Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Cranksets/Cog

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 01:18 AM
Nothx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cranksets/Cog

Looking to buy new chainring, crank arms and cog. Wondering which brand is reliable. I looked to increase my chain ring tooth count to at least 51teethand keeping my cog at 16 or 17teeth.
I currently have a fixed hub

Last edited by Nothx; 03-08-24 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 06:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Get a chainring for the current crank you have if you really need that. Beyond that I would just sell the bike and get the right bike for you. Clearly from your other thread you bought the absolute wrong bike if you are already replacing most of the bike. This is replacing your entire drivetrain which is not something I would do very often especially not on a fixed gear. If I was racing then I might have multiple rings and cogs but I would also have a track bike and a track nearby to race at. Generally for my day to day riding I stick with what I have at least on the fixed gear or single speed, I have geared bikes for my other gearing needs.

If you are still craving replacement then just do the chainring (which is easy figure out the BCD and then look for chainrings in that BCD and size for either 1/8 or 3/32 depending on what you actually need) and obviously chain and that is it don't do anything else don't spend a bunch of money on the bike and save up for the bike that works better for you either a complete build or maybe a nice frameset you can have your local shop build up.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-12-24, 10:17 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Get a chainring for the current crank you have if you really need that. Beyond that I would just sell the bike and get the right bike for you. Clearly from your other thread you bought the absolute wrong bike if you are already replacing most of the bike. This is replacing your entire drivetrain which is not something I would do very often especially not on a fixed gear. If I was racing then I might have multiple rings and cogs but I would also have a track bike and a track nearby to race at. Generally for my day to day riding I stick with what I have at least on the fixed gear or single speed, I have geared bikes for my other gearing needs.

If you are still craving replacement then just do the chainring (which is easy figure out the BCD and then look for chainrings in that BCD and size for either 1/8 or 3/32 depending on what you actually need) and obviously chain and that is it don't do anything else don't spend a bunch of money on the bike and save up for the bike that works better for you either a complete build or maybe a nice frameset you can have your local shop build up.
This man speaks the truth
Likes For Jaytron:
Old 03-12-24, 10:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
The Retrogression website specializes in fixed-gear and track bikes and components. That's where I'd start looking for cranks, chainrings, etc.