Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Vintage Reflector Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 04:52 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 132 Posts

I searched but can’t find an official vintage reflector thread. Can anyone confirm this absence?

I love the “hardware” on these old reflectors! I’ve noticed some of them command a high value. Personally, I have a box with a mix of mounts and reflectors. I usually take them off when I do a tear down and forget to put them back on. My favorite is a seatstay takeoff from an 87 lotus Cherokee

Old 12-23-20, 05:18 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
I used to have an old ('30s?) Miller rear light with integral solid, thick glass reflector lying around my shop. Didn't see it for a while, must have lost it.
Old 12-23-20, 06:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,796 Times in 2,587 Posts
I used to have some of the mounts from the early post-CPSC era in my collection. They were far more substantial than what comes on bikes nowadays, which is a joke. And the reflectors are much smaller now too.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-24-20, 12:47 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 629 Posts
Like just about everyone else I used to throw them away, now I save them. Especially the old red and yellow wheel reflectors which unfortunately are usually rusted to the spokes. If I acquire an obcsure but interesting entry level bike that's missing reflectors I will replace them. For some equally obscure reason I like to keep those bikes as original as possible. Higher end bikes usually had the reflectors removed the minute the receipt was printed so their period correct "natural" state is sans reflectors but in most cases if they survived I leave them, if they're gone they stay gone however.
Old 12-24-20, 01:32 PM
LBCwanabe 

Old 12-24-20, 02:20 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 2,003 Posts
the original spec was to not permanently deflect under a 50lb load.
Old 12-24-20, 03:39 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 303 Posts
Interesting topic as I've been thinking about this lately. On my road bikes I strip these off right away for esthetics but keep them because I hate throwing things away I might need in the future. Recently, I've been started riding at night more and always think of the sage advice, "be seen, be safe". I've left the reflectors on the bike I ride at night to do just that, be seen. I figure the more chance a driver has of seeing me the better, so why not use these reflectors.

Of course, I'm also sporting 2 front head lights and a rear light to make sure I can't be missed because you can never be too cautious out there with drivers.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 12-24-20, 03:43 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,260 Posts
The seatstay Lucas reflectors were really well designed and made. And a Bluemel on the mudguard to boot.

Likes For clubman:
Old 12-24-20, 03:47 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3849 Post(s)
Liked 6,923 Times in 2,674 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCwanabe

I used one of those recently to substitute for a missing mudguard eyelet on a front fork. Perfect fit!

Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-24-20, 03:49 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 143 Posts
I think my home city still requires, by law, for your bike have a front and rear reflector, reflectors on your wheels, and reflectors on your pedals. I'm okay, or at least indifferent, to having reflectors on a bicycle. But when I do work on something, say rebuilding a headset, I use that opportunity to remove the reflector and mount. Recently, I did have some fairly nerd cool "swooshy", rather long, wheel reflectors, that I tried to move from one wheelset to another, but the "twist to lock" piece that secure them to the spokes, they basically disintegrated to plastic rubble, when I tried to get them to tighten to the spoke. Shame.
Old 12-24-20, 06:37 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
Old 12-24-20, 07:24 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
The seatstay Lucas reflectors were really well designed and made. And a Bluemel on the mudguard to boot.

I collect and have a gaggle of seat stay red reflectors. I have a huge bin full of reflectors across multiple decades, many of which I'll probably never use. I've thought long and hard about what to do with them over the years. The only ones I ever actually use are these eat stay models.

Likes For francophile:
Old 12-25-20, 09:20 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2,354 Times in 1,136 Posts
The Cat Eyes off a Takara I picked up this summer. Nothing spectacular except that they all survived 40 years without being damaged or removed.

Rear fender reflector off a '67 Schwinn Breeze Deluxe I'm wrenching on.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-25-20, 09:39 PM
LBCwanabe 

Can you post a group pics?

Originally Posted by francophile
I collect and have a gaggle of seat stay red reflectors. I have a huge bin full of reflectors across multiple decades, many of which I'll probably never use. I've thought long and hard about what to do with them over the years. The only ones I ever actually use are these eat stay models.
Old 12-26-20, 09:15 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by LBCwanabe
Can you post a group pics?
Should be able to run to our shared shop space early next week, I'll grab the 6x12x16 bin and take some pics then. I'll tag you on the reply..

