Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cup and Cone Adjustment Issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 08:54 PM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

New to this, trying myself the first time. A Shimano rear hub. The drive side is locked down. I tighten the non-drive side cone by hand so there is just a little axle play left. Everytime I hold it in place with a cone wrench and then tighten the locknut, the cone is too loose again, like by a significant amount. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Chris
Old 11-01-20, 09:06 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Two wrenches on NDS. One for cone, one for locknut. It takes a while to get it right. I find that holding the NDS cone in place, backing off NDS locknut, and turning axle on the DS with my fingers makes it easier to dial it in.

John
Old 11-01-20, 09:18 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html
An axle vise like this simplifies getting quick-release hubs adjusted corrrectly: https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ub-axle-vises/
Old 11-01-20, 10:27 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
It's hard to get perfect just doing the cone and locknut. Easier is to get the cone nearly perfect snug the lock nut to it and then use a pair of 17mm wrenches to snug the locknuts towards each other which will also tighten against the cone in the process, once the cone feels perfect finish tightening the cone and locknut together and double check that it still spins with no play.
Old 11-02-20, 07:10 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris O
...I tighten the non-drive side cone by hand so there is just a little axle play left. Everytime I hold it in place with a cone wrench and then tighten the locknut, the cone is too loose again, like by a significant amount. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
This step is incorrect. In fact, do just the opposite. Tighten the NDS cone to the bearings as tight as you can with your greasy fingers. Then as you wrench the lock nut down, the cone will usually back off just the right amount and you're done, that easy. Don't over-tighten the lock nut, in case you still need to adjust with the two-wrench method noted above.

When using two wrenches, the ends of the wrenches shouldn't move more than a few mm to get exact adjustment.
Old 11-04-20, 04:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...what works regularly for me (for many years now), is to loosely tighten the lock nuts down on both sides with the cones too tight (i.e. you can feel some roughness when the wheel turns on the axle). Then I carefully fit two cone wrenches onto the cone flats, and using a significant force, back one or the other cone out, tightening them further against the lock nuts. But sometimes you need to fiddle with this adjustment, like any other bearing adjustment, it does not go exactly right on the first try 100% of the time.
Likes For 3alarmer: