Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 10:09 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,476 Times in 1,451 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I agree with you. A friend who had that problem ended up selling the bike because no amount of wheel swapping or position tweaking would stop it. Others I know have had some shimmy but not enough to get rid of the bike.
I don't think any bike I ever had did that and if one ever did it would be hard to feel confident at speed again.
There is a lot of information in crash video that needs consideration. Why was the protection of the guard rail limited and not installed further in the turn. Chloe lost control and went right past the padding and into the guard rail. Organizers must have been suspicious of this turn - off camber, odd pavement or whatever.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-29-20, 07:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Finally killed my Wahoo Bolt. I wasn't a good engineer in thinking it was OK the buttons were flapping off. Problem with that was the buttons were the last defense against water ingress. And, ingress it did. One rain ride and done. I used it blind with a black screen for a week knowing where the buttons are so I could record. Riding by feel, I was pretty darn consistent. But, it defeated purpose of having the Garmin Varia.......so......new one it is. I also dropped the old one a dozen or more times. It was time.

I could care less about the Bolt aero claims. It just like that it is small, gives me what I want, is affordable, and uses an easy to use App instead of some weird clunky setup.

Ordered another. I could have prevented this probably by buying the $10 silicone case.

IMO, if you own a bike gps and are rough on stuff or budget conscious.........buy the silicone case.
Old 09-30-20, 05:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
There is a lot of information in crash video that needs consideration. Why was the protection of the guard rail limited and not installed further in the turn. Chloe lost control and went right past the padding and into the guard rail. Organizers must have been suspicious of this turn - off camber, odd pavement or whatever.
Here is some more speculation.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/tech-w...KxKia_5ltD1ICk
Old 09-30-20, 07:59 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Uneven distribution of weight about the steering axis would definitely make a tank slapper worse. Putting more weight on the front end also makes it worse.
From something on a motorcycle site: According to racing engineer Jeromy Moore, it’s an “underdamped torsional oscillation of the front wheel/suspension which can be set off by either a road input or input from the rider’s weight creating a steering moment or even a gust of wind”.

It looks like multiple people had some oscillation coming out of that turn. If there was a road input that made the wobble more likely, then uneven weight on the bars could quite easily throw things over the edge for sure. If you watch the video, look at the grey strip in the center of the road which may be a slightly raised area to separate the lanes, or raised if this is a one way since the tires are on either side of it (likely the first option). It almost looks like it starts during the transition of the grey area to darker area. The thing is, given the corner and the fact that she was apexing, even shifting her weight between her feet a bit could have induced something like that.

Sometimes it helps to put your knees on the TT to help stabilize things, or to just throttle out if you're on a bike. Unfortunately it's hard to the do latter on a bicycle. Almost looks like she understeered trying to slow down a bit where she straightens out. In the slow mo it really looks like there was an input to the front wheel but it's honestly hard to know for sure. Also looking at the slow mo again the grey area to darker area thing doesn't quite work out.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 09-30-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 08:30 PM
big john

I'm inclined to agree with Hermes. Some combination of her position and the design/geometry of the bike started the wobble.
Old 09-30-20, 09:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I think everyone has seen the videos of the suspension bridge that destroyed itself when a certain wind speed set up an oscillation. Changes to design criteria for bridges alleviated that problem.

I would like to see Felt take a hard look at their frame and fork design and try to understand what happened with Chloe’s bike in that turn. Felt is the one with the resources to analyze the problem and then explain and or fix what happened.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-30-20, 09:32 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Yeah, definitely merits looking into.

The article stated that others had some wobble coming out of that turn as well though. I wonder if there is better video of that too.
Old 10-01-20, 12:18 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I'm somewhat idly thinking of selling my bikes.

My track bike is in the attic, and I fully expect that I've ridden it for the last time.

My road bike is in the garage, and hasn't been ridden in over a year, since I hurt my back. My wife doesn't like me riding on the road, and I can't blame her. And I think riding inside should be banned by the Geneva convention.

