. Reason: more
Old 07-30-23, 03:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Yea … pretty much that.

The problem with relegating ebike topics to another thread is how you define an ebike thread.

If it’s a question about an ebike particular topic (throttle, motor, etc.), another forum would be helpful.

But if it’s the usual stuff … a ride with pictures, questions about nutrition, routes, non-ebike specific stuff … (most stuff)? Nah.
Yeah. Even something specific to e-bikes might go best in another forum. For example, the Touring forum is probably the best place for someone who is planning to tour and wants to know about battery charging options. Responses from people who have toured and have knowledge about potential charging sources could be much more useful than responses from people who do day rides from home, even if people responding in the Touring forum have never ridden e-bikes. That’s because we often seek out power sources for things like devices.
Old 07-30-23, 04:16 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
There is a lot of new-found interest in ebiking in the 50+ demographic. I thought people could just scroll by a thread they didn't want to engage in, but those threads are full of nonsensical "it's a moped" posts. Riding a pedal assist ebike is . . . nothing like riding a moped. I don't know why these threads bother people, go ride your bike.
On the other hand, throughout my ride yesterday I saw about seven e-bikes - four of which were being used to coast up hills.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-30-23, 06:22 PM
Classtime 

From the Bow Hunting Forum:
OP: “I’ve been having difficulty the last few years on opening day. I can draw my long bow but the anchor is hard to hold. Maybe after all these years, (I’m 65), I should do some pre-season strengthening or maybe get a compound. What do you think?

Reply: “Do what I did. Forget bow season and wait for the general. And get a Savage Axis. I got one 3 years ago and luv it. No more lost arrows and a lot less hiking. The red dot helps a lot too. I put a Leupold red dot on my wife’s Savage and now we get our two bucks in 2 or three days.”

Last edited by Classtime; 07-31-23 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-30-23, 07:07 PM
PeteHski

Probably plenty of 50+ guys with heart issues who could relate to this story.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/e-bik...-health-issues

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-30-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-30-23, 07:30 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I disagree with nonsensical but do agree it's all fun.
The “moped” comments are nonsensical when discussing e-bikes that you have to pedal and don’t have a throttle. “Moped” is usually thrown in as a derisory, mocking term to show contempt toward motor-assisted pedal bikes.
Old 07-30-23, 07:34 PM
Classtime 

Not this 50+ and that is after 3 OHS. By the time we are 50+, most of us are more cautious of these marketing ploys. I’m pretty sure that “ambassador for Ribble” is equivalent to paid spokesperson.
Old 07-30-23, 07:52 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Classtime
Not this 50+ and that is after 3 OHS. By the time we are 50+, most of us are more cautious of these marketing ploys. I’m pretty sure that “ambassador for Ribble” is equivalent to paid spokesperson.
Maybe Sean Yates just made up the whole story just to make a bit of cash on the side (I very much doubt it actually) but it still makes sense for cyclists with limiting health conditions to ride e-bikes. Especially if their local roads are very hilly. Why are you so negative about them? Why does it bother you so much?
Old 07-30-23, 09:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The “moped” comments are nonsensical when discussing e-bikes that you have to pedal and don’t have a throttle. “Moped” is usually thrown in as a derisory, mocking term to show contempt toward motor-assisted pedal bikes.
I don't know where you got the notion anyone here has contempt for ebikes, or mopeds for that matter. Personally, I like almost anything on wheels, motor or not. Human powered bikes aren't necessarily superior to motorized bikes, whether ebike or gas powered. Different doesn't have to mean better or worse. I'm going to exit now, seems we are just going in circles.
Old 07-30-23, 10:03 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Probably plenty of 50+ guys with heart issues who could relate to this story.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/e-bik...-health-issues
i could never have gotten into cycling without the transition ability of an ebike. i live in a very hilly place and had two emergent open heart surgeries at 36. doctors said no strenuous exercise, ever. i take a ton of meds and am definitely not going to go into zone 5 just to get home from work on time, or get one of my kids up the hill from school, let alone just for fun. thanks to the ability of a good e-bike to modulate exactly how much work you're doing (always some) i was able to safely reach a new normal that allows long and pretty hard non-e-bike rides for pleasure. i would absolutely say that threads about e-bikes which are not focused on the specific battery/motor/control issues should be in the appropriate non-e-section. e.g. a question about trueing a wheel should go in bicycle mechanics, a question about tires for fire roads should go in cyclo/gravel or general, a question about rear suspension pressures should go in MTB. of course there's some overlap and nuance, but the idea that every discussion about any use of a bicycle should go in e-bikes because the bike has a motor is really silly, IMO. that half the people polled here think seems to represent the prejudice that leads a lot of people to think that cyclists are a-holes.
Old 07-30-23, 10:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Near as I can tell, this is the 50+ forum and not exclusive to any kind of bike or rider. What would be the reasoning to exclude e-bikes?
Old 07-31-23, 07:03 AM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Near as I can tell, this is the 50+ forum and not exclusive to any kind of bike or rider. What would be the reasoning to exclude e-bikes?
Everyone admits that e-bikes allow you to ride beyond your abilities. If you want to ride faster or with less effort by putting a motor on your bike, no one can stop you. Most e-bikes are de jure classified as bicycles as a result of the lobbying efforts of the bicycle industry. But the fact is that e-bikes have motors that in part or in whole propel the rider. Threads about using tire levers, chain lube, brake levers, etc. can reside wherever. But e-bike threads IMO, belong in the electric bike forum. Most people don’t care and the voter turnout reflects that. A few of us are disgusted by the idea that riding a motorized bike is equivalent to riding a bicycle. I recently overheard a conversation in my neighborhood where one set of parents exclaimed to another’s child who had just received a new e-bike, “That’s a nice bicycle.” Some BF think it’s fine that we contribute to this new normal. I think it’s disgusting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.