Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Carrying Camera Gear

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Carrying Camera Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 10:27 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Carrying Camera Gear

I'd like to take more pictures while out on my daily trail rides, but hate to beat up expensive camera gear. I have been pretty satisfied with taking some scenic shots with my phone which I carry in a pocket in my bibs (in the small of my back), but having more options especially lens wise would be nice. In days long gone by I carried 35mm SLRs in a fanny pack and didn't shake them to pieces too bad. I am guessing carrying on the bike would be pretty brutal for trail riding on singletrack every day. My gear is pro level Olympus micro 4/3 stuff so it is a fairly big investment that I don't want to beat up. On the other hand it is a tool to be used.

What are others doing wrt carrying camera stuff on rough trails?
Old 09-22-23, 05:40 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
I carry a Sony NEX 6 in a padded LowePro case in my backpack. Most of the shock is absorbed by my body and the backpack. For many years I carried a Voigtlander Bessa R rangefinder film camera and a couple extra lenses in a small Pelican case in my backpack.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 09-23-23, 12:25 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I'd like to take more pictures while out on my daily trail rides, but hate to beat up expensive camera gear. I have been pretty satisfied with taking some scenic shots with my phone which I carry in a pocket in my bibs (in the small of my back), but having more options especially lens wise would be nice. In days long gone by I carried 35mm SLRs in a fanny pack and didn't shake them to pieces too bad. I am guessing carrying on the bike would be pretty brutal for trail riding on singletrack every day. My gear is pro level Olympus micro 4/3 stuff so it is a fairly big investment that I don't want to beat up. On the other hand it is a tool to be used.

What are others doing wrt carrying camera stuff on rough trails?
You are clearly an erudite individual of impeccable taste. :-)

My experience is a rucksack, sling bag, or fanny pack is adequate for camera gear. Some folks will use a bike bag (bar or rack) but I'm leery of transmitting vibration and impact to the kit. My present go-to combo is an OM-1+12-100, not a small setup but famously versatile. The 12-45 makes a much smaller package when I wish to go lighter. Fanny pack gives fastest access because it can spin around to the front, quickly, but one needs a fairly large one to accommodate a sizeable camera-lens kit. Sling bag with side access, e.g., Lowepro Slingshot, can also work well. With a rucksack, I'll wrap the camera in a towel or jacket for extra padding.

Have never fallen while carrying something hard, which I suppose is some kind of possibility for trail warriors. I'm not one.

OM-1

Last edited by Rick_D; 09-23-23 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 09-23-23, 02:54 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I think I may wind up with more than one answer, but either will probably involve carrying gear on my body rather than on the bike.

If I were to go out with the specific purpose of the trip being photography I mught carry a number of lenses and a couple bodies along with other stuff. For that my Lowepro sling bag might work out. It carries a lot of micro 4/3 gear and access to gear is quick. I'll have to try riding with it to be sure it is okay for riding. I don't see this as the primary useage. I am probably more likely to hike or canoe when I take all that gear.

For my everyday riding I would not consider that big of a bag or that much gear. A single body with a versatile zoom would be the order of the day. A fanny pack would probably be the way to go I guess. It can be pulled around to the front for access and some padding could be improvised. I used one quite a bit back in the day and found that I generally fell on my side when I crashed so I never crashed hard on it. That was decades ago. My riding is a little more conservative these days so maybe that helps.