Likes For francophile:
Old 12-26-20, 09:57 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 544 Times in 269 Posts
As a life long commuter, have always believed in the value of reflectors supplementing a front and rear light. For many years, most bike shops had a stash of take off reflectors available free. I thought this was a great service and once was encouraged to "take as many as you want". They're piling up. So I did, and installed where needed. Most were the type on my mixte, but the ones I prized were "Biggies". The orange and red type. Like these on my touring bike. Don

1971 Grand Jubile

1984 Specialized Expedition Touring
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 12-26-20, 10:09 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 544 Times in 269 Posts
Also believe in wearing a reflector vest. This one is around 25 years old and beginning to show some deterioration. Would like an exact replacement, but haven't found such. Any help? Also, lately noticed my reflector stash is depleted. Several new arrivals need reflectors. Time to visit my local co-op. Don

July 4, 2016

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 12-26-20 at 10:11 AM. Reason: remove stuttering: my my
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 12-26-20, 12:19 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 352 Posts
Here's the reflector from my 1949 Humber - as it came on the bike. You can get the original rubbers but they are hugely expensive when they come up; I bought a replica from Asia and used the original lens and it looks fantastic. However for this thread only showing the "as found".
Likes For markk900:
Old 12-26-20, 05:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts

OEM on the 68 Raleigh

Some other old ones hanging around.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-26-20, 06:02 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3849 Post(s)
Liked 6,923 Times in 2,674 Posts
While not a reflector, I still have my original Belt Beacon, purchased new at some point in the early 80s. Takes a 9-volt battery! Many years back, I removed the clip that went on your belt and installed it with a machine screw on a bracket that hung from my rear Blackburn rack. That was a lousy hack as it rattled a lot. I should put that back in service on one of my commuters.
Old 12-31-20, 05:18 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Here you go, LBCwanabe

Keeping it general here, here's the bin, dumped, with a general shot and some pics of some of the cooler ones. Mostly CatEye, but there's a mashed up Bright Star in here (375, I think), pics follow include the orange Stanley, a red Stadion, and the scratched up red one I believe is an old glass reflector. Tons of NIB CatEye ~30mm and ~50mm round red rear-mount, but stay and bridge mount style. Couple of rear fender-mount rectangles in there, a couple red round fender-mount, misc spoke mount, and a boatload of brackets

I've been kinda hording the round vintage CatEyes. I remember giving one to BF'er 3speedslow for his Sekine many years ago, I sometimes put them on bikes I sell if they fit, but they're becoming a scarce commodity it seems.

Old 12-31-20, 05:55 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,615 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
While not a reflector, I still have my original Belt Beacon, purchased new at some point in the early 80s. Takes a 9-volt battery! Many years back, I removed the clip that went on your belt and installed it with a machine screw on a bracket that hung from my rear Blackburn rack. That was a lousy hack as it rattled a lot. I should put that back in service on one of my commuters.
well, I'm happy to know I'm not the only person who doesn't know when to throw things out!

I actually did a little reverse engineering on my Belt Beacon a few years ago. It's a neat little circuit (for those of use who enjoy this stuff), and I played around and made a modified version that ran off of 3V and flashed a little red LED.

an interesting feature is that they used the two sheet metal screws to hold the two halves of the housing together as well as to make the electrical connections from the circuit board to the lamp.

it doesn't compare to any modern lights, but back in the late 70's, this really was one of the best lights on the market!

this is my modern equivalent circuit. For reference, the LED is 5mm diameter.

Steve in Peoria (yeah, too many old bike lights laying around)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-01-21, 11:09 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 910 Posts
I have some of the old Gulotta reflectors stashed away

Old 01-01-21, 12:47 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
the original spec was to not permanently deflect under a 50lb load.
That's reassuring to know after I made a support for a handlebar bag out of headset reflector mount. It really was solid feeling.
Old 01-01-21, 02:01 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Reflectors mounted on the spokes are the dorkiest accessory ever fitted to a bicycle, dorkier even than dork discs, which at least serve a useful purpose quite effectively. (Some are even attractive.). Fortunately, spoke reflectors can be removed and tossed into the solid waste stream without compromise to safety because they are useless. No vehicle on a collision course with you will ever see your spoke reflectors in time to avoid hitting you—the only exception would be if you are standing motionless in the road with your bike turned broadside to on-coming cars. But that’s a dumb way to die.

Rear-facing reflectors are another matter. But their effectiveness is greatly exaggerated by the common practice of photographing them with flash mounted a few centimetres from the camera lens. In real life, the optical path causes them to be much less visible to a motorist, especially a truck driver sitting high above his headlights. At least most of them don’t look dorky and they have been around long enough for there to be some historical collectibility to them, which is the focus of this thread. (For safety, lights and a vest rule.)

But no spoke reflectors. Please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.