Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Downed Power Lines

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: You are riding along and come upon a downed power line. What do you do?
Ride over it. The rubber tires/tubes will protect you.
3.09%
Play it safe and bunny hop it.
7.22%
Carefully step over, while carrying the bike.
9.28%
Turn around and change route, it’s much too dangerous to risk.
60.82%
Stop and move the line to the side, so no one gets hurt.
2.06%
Other
17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Downed Power Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 08:08 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
So you are an opinionated ‘gentleman’ with no sense of humor. Pleased to meet you.
I'm sorry, it was meant in jest since it seems that all of the naked bike riders you hear about are on the west coast, for example, the lady in Ojai.

I was not intending to insult you, and apologize if I did.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-10-20, 08:41 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I actually have some experience with this, although I wasn't on my bike. I watched a car take out an overhead power pole, in my panic, I stopped without running over the line so I guess that's my true answer. But once I traced the wires and realized it was the triplex service drop to the building that was on the ground and ripped off the XFMR I knew there was no threat.

Phone, fiber, coax on the ground are getting run over. Triplex I'm going to look and see if it's still hooked to the XFMR. Primaries I'm not getting near. When the overhead primaries to our XFMR got caught up in a tree during a hurricane, even though I knew the primaries were dead, I wanted nothing to do with trying to clear the line because I had no way of knowing (other than risking turning myself into a candle) when the primaries would be reenergized.
Old 11-10-20, 09:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You don't need to step on or touch high current power lines to be electrocuted. If you are a good ground, the current will 'jump' to you and ground out.
You are dead.
Old 11-10-20, 09:16 AM
coupster

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
To all of you that want to go anywhere near a downed line, please go right ahead with my blessings and encouragement. The world will be a much better place with less yahoos and idiots.
Likes For coupster:
Old 11-10-20, 10:45 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 5,632 Times in 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I'm sorry, it was meant in jest since it seems that all of the naked bike riders you hear about are on the west coast, for example, the lady in Ojai.

I was not intending to insult you, and apologize if I did.

Much appreciated. Emojis often help delineate humor from non, such as ->.

Have a a good day.

Old 11-10-20, 12:28 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Where's the "throw a spent CO2 cartridge at it" option?
Old 11-10-20, 08:04 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
If it's low voltage, I'd probably go around it carefully. If high voltage, turn 180, get away and report it!
Old 11-10-20, 08:27 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 872 Posts
downed lines are common here on the east Texas coast when tropical storms pass thru. i saw a couple this year after Laura. Definitely a detour and report to 911
Old 11-11-20, 10:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'd "McGyver" some sort of inverter device, pinch-connect it to the power line and use it to recharge my phone, my GPS, my electronic shifter and my portable boombox.
Only need an inverter if you're powering an AC device from a DC battery. What you'd need in this situation is a step down transformer going from 10 kV down to whatever voltage you need, plus a rectifier circuit to change it from AC to DC. [/electronics nerd]
Old 11-11-20, 10:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by coupster
To all of you that want to go anywhere near a downed line, please go right ahead with my blessings and encouragement. The world will be a much better place with less yahoos and idiots.
They just want to win a coveted Darwin Award.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-11-20, 11:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Only need an inverter if you're powering an AC device from a DC battery. What you'd need in this situation is a step down transformer going from 10 kV down to whatever voltage you need, plus a rectifier circuit to change it from AC to DC. [/electronics nerd]
Luckily I always carry those things in my saddlebag on every ride ... I mean, who doesn't?

An inverter, though ... I have never needed a power inverter on a ride.
Old 11-11-20, 12:57 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Humorless nerd here.

Actually the conducting tires would make no problem. If the bike were full metal all the current would go through it, and the voltage drop between different points of the bike would be negligible. (Think of birds sitting on power line wires, all the current goes through the wire making no harm to the bird). The metal bike will shunt the human body. The reality may be different: possible breakdown between the wire and the foot, parts being insulated because of the paint, falling near the wire and getting killed by the step potential etc. Stop and call 911.

Definitely do not "carefully step over it" because of the step potential.
Old 11-11-20, 01:14 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
High voltages tend to quickly go through a thin layer of paint and the like. It might jump directly to the rim or frame if and when you put your foot down.
I agree though: Don't frigging step over it. Stop at a safe distance and call 911 as you say.
I'm reminded of people being electrocuted in fresh water harbours due to some boat in the vicinity having a faulty ground (ESD, Electric Shock Drowning). Some things are simply not worth it.

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAw&uact=5
Old 11-11-20, 03:35 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by csport
Humorless nerd here.

