Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bringin' home the groceries

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bringin' home the groceries

Old 05-10-17, 12:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
If I had an excuse to own a cargo bike, I would have one. They're becoming popular in my neighborhood. Some people bring their kids to school on long bikes and bakfietsen and on bikes with a banana seat added for a small passenger.

After moving back to the city in 2013, I made some grocery trips on bike, but it was too much trouble. Manhattan is so dense that shopping by foot turns out to be the most convenient way. Most of us here tend to buy as much as we can carry and go as frequently as we need to. I've learned to enjoy carrying cargo by hand. The nicest part for me is that I'm not using a car. I sold my car after moving back in. My wife drives her car frequently and kept it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-10-17, 02:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
@kickstart what handlebars are those? Looks like they have more rise than my FSA Metropolis bars on my utility bike, which might suit me better.
They're the largest size of Soma Swallow bars. Basically a slightly wider and long grip version of traditional Northroad bars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by kickstart; 05-10-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 07:25 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
They're the largest size of Soma Swallow bars. Basically a slightly wider and long grip version of traditional Northroad bars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Well darn, those look nice but I don't care for the smaller clamp area diameter. All my bikes are running 31.8 stems currently.
Old 05-17-17, 01:16 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle
I'd like to start making grocery runs larger than what I can fit in my backpack. Not sure where to begin. I'm figuring on a pretty standard rear rack, or do I need more of a heavy-duty touring rack?

After that, though, what to use as carriers? I see grocery panniers, collapsible baskets, some other solutions. I worry a little about having bags stolen while I'm in the grocery store. Do you take them inside? Looking for some ideas.
The reason I didn't want baskets is that they aren't meant to be removed easily. So I use a Tout Terrain Mule trailer. It can hold up to 90 lbs. and is fully suspended. When it holds 4 full bags of groceries I can hardly tell it there. The nice thing is you don't have to reconfigure your bike from however it is set up to make a run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01320 (3).jpg (105.5 KB, 197 views)
Likes For BBassett:
Old 06-07-17, 01:13 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by martin_at_gbc
I use the Maya Cycle trailer. Fits the groceries and I can take the trailer and bag inside when necessary
This trailer is fantastic! Thanks for the pictures! I really want to do more grocery runs on the bike, and this would allow for Costco runs!
Old 06-09-17, 12:20 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I've often taken my panniers into the grocery, and just clipped the hangers to the side of the grocery cart, then I fill the bags as I shop. I then take this arrangement to the register and take the items out to be rung up... and pack them back in as they are accounted for.

When I am done, I am sure I have not bought too many goods to fit the bags and at the same time I know the bags are safe.

This was sometimes looked upon as odd, some 20 years+ ago, but these days with folks bringing in recycled grocery bags, this is no big deal.
Old 08-19-17, 07:54 AM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
I use Banjo Brothers Market Panniers. They're big and well built.
Those are similar to an older set of Trek grocery panniers I use, I put heavy bottles of water or milk in the Chariot trailer trunk and use the panniers for lighter groceries.
Old 08-21-17, 03:45 PM
Staypuft1652

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-22-20, 12:33 PM
lwylie

Bikes: 2007 Bike Friday NWT

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LongKayak, how is the market bag better than the storage bag, in your opinion? And is the storage bag the same as the 'tote'? I recently bought a Travoy (2020 version) and it seems the 'storage bag' from the original model is now a separate 'tote bag' sold for about $49. The storage bag that came with my Travoy doesn't have any built in clips or any way to attach to the trailer frame.

I realize this is an old thread (maybe I need to start a new one?), any replies would be appreciated!
Old 11-22-20, 12:41 PM
lwylie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Andersen Royal Shopper Plus looks great! Doesn't look like it's available in the US though, alas. Burley Travoy looks to be similar concept. There are so many cool cycling products in other countries (particularly Europe).
Old 11-22-20, 12:45 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Big, rugged basket/carrier on the front, plus panniers front and rear. A trailer to keep all your groceries in a single bag. Or a cargo bike. Or a cargo bike and trailer. Or a three wheeled big-boxed cargo bike
Old 11-22-20, 12:53 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Front carrier A, Atran Velo Extra Large

Front Carrier B, Atran Velo Retro "Retro Epic"
Old 11-22-20, 12:58 PM
lwylie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW here in Portland, OR, a trailer attached to one's bike outside the grocery store would be at risk of being stolen. That's a key reason I bought a Travoy, as it's easy to detach and take into the store to shop. We have a large homeless population, and many of them use anything with wheels to haul stuff (trailers, baby strollers, shopping carts). Same goes for anything on a bike that's easily removeable. I've had to replace two different tail lights that I'd forgotten to take into the store with me and were gone when I came out.

