Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is the Zeus Competition French threaded?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 03:24 PM
Realsteel95

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1986 Chirico Special Competition, 1984 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, and 1972 Zeus Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Hey everyone,

My current project is a early 70s Zeus Competition that someone turned into a commuter bike so I am in the process of bringing it back to something more period correct. I am in the process of refitting it with mostly Zeus components but I was wondering if this is French threaded or not I have heard rumors that some Zeus's if not all are French threaded and I don't know if this is accurate or not. I would keep the existing headset but it is not original and very cheap looking. So should I be looking for a French threaded headset or a British standard headset?

Any insight would be helpful as I have gone this deep into a build before,
Old 11-30-20, 03:39 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

it is 100% metric/BNA/"french" dimension

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-30-20, 06:09 PM
Realsteel95

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1986 Chirico Special Competition, 1984 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, and 1972 Zeus Competition

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-30-20, 06:29 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

1983-84 was when Spanish bicycle manufacturers began the transition to ISO dimension

if you have any additional questions about the Competition feel free to post them

have owned three examples from the early 1970's, so plenty of hands-on experience

-----
Old 11-30-20, 07:42 PM
Numberfourson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
French thread ?

I'm still learning and I can't say for certain which is which. I own two 1973 Zeus Professionals and discovered they are two different threads.
I bought a few pairs of Shimano SPD pedals thinking if I used the same pedals on differing bikes I wouldn't need a set of shoes for toe clips.
The pedals threaded easily into one crankset but not the other.
Any body know where I can find a nice pair of antique leather shoes with flat soles ?
Enjoying the ride...
Old 12-01-20, 11:30 AM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
FWIW By July 1977, Zeus Catalog 103, Zeus was offering a full range of "Metric BNA, English BSC and Italian (SAE)"

Cheers.

Brad
Old 12-01-20, 12:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Numberfourson
I'm still learning and I can't say for certain which is which. I own two 1973 Zeus Professionals and discovered they are two different threads.
I bought a few pairs of Shimano SPD pedals thinking if I used the same pedals on differing bikes I wouldn't need a set of shoes for toe clips.
The pedals threaded easily into one crankset but not the other.
Any body know where I can find a nice pair of antique leather shoes with flat soles ?
Enjoying the ride...
You can retap these to english threaded and not have to buy new shoes (or pedals)

https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/200...l-threads.html
Old 12-01-20, 01:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Unless you have very small/narrow feet, those original pedals will cripple you.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-01-20, 01:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Numberfourson
I own two 1973 Zeus Professionals and discovered they are two different threads.
I bought a few pairs of Shimano SPD pedals thinking if I used the same pedals on differing bikes I wouldn't need a set of shoes for toe clips. The pedals threaded easily into one crankset but not the other.
FWIW, Zeus crank arms will have "BSC" stamped in the back of the arm to indicate English thread. If there is no mark, it's likely metric (aka "French") thread, unless a previous owner re-tapped them to English.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zeus-pedal-thread.jpg (63.2 KB, 54 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-01-20, 01:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...of the original components, the most iffy one is the rear derailleur, but it works OK, if you accept the limitations of the design. If yours has been a commuter, it's not unlikely some of the original stuff has been replaced. AS stated above, it's all metric, a French bicycle manufactured in Spain.
Old 12-01-20, 04:22 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...of the original components, the most iffy one is the rear derailleur, but it works OK, if you accept the limitations of the design. If yours has been a commuter, it's not unlikely some of the original stuff has been replaced. AS stated above, it's all metric, a French bicycle manufactured in Spain.
Of all of the various steel incarnations of this design - Valentino/Velox,Svelto'Luxe, Alfa Jr., Belri, Sanko, Roto - this and the Valentino GS are the most likely to stay tight; they have outer paralellogram plates that form a complete U to locate both holes of the pivot rivets. The Campy Sport GS does as well, but hasn't a two-jockey cage.

The Zeus one has the advantage of being paired with a front mech of equal if not greater bling. The best of the Campy and Huret rears were equally shiny, but their fronts were drab.
Old 12-01-20, 09:06 PM
Realsteel95

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
I actually don't think there is a single thing made by Zeus on this frame sadly, luckily I ordered super alfa breaks, a Zeus competition crankset and a criterium derailleur so eventually most of it will be Zeus except perhaps the headset. Knowing what I know now I'm looking at a Velo Orange french threaded headset.
Old 12-02-20, 01:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Realsteel95
I actually don't think there is a single thing made by Zeus on this frame sadly, luckily I ordered super alfa breaks, a Zeus competition crankset and a criterium derailleur so eventually most of it will be Zeus except perhaps the headset. Knowing what I know now I'm looking at a Velo Orange french threaded headset.

...the deal with those is that they have a pretty big stack height, compared to the originals. Which is a shame. But if you have enough fork steerer to make one work, they are good quality for the price they sell them at. There was one window of time when they were closing out the old Stronglight A9's. They were cheaply priced, and I wish I'd had the good sense to buy a few more of them.