Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-16, 05:49 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
1:30 at endurance pace today, and it was painful - apparently I pushed myself really hard yesterday. My legs were really tight and sore. My Garmin 520 has a recovery estimation tool, and yesterday it said 3 days; I just rolled my eyes. 3 days recovery from a 1:39 ride? Yeah, right. It also has a tool that estimates how well you've recovered that comes on at the 12 minute point in your next ride. It's always come up as "good" except on two occasions; one was the ride back to the motel room an hour after having done the Austin Livestrong ride (TSS 369) last October, the other was today. I have no idea how accurate those tools are, but they did point in the right direction this time.

15-20 mph wind today, too. Icing on the cake.

Recovery ride tomorrow, rest day Tuesday. I'm ready for them.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-25-16, 06:21 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
No point to this. Just musing about pedaling.
Oddly enough cycling is a pedaling sport, musing about pedaling dynamics is thought time well spent to be applied on the road.

-Bandera
Old 12-26-16, 12:06 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
About to head for an hour or so JRA. The saddle on the Look needs adjusting, it needs to be lowered slightly and moved back slightly. I tried to do it, and the seat post is completely frozen. It will not budge. It looks like a trip to the LBS later in the week. And, I guess I'll be aboard the Venge today. Coach likes having power, anyway....

Happy Cold Holidays!
Old 12-26-16, 08:25 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Crazy strong first-ride-back-in-Caklifornia this morning, with two of my favorite people. And coffee after. Perfect.

It was cold though & wicked windy. Just felt good, made everything hard which was what I was in the mood for.m just hunkered down & pedaled hard. We were planning on riding through a local canyon but the winds back there can get really squirrelly and there's dump trucks up & down that road right now, clearing dirt from mud flows from last weeks rain.

So after 10 miles of gradual uphill into a strong headwind, we just turned around. Tailwind, 1% downhill grade, long uninterrupted stretches of bike path & my friend George happy to pull. That's QOM territory y'all. Got two. Love it, such a fun ride.

Then so tired of eating junk over the holidays. Shopped & cooked some good stuff: buttermilk herb dip, crudités, roasted mushrooms, muesli, candied grapefruit peel (my grapefruit tree is finally producing this year! And OMG the lemon tree too, I have a zillion. Can we say lemon curd y'all? And lemon marmalade???), cheesy bread, blackberry jam. Whew. Tired.

Back to work tomorrow.
Old 12-26-16, 08:33 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Oh yeah. For dinner, I have enchiladas suiza in the oven. Homemade pickled Mexican cabbage to go with it.

And baked pineapple which we'll have over vanilla ice cream.

Yeah and then I'll have to burn some calories tomorrow am. No prob. More wind,
Old 12-26-16, 08:41 PM
revchuck 
OMC

An hour at recovery pace today. My legs felt decent, and improved steadily through the ride. Off the bike tomorrow, easy day at the gym, then back to it on Wednesday.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-26-16, 11:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Intervals on Fiesta today. Sunny and not much wind with temps in the mid 60s. Fiesta was okay but there was a little mud and sand left over from the rain.
Old 12-27-16, 08:42 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the WBR Impact ride yesterday on Zwift. This is advertised as an hour of 2.5-3.5 w/kg but even with a leader it goes substantially higher. I worked to stay in the lead group and avoided the sprints. I fell off on the last lap when the pace was a solid 3.5-4.5. I can do that on the road but on the trainer with zero rest it's a challenge. I know if I started structured training again I could make some gains but there's no real point in that for me at this stage.
Old 12-27-16, 08:56 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

1:30 JRA for me this am. Rode through a favorite canyon with a helpful friend who just wanted to hash out my work stress. I finally had to say, "you know, I don't really want to solve that right now. I just want to ride my bike..."

Tired legs this am, but the ride went well anyway. Cold, dark and windy though.

And first post-Christmas weigh-in. Christmas Miracle: I did not gain any weight!

Back to work in a few...
Old 12-27-16, 11:18 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I did the WBR Impact ride yesterday on Zwift. This is advertised as an hour of 2.5-3.5 w/kg but even with a leader it goes substantially higher. I worked to stay in the lead group and avoided the sprints. I fell off on the last lap when the pace was a solid 3.5-4.5. I can do that on the road but on the trainer with zero rest it's a challenge. I know if I started structured training again I could make some gains but there's no real point in that for me at this stage.
Out of curiosity, how does one go to the front and drill it on zwift? If one is shown to be at the back and dials it to 400 W, does the rider magically get teleported to the front?
Old 12-27-16, 05:45 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Gym today, mostly core stuff. If you do side planks long enough, they effin' hurt.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-27-16, 06:46 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
Out of curiosity, how does one go to the front and drill it on zwift? If one is shown to be at the back and dials it to 400 W, does the rider magically get teleported to the front?
Pretty much. Your position on the course is determined by your w/kg, the draft, and the terrain.

BTW every race starts like a CX holeshot but for 10 minutes. Flat out.
Old 12-27-16, 08:03 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

OMG, day 1 of my sugar detox did not go very well. Baklava intervals at work today. Homemade, gift from a client, how could I resist that??? I ate three damn pieces.