Another reason I got the Travoy is to be able to haul cases of mineral water or wine, as well as large bags of dog food. Seemed silly to pop into the car and drive less than a mile to pick up those things. That was my rationale/excuse anyway! And with my REI member dividend it was almost 'free' :-)
Old 11-22-20, 01:07 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Surly has an impressive trailer - their "Bill" trailer:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/cargo#trailer

Perhaps a bit big to bring into a shop, though.
Old 11-23-20, 03:03 PM
LongKayak

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, Blix Aveny

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lwylie
LongKayak, how is the market bag better than the storage bag, in your opinion? And is the storage bag the same as the 'tote'? I recently bought a Travoy (2020 version) and it seems the 'storage bag' from the original model is now a separate 'tote bag' sold for about $49. The storage bag that came with my Travoy doesn't have any built in clips or any way to attach to the trailer frame.

I realize this is an old thread (maybe I need to start a new one?), any replies would be appreciated!
Wow! This really is an old thread!
The market bag is better formed and slightly smaller. On the older travoy, when using the tote bag it would rub against the wheels; the market bag did not. I suspect the newer versions with the wheel guards, this problem no longer exists.
Old 11-24-20, 02:53 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Surly has an impressive trailer - their "Bill" trailer:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/cargo#trailer

Perhaps a bit big to bring into a shop, though.
With an equally impressive price tag. LOL

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-30-20, 03:46 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by lwylie
FWIW here in Portland, OR, a trailer attached to one's bike outside the grocery store would be at risk of being stolen.
Well, of course it would! That's why I lock my Bob Yak AND the bike that pulls it to the locking stanchion with the same U-Lock. If I can't arrange the attached trailer so that I can use the same lock on the same pole, I detach the trailer and bring it next to the bike so that that can be accomplished. 10 years doing it this way, 5 of them in Hillsboro, the more recent five, right Downtown near the Lloyd District. A Travoy isn't a bad product but it is awfully un-aerodynamic. Today with 20mph headwind would have been no fun, I think. But good on you for finding a solution that still involves using the bike.
Old 12-01-20, 01:37 AM
lwylie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leisesturm, maybe we'll cross paths in Portland, as I live in NE myself :-) I'll keep a lookout for a bike with a BoB Yak locked up outside. Bob Yaks are cool (seen them often when touring), but don't have room for one in my living room next to my bike. One of these days I'll get around to making a bike shed. The Travoy takes up a lot less room. And aerodynamics aren't my primary concern when biking around town doing errands.

Another appeal of the Travoy is it can function as part of my Bike Friday "travel system".... small enough to take when I travel by plane (in theory anyway, haven't tried it yet). About once a year I fly out of state to attend to my rental property. It's in a city where going places by car is really a hassle. As is shlepping stuff by public transportation. Yet while there I often need to get and transport bulky home improvement supplies. On my last trip I found myself thinking "gee, if only I had my bike and a trailer!". So that was another motivation (excuse) to get the Travoy. Now I'm eager to take it and my Bike Friday on my next out of town trip.
Old 12-03-20, 07:53 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The rack that came with my bicycle is fairly low quality. An aluminum thing that uses twisted-plate supports. Good enough for shopping, though. I keep my Wald pannier baskets, as well as a third basket, permanently attached to it and just remove the whole thing when I want to use the bicycle for something else. It's only four bolts to undo. I also have a couple of wire baskets on the front/rear racks of another bicycle, which has a lower capacity over-all, but are necessary for various tasks that the Wald pannier baskets aren't suitable for, such as plates of takeout food.

As for how I shop with them, I just simply put my groceries directly into the baskets. I keep regular re-useable shopping bags folded up until after checkout. Also have one insulated bag for stuff that needs to be kept cold. After checkout, I find a place in the store where I can organize/balance my load. After it's all packed, I wheel out the door, get on and ride home. BTW, a bicycle is much easier to steer while shopping than a shopping cart is.