I think I'm only keeping them because I don't want to admit the truth, that a chapter in my life that was relatively big for relatively long, might be over.
Old 10-01-20, 12:43 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
lol. I wish I got paid every time some guy said and did that and the started back up when their kids got older. Of course your bikes will be outdated by then, and there will only be racing on zwift.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-01-20, 12:50 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
lol. I wish I got paid every time some guy said and did that and the started back up when their kids got older. Of course your bikes will be outdated by then, and there will only be racing on zwift.
A fair criticism, and one that gives me hope I suppose?

I don't know that the batteries in my Favero Assioma or my Garmin will last 20 years, even if I do continue charging them every few months like I have been.

Track bike will probably be just fine. They haven't changed much in the last 20, not sure they'll change much in the next 20.
Old 10-01-20, 02:38 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I had a road racing bike (Miyata Pro) that I raced as a junior through 1985. I didn't ride it more than 3 or 4 times from 1987 - 2004 (I only rode mtn bikes through that period), but, I hauled it across the country and moved it through 3 homes. Finally, in the winter of 2004, I was cleaning up the basement and decided it was time to let it go. By that time it needed some work to be rideable, so I donated it to a bike non-profit/charity. The following spring, some coworkers that rode bikes talked me into doing some lunch rides with them. Since I didn't have any sort of road bike, If one of them didn't happen to have a spare bike to loan to me I wouldn't have started riding on the road again. A few months later I bought a new road bike and the next spring I started racing again.

Flatballer, I don't know if the moral if this story is to sell your bikes now while they are still worth something, or hang on to them because you might ride it again in the future. If it were me, I'd probably sell the track bike since it isn't easy to just go for a spin on the track on a whim. But I'd hang on to a road bike in case circumstances changed and I got the bug to go for a ride.
Old 10-01-20, 04:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
yep, I'm def. not hitting the same numbers indoors vs road. The interaction nature of the apps helps but not a ton. My best 20 min so far on Zwift is like 4.4 w/kg or something, compared to a 5.0 outdoor 20 min I did in April or May.

Overheating makes a big diff. I'm also using a lasko big fan on the floor, but might get a smaller, powerful focused on for the desk so I can aim it at my head.
I have an air mover that I bought to dry out our basement. It shoots out a pretty focused stream of air. I put it right in front of my wheel and aim it so it blasts me in the chest. I supplement that with a rotary stand up fan that I aim at my face. I still end up with a puddle under the bike though.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-01-20, 06:20 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Flatballer

My track bike is in the attic, and I fully expect that I've ridden it for the last time.

My road bike is in the garage, and hasn't been ridden in over a year, since I hurt my back. My wife doesn't like me riding on the road, and I can't blame her. And I think riding inside should be banned by the Geneva convention.

I think I'm only keeping them because I don't want to admit the truth, that a chapter in my life that was relatively big for relatively long, might be over.
If you're going to sell them now is the time. The shortage will soon be over, new bikes are being delivered to dealers.
I just sold two bikes and a set of wheels through my lbs. Not a lot of money but got me some more space, down to three bikes now. Other people I know have sold bikes this summer.

plus:sad
Likes For big john:
Old 10-03-20, 07:20 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

There are two approaches to this. First, you hang onto them. When you finally get back on them everyone will be admiring your vintage bike with only 12 speeds and all that.

The other is that you sell them now. You know what you like, what you want, and when you get back into it you can sift through the BS and get some new / current / used bikes that meet your needs.

If I thought I wasn't going to race any more I'd hang onto my mountain bike only because I can ride with the family on it. I'd hang onto my road frames because they have crazy geometry. And I'd get a kart and/or start working on my cars a lot more.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 10-03-20, 09:14 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

After hanging into it for like 10 years of incredibly infrequent use, I sold my caad9 for peanuts.

Managed to find my current road bike used also for peanuts. Except 'new' bike had 11 speed Shimano, significantly better geometry for me, and I think it's stiffer in the right places and more forgiving in others.

I felt like I wish I'd parted out the caad 9 but once I bought my ghost.... I stopped caring about that.

Point is, if you want to get in on the boom right now, go for it. Send some pictures to pros closet to see what they think it's worth. If it sounds good to you it's like a zero hassle way to do it. If you don't like their numbers, then post it on cl/fb.

