Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help Buying

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need Help Buying

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 12:35 PM
bluedevil627

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Help Buying

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum but have been lurking for quite sometime. I enjoy coming on here and reading up on tips and the latest news that you all bring to the board. I myself have just taken up cycling in the past month, riding my girlfriend's dad's Cannondale. I found that I really enjoyed being out on the road and did my first ride (30 miles total) and then just the other day did another 20 mile ride. I know it's going to take some time but I think I'm going to love it.

I come to you guys and gals today because I'm currently looking at buying my own bike. I've linked below a couple bikes that have caught my eye. Please let me know what you think of them and what I should be looking at when buying a new bike. I'm currently 6 foot tall and weight 225 lbs. Any help is appreciated!

1985 Trek 400 Elance
1985 Trek 400 Elance -- Reynolds 531 -- 16 Speed Road Bicycle

Greg LeMond Tourmalet
Greg LeMond Tourmalet road bike

Cannondale
Cannondale Road Bike

-bluedevil
Old 06-09-14, 01:24 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Do you know what size bike you need? The Cannondale is way smaller then the other two. The Cannondale says 21cm frame which I assume they mean 21 inches which would be about 53cm. The other bikes are 58cm. The same person would not comfortably ride both.

I'm 5'11 and ride 54-55. If you are 6' tall I would guess the Cannondale would be too small. The 58s may fit but depends on your proportions. I think the Lemond is way over priced. The Trek is a decent deal depending on your local market. Where I live (los angeles) I would expect to pay $250ish for the Trek. Where you live I suspect that you could do even better , more like $200 for the Trek
Old 06-09-14, 01:58 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the Trek fits and has no frame structural issues or rust, I'd buy it!
Old 06-09-14, 02:23 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
If the Trek fits and has no frame structural issues or rust, I'd buy it!
I would also get it for the right price. I would imagine OP can talk the price down a bit unless Omaha is a hot bike market and I just don't know it. I would go check it out and see if it fits and if so offer $200 and hopefully they will at least meet somewhere in the middle.
Old 06-10-14, 12:06 AM
bluedevil627

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Do you know what size bike you need? The Cannondale is way smaller then the other two. The Cannondale says 21cm frame which I assume they mean 21 inches which would be about 53cm. The other bikes are 58cm. The same person would not comfortably ride both.

I'm 5'11 and ride 54-55. If you are 6' tall I would guess the Cannondale would be too small. The 58s may fit but depends on your proportions. I think the Lemond is way over priced. The Trek is a decent deal depending on your local market. Where I live (los angeles) I would expect to pay $250ish for the Trek. Where you live I suspect that you could do even better , more like $200 for the Trek

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering why they put 21cm frame when most dimensions I've noticed (for my size) have been between 58 and 60cm. I too really like the Trek and it immediately caught my eye along with all of the Shimano specs. Any tips you can suggest for when I test ride it? What things should I be looking for and what questions should I be asking the seller before deciding to buy or not. Again, kind of a newbie here so some of my questions and posts on here may be dumb.

Thanks Again
Old 06-10-14, 01:46 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluedevil627
Thanks for your reply. I was wondering why they put 21cm frame when most dimensions I've noticed (for my size) have been between 58 and 60cm. I too really like the Trek and it immediately caught my eye along with all of the Shimano specs. Any tips you can suggest for when I test ride it? What things should I be looking for and what questions should I be asking the seller before deciding to buy or not. Again, kind of a newbie here so some of my questions and posts on here may be dumb.

Thanks Again
I don't know what you mean about the "21cm"...

Tips when test riding:

1) First, mount the bike and check for the correct fit. If anything hanging touches the top tube, pass and move on!

2) Check the bicycle for any rust anywhere, but especially around the bottom bracket area and the weld joints. If you observe any rust, pass on it!

3) Check for breakage at the weld joints. Slightly attempt to pull tubes and stays apart, as you check for separation at the joints.

4) Check the tightness of the handlebar. Make certain that it needs no tightening...