Actually the conducting tires would make no problem. If the bike were full metal all the current would go through it, and the voltage drop between different points of the bike would be negligible. (Think of birds sitting on power line wires, all the current goes through the wire making no harm to the bird). The metal bike will shunt the human body. The reality may be different: possible breakdown between the wire and the foot, parts being insulated because of the paint, falling near the wire and getting killed by the step potential etc. Stop and call 911.
Don't forget the possibility of getting the power wire wound up in your wheel or something, or a power pole falling and pulling the wire up right as you ride over it.

Smart people know how to deal with danger. Really smart people know how to avoid danger in the first place. If there is a wire down, stay far away from it. Don't assume it's not live just because you don't see sparks.
Old 11-11-20, 03:48 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
if it smells of electricity, call the utility service maintainer.
Old 11-14-20, 07:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
A downed line is potentially (ha) creating a field in anything it’s in contact with, e.g., the ground surrounding it. If it’s a big enough line, that means if your wheels or feet are far enough apart, there can be enough potential difference between them to hurt you. Same principle applies to precautions for ground strikes from lightning Unless it’s, like, a little residential line or something, I wouldn’t even go near it, much less ride over it. Imagine having one wheel on the live line and the other on neutral ground while you’re spread out in the same spatial axis on the bike! And rubber shmubber. Anything, including air, will conduct when it’s ionized enough.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-16-20, 08:32 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I ride the W&OD trail through Ashburn, VA where the internet roams. (70% of global Internet traffic flows through Ashburn.) the power lines along the trail power multiple megawatt data centers.

If one of those lines falls hot and you’re near it turn around, go back a few yards and call 911. Stay there and prevent others from riding past. If you can be seen and heard by riders coming the other way, do your best to get them to stop too.
Likes For BEC111:
Old 11-17-20, 07:35 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Down power lines usually follow catastrophic events. As a Hurricane Katrina survivor, I learned to keep all public service utilities emergency contact numbers in my phone. When 911 services are slammed, contacting the electric utility directly can yield faster response times.
Old 11-17-20, 08:39 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
And rubber shmubber. Anything, including air, will conduct when it’s ionized enough.
Especially when it's 13.8 kV on a standard residential line. If for some reason the electricity wants to make a path through your bicycle your thin tires are not going to insulate it that much. The electricity may even jump through the air around your tires.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-17-20, 01:01 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
A couple of years ago we had a windy storm pass through. However, nothing unusual for summer time in FL. The next morning was a bright, sunny beautiful day. A cyclist was on one of our local paths that morning and didn't see a downed power line. Instant death.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 11-17-20, 02:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by bikecrate
A couple of years ago we had a windy storm pass through. However, nothing unusual for summer time in FL. The next morning was a bright, sunny beautiful day. A cyclist was on one of our local paths that morning and didn't see a downed power line. Instant death.
I had to quote this because I felt weird about "Liking" it. Something about the phrase "instant death," I guess.

Then again, it was Florida. The guy was probably trying to tow the line back to his house to get free electricity.
Old 11-17-20, 03:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
My second of my three (failed) attempts at ending my life (all not intended) happened when I managed to contact an apparently live electrical conduit with my sweaty right wrist while holding bailing wire in my equally sweaty left hand. Stopped my heart and breathing instantly. Paralyzed me, But I stayed fully conscious. Knew I had to break the contact and reasoned if I kicked hard enough I could unbalance myself and fall off the step ladder I was on. It worked. I got to about an inch past balance, then fell for what seemed like minutes before hitting the floor very hard flat on my back. The impact started my heart. Fascinating being completely aware of the state of my body the whole time.

We never duplicated the circuit. Probably 110V though it could have been 220V. Whatever, it was plenty.

Ben
Old 11-18-20, 10:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
There's a video on the internet of some guy walking from car to car on top of an Indian train and contacting the overhead wires. I'm kind of sorry I watched it.
Old 11-18-20, 11:35 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Fascinating being completely aware of the state of my body the whole time.
Good story. I bet it felt great.

Glad you didn't get hurt falling off that ladder.
Old 11-18-20, 11:39 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
There's a video on the internet of some guy walking from car to car on top of an Indian train and contacting the overhead wires. I'm kind of sorry I watched it.
On a related note, a few years ago we were doing some work in the subway in Chicago so we had to take the official Chicago Transit Authority subcontractor's safety class. Among other things, one of the items they taught us was the correct way to step over the electrified third rail. Then they took us out into the coach yard and made us demonstrate we'd paid attention and could do it successfully! Needless to say, that was one real serious group of guys who all had to go up there one at a time and step over the live rails for the instructor. I kept thinking, won't my steel-toe shoes cause it to arc or something? But fortunately none of us died.
Likes For Reflector Guy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.