It's just stuff. You can always buy another bike down the line.

As a total aside, I've been reading the old old old training status thread circa 2008 from when I first got a pm. What a wild ride lol. Also dang, I miss being that fast!
​​​​
Old 10-04-20, 04:10 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I bought a bunch of winter hiking gear. Snowshoes, crampons, micro spikes, clothes. I'd sell one of my two identical bikes, but I'm so finicky about position I can't imagine changing bikes if I ever decided to get back to it. In fact I have a box of saddles and pedals (Times RXS and Aliante with the braided rails) which have been discontinued that I find trouble letting go of.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-04-20, 09:39 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Gary what roadie are you on these days?

Iirc you used to race on a giant back in the day? Or was that Botto.
Old 10-05-20, 04:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Still on my 2014 Giant TCR Advanced bikes (regular posts, not ISP SL). There are lighter bikes, but so far I'm still faster on these.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-09-20, 09:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

It took SRM two months to put in a new battery and recalibrate the power meter. I got it back yesterday. Also, I had them convert from a battery that had to be replaced to a rechargeable.

The charging port is on the outside of the spider and there is no cover to protect the electrical contacts from exposure to dirt and crud. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am going to send SRM and note and ask them about it. The design seems odd.
Old 10-09-20, 01:45 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
It should be fine. The PC8 has the same charging port. It's a magnetic connection between the charging cable and port.
Old 10-09-20, 03:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by topflightpro
It should be fine. The PC8 has the same charging port. It's a magnetic connection between the charging cable and port.
SRM responded that they have not had any problems with dirt.
Old 10-09-20, 04:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If you're going to sell them now is the time. The shortage will soon be over, new bikes are being delivered to dealers.
I just sold two bikes and a set of wheels through my lbs. Not a lot of money but got me some more space, down to three bikes now. Other people I know have sold bikes this summer.

plus:sad
I have some 10-speed Ritchey wheels that I inherited. I was going to use them as back up CX wheels, but maybe I'll try selling them instead.
Old 10-09-20, 05:09 PM
big john

Originally Posted by caloso
I have some 10-speed Ritchey wheels that I inherited. I was going to use them as back up CX wheels, but maybe I'll try selling them instead.
I have a set of Cole wheels I would like to sell but the freehub body is broken and I can't find one anywhere. I even wrote to Cole after they reorganized and they wrote back and said they would look into it but they haven't written back. It's an unusual design, the pawls are in the hub and the freehub body has teeth.

My lbs guy said 10 speed stuff was harder to sell but he had a buyer for my Ksyriums right away.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-11-20, 07:55 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

This is amazing:

https://www.insider.com/luca-corberi...nships-2020-10

Also, if you were selling this... what would you list it for? Bike has shimano 105 5800 11 speed setup and I upgraded the FD and RD to R7000 because they shift better.
I'd be taking off the power meter and swapping the saddle and post over to something cheaper before selling it.

I love the damn thing, but I think the best thing I can do at this point re bikes is get something that has disc wheels and can take wider tire so I can be a bit more comfortable but also so I can travel with it and go where-ever the road takes me. Could sell this and possibly a set of carbon wheels I have to put more money towards the 'other' bike. Hell, I'd even sell my other road bike if I ended up with something good but my kickr won't take a bike with disc brakes lol.

The trek barely clears 25's with modern wheels. Though I got a parlee FD clamp for it in hopes that I could put 28's on it since the tire has trouble coming past the FD clamp due to the short chainstays.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 10-11-20 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 08:34 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
My kids' pod teacher, just found out that she was exposed to someone with Covid a week ago. Has spend the last week in our houses working with our kids (and talking with us at beginning/ends of days) without masks. So far no symptoms, so hoping for the best, but I just wrote all my classes and told all my students I'm teaching online only this week until she gets her test back (and will probably sign up for another one even though I just got one last Monday, so I can have a headstart on my isolation period if needed). Frustrating to have spent so long in isolation to have a weak link in the system. Also frustrating to have to pay someone for the next week (who hopefully isn't sick) for not working after she broke our isolation protocol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.