And then some fancy Belgian chocolate-covered cookies.

Old 12-27-16, 08:13 PM
revchuck 
OMC

OMG, day 1 of my sugar detox did not go very well. Baklava intervals at work today. Homemade, gift from a client, how could I resist that??? I ate three damn pieces.

And then some fancy Belgian chocolate-covered cookies.

I feel your pain. A fellow rider is a local business owner, and he's working hard to lose weight. He removes temptation by bringing the goodies his clients gave him for Christmas over to the shop where I work. The bastid.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-27-16, 09:51 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by revchuck
I feel your pain. A fellow rider is a local business owner, and he's working hard to lose weight. He removes temptation by bringing the goodies his clients gave him for Christmas over to the shop where I work. The bastid.
I ALSO feel your pain! My reptile brain has taken over. I now have to loose five pounds.

Why do we do this to ourselves???
Old 12-27-16, 09:56 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Hellyer again today. Eight sessions, now.

Today, more work with Barb. Coach wanted a "couple of flying 200's". We did three. We also did a thirty six lap warmup, some mock pursuit "rolling" starts (5 MPH at the 2K line), and some skills drills. I was riding 84 inch and change gearing today, I've graduated from "beginner gearing" to "slightly better than beginner" gearing. It wore me down more than the 81 inch gearing I had been riding, and as the session moved on, I had increasing trouble getting over the hump and getting my cadence going. On the last 200, I finally got it going (and OMG did it hurt), and managed almost 32 MPH and 120 RPM - which isn't fast and isn't spinning high enough. My power at 120 RPM was way down, so I was just turning the pedals and not gaining. And, that was at the line.

Getting there. It won't happen over night. If I keep gaining weight it won't happen at all...

Old 12-28-16, 03:52 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by sarals
I ALSO feel your pain! My reptile brain has taken over. I now have to loose five pounds.

Why do we do this to ourselves???
A combination of only intermittent cheating and doing fasted or stupid-hard rides has kept me almost even. Almost.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-28-16, 09:35 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
A combination of only intermittent cheating and doing fasted or stupid-hard rides has kept me almost even. Almost.
Both ya'll are better off than I am. Very little training and more work than I want has left me on the bad side of the fence. The @Heathpack recovery drinks are good to me as well; guess my local addition of an ingredient (clear) doesn't help

Did manage to do some work yesterday 3.2 miles ru**i*g at noon then some criss cross sst stuff in the evening.
Old 12-28-16, 10:22 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
The Wind Won.
Strained my right hip fighting it day before yesterday: Off the bike for a few days.
Might as well go see Rogue 1 and cook something good that does not involve a lot of standing for prep.

-Bandera
Old 12-28-16, 12:14 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Originally Posted by Bandera
The Wind Won.
Strained my right hip fighting it day before yesterday: Off the bike for a few days.
Might as well go see Rogue 1 and cook something good that does not involve a lot of standing for prep.

-Bandera
Wind-tervals....
Old 12-29-16, 04:48 AM
revchuck 
OMC

1:30 at endurance pace with 2x(3x1') one-legged drills yesterday. The middle 30' was supposed to be at the upper end of endurance pace; it ended up being two watts under SST and that's because I made myself slow down a couple of times. I love that feeling after a bit of rest.

The wind is in the process as I type of changing from south to north, will be 15-20 mph by the time I get out to ride. I'll just pretend I'm climbing.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-29-16, 07:45 AM
IBOHUNT

35 minutes of ru**i*g on a treadmill at noon then 60 minutes of pace followed by some big gear work inspired by @Heathpack after work.
Old 12-29-16, 09:37 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Happy to be your muse, @IBOHUNT.

Yesterday I had big gear workout with some of that mega hard cadence work after, the high rpm high power stuff. Hard! I did it on the trainer and learned my California trainer has way more resistance than my NY trainer.

Today strength/core workout.

Happy to report zero baklava consumption yesterday and only 4-5 of the crack-like fancy Belgian cookies.

Meditation daily, stretching almost every day.

A freakishly light yet large package arrived at the house yesterday. Return address: Bakersfield. I suspect Mr H repaired his rift with the shop that had that discontinued set of bars I wanted. We celebrate Christmas next week, I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Mom might get moved to the rehab hosp today.
Old 12-29-16, 10:34 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Yesterday was rest. Today is more "cadence stuff".
Old 12-29-16, 12:34 PM
revchuck 
OMC

We celebrate Christmas next week, I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Mom might get moved to the rehab hosp today.
If by that you mean January 6, that's a special celebration in Louisiana too - Twelfth Night is the first night of Mardi Gras season! Glad to hear the news about your Mom.

2:55 at endurance pace this morning. I had wanted it to be at a moderate pace, but I had a lot of time riding into a 15 mph headwind and pushed harder than I thought I did. I was hoping for an IF of about .65 and a 120-ish TSS, but ended up with an IF of .75 and TSS 166. Hard interval set tomorrow, hope I didn't screw myself up.

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.