5) Notice how smoothly it shifts when cycling. Shifting should be smooth and quiet...Well, at least smooth, anyways!

6) There should be no rhythmic sounds coming from the bike when cycling.

7) The ride should "feel" smooth.

8) Try to climb a hill somewhere and notice how easy or difficult the climb.

9) Next, stop and flip the bike over on its backside with the saddle touching the ground along with the handlebars. Stand behind the rear wheel and rotate the rear wheel by turning a pedal. Watch straight on from the rear, as you align your body and eyesight with both the front and rear wheel. Now look for wheel wobbling from side to side. Now place your hand on the front wheel and push straight down, real hard! Watch the front wheel as it rotates. Check again for wobbling!

10) Next, while the bike is still on its backside, place one hand on a shifter and the other on the pedal and rotate the pedal faster as you go thru all the speeds on the shifter. Shifting should be smooth. Watch the rear derailleur movement as you're doing this action. The RD should be smooth and consistent without any hesitation or chain misalignment.

11) Pray that you haven't missed anything!
Old 06-10-14, 02:26 AM
bluedevil627

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1985 Trek 400

Originally Posted by WestPablo
I don't know what you mean about the "21cm"...

Tips when test riding:

1) First, mount the bike and check for the correct fit. If anything hanging touches the top tube, pass and move on!

2) Check the bicycle for any rust anywhere, but especially around the bottom bracket area and the weld joints. If you observe any rust, pass on it!

3) Check for breakage at the weld joints. Slightly attempt to pull tubes and stays apart, as you check for separation at the joints.

4) Check the tightness of the handlebar. Make certain that it needs no tightening...

5) Notice how smoothly it shifts when cycling. Shifting should be smooth and quiet...Well, at least smooth, anyways!

6) There should be no rhythmic sounds coming from the bike when cycling.

7) The ride should "feel" smooth.

8) Try to climb a hill somewhere and notice how easy or difficult the climb.

9) Next, stop and flip the bike over on its backside with the saddle touching the ground along with the handlebars. Stand behind the rear wheel and rotate the rear wheel by turning a pedal. Watch straight on from the rear, as you align your body and eyesight with both the front and rear wheel. Now look for wheel wobbling from side to side. Now place your hand on the front wheel and push straight down, real hard! Watch the front wheel as it rotates. Check again for wobbling!

10) Next, while the bike is still on its backside, place one hand on a shifter and the other on the pedal and rotate the pedal faster as you go thru all the speeds on the shifter. Shifting should be smooth. Watch the rear derailleur movement as you're doing this action. The RD should be smooth and consistent without any hesitation or chain misalignment.

11) Pray that you haven't missed anything!
Awesome! Will definitely use this list. Also I've changed the title of the thread. Now just wanting to get input on tips of what to look out for when buying, and also thoughts on the current makeup of the bike. Here is the posted ad for those that can't access link:

1985 Trek 400 Elance -- Reynolds 531 -- 16 Speed Road Bicycle - $285 (Lincoln)

This is a USA Made 1985 model Trek 400 Elance Reynolds 531 steel 16 speed road bicycle.

Details:

> 58cm Trek 400 Elance with Reynolds 531 tubing. Bike has mounts for racks, fenders, 2 stations for a water bottle cage, a chain hook, and a peg on the head tube for a hand pump. This frame has horizontal rear dropouts.
> Sakae Randnner drop bars. New bar wrap.
> Shimano 600 non-aero brake levers. Diacompe side-pull caliper brakes.
> 700c Aluminum wheels drilled for schraeder valves. Both have a quick-release.
> 16 Shimano drivetrain with downtube shifters. New chain.
> Suede Velo saddle
> Panaracer Pasela 700x32mm road tires. New tubes.
> Jagwire cables throughout (new)

Fits riders around 6′. Asking $285, may be open to reasonable offers.

1985 Trek 400 Elance -- Reynolds 531 -- 16 Speed Road Bicycle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg