Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Surly cancelling a few lines, including the LHT

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-25-20, 12:06 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://surlybikes.com/blog/a_digita...ual_surlyville

Pack Rat; Long Haul Trucker; Troll; and Pugsley will not be restocked.
Old 11-25-20, 01:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
The LHT is discontinued, but the DT will continue. Given the trend towards disc brakes for gravel, adventure, and touring bikes- this makes sense. Its not like Surly is exiting the adventure and touring arenas.

With that said, I wonder why the accelerated the decision to discontinue these models, The link said that had covid not happened, they wouldnt have discontinued these so quickly. Perhaps they are looking to increase production volume of higher selling frames and so the low volume frames had to be eliminated? I cant think of another reason besides that.
Old 11-25-20, 01:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The LHT is discontinued, but the DT will continue. Given the trend towards disc brakes for gravel, adventure, and touring bikes- this makes sense. Its not like Surly is exiting the adventure and touring arenas.

With that said, I wonder why the accelerated the decision to discontinue these models, The link said that had covid not happened, they wouldnt have discontinued these so quickly. Perhaps they are looking to increase production volume of higher selling frames and so the low volume frames had to be eliminated? I cant think of another reason besides that.
I presume that they had already ceased production, and then COVID drew down their inventory more rapidly than expected.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-25-20, 02:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Surly always had a lot of redundancy in their catalog, so a little streamlining is probably a good thing. Ogre, Troll, ECR, Bridge Club, Krampus, and Karate Monkey are all essentially variations on a theme, as are the Pugsley, Wednesday, and Ice Cream Truck. Don't get me wrong, I love Surly and I'm a big proponent of having LOTS of choices, but the casual observer gets a little lost in the differences between a "dirt road expedition bike," an "all-road touring bike," and an "off-road bikepacking bike," especially when switching wheels and tires will essentially turn any of them into one of the others.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-25-20, 02:33 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Or perhaps with covid not going away anytime soon, and fewer people touring (buying tour bikes) they've had to pare down the offerings to the few lines that have the best sales. I could see the LHT giving way to the DT given disc trends.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 11-25-20, 03:45 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Weird. The LHT is a cult classic. Crazy Guy on a Bike posters will be without their icon.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 11-25-20, 03:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Surly always had a lot of redundancy in their catalog, so a little streamlining is probably a good thing. Ogre, Troll, ECR, Bridge Club, Krampus, and Karate Monkey are all essentially variations on a theme, as are the Pugsley, Wednesday, and Ice Cream Truck. Don't get me wrong, I love Surly and I'm a big proponent of having LOTS of choices, but the casual observer gets a little lost in the differences between a "dirt road expedition bike," an "all-road touring bike," and an "off-road bikepacking bike," especially when switching wheels and tires will essentially turn any of them into one of the others.
+1

So many options, particularly when marketed based on their idea of purpose rather that actual differences, leads to buyer paralysis. Seems like it's a needed change, and will probably deliver cost reductions (to surly), quality improvements, and customer clarity.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-25-20, 04:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
My guess it was too much trouble to get more. It's not like they are sitting on stock of anything.
Old 11-25-20, 05:44 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Weird. The LHT is a cult classic. Crazy Guy on a Bike posters will be without their icon.
I will admit I am happy I bought one before they quit making them. I wanted a classic style frame, and the LHT was it. The new Disc Trucker is fantastic, but it isn't what I wanted, or want. I was able to fit my LHT the way bikes used to fit, not a lot of seat post showing, and the bars level or slightly higher than the bars. I bought my frame larger than many do, because I wanted that classic fit. I love the way it rides, handles, and how stable it is.

Time moves on, but I'm glad I have the old style LHT.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-25-20, 05:47 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Fortunately there is still an apparently endless supply of 90's steel MTBs on Craigslist waiting to be converted to LHTs.
Likes For zen_:
Old 11-25-20, 05:54 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Shipping is expensive and limited (as compared to 12 months ago) right now, so I'd say that rather than reorder bikes slated for discontinuation, which may have been fine in other times, they decided not to reorder.
Old 11-25-20, 06:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I will admit I am happy I bought one before they quit making them. I wanted a classic style frame, and the LHT was it. The new Disc Trucker is fantastic, but it isn't what I wanted, or want. I was able to fit my LHT the way bikes used to fit, not a lot of seat post showing, and the bars level or slightly higher than the bars. I bought my frame larger than many do, because I wanted that classic fit. I love the way it rides, handles, and how stable it is.

Time moves on, but I'm glad I have the old style LHT.
Yep.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-25-20, 06:07 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Slightly, or more, OT, but why don't more makers of touring bikes make racks specifically for them? The picture above made me think of it.
Old 11-25-20, 07:33 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by Pratt
Slightly, or more, OT, but why don't more makers of touring bikes make racks specifically for them? The picture above made me think of it.
Salsa do, for their alternator dropout bikes at least. The Trek 920 and 1120 also have purpose made racks, but I get your point.

Still, the Pack Rat was almost made for its rack, the Surly Demi Porteur rack. I really expected to see a dirty disco rat in the future, an all road/gravel disc randonneur. Still, without true low trail geometry and stated clearance for the now widely available 650x47B tires, like the WTB Horizon, it was never going to flourish as a real competitor to the SOMA Grand Randonneur or be a low cost and available alternative to the Elephant NFE, the latter of which will take the popular 26x2.3 Compass (Rene Herse) Rat Trap Pass tires.

With the questionable choices taken at Surly with regard to the Pack Rat and its geometry, it was never going to escape the Midnight Special's shadow.

Last edited by PDKL45; 11-25-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-25-20, 07:34 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
Those racks were not made for that bike but work quite well.

Not everyone tours with racks, and those who do would rather have racks that work well with the panniers they want/use.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-25-20, 08:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
If I want a rack for touring I want it to be like a Tubus rack, lightweight, durable, reliable, good looking and can handle a proper dynamo light (and steel is nice). If it is custom made AWESOME, if it is Tubus, Awesome and if it is another brand fine by me.

In terms of the OT it kind of sucks to a point but they make so many different but quite similar bikes. We still have the DT and the Cross Check that should satisfy. In terms of the Pack Rat I dig the concept but not as a Surly. When I think Rando bike my mind wanders more to the classic lightweight stuff, the J.P. Weigle, Concurs D' Elegance bike is a perfect example. I just don't think Surly quite fits in that nitch.
Old 11-26-20, 04:11 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
The link said that had covid not happened, they wouldnt have discontinued these so quickly. Perhaps they are looking to increase production volume of higher selling frames and so the low volume frames had to be eliminated? I cant think of another reason besides that.
Could be that they've had to change the layout of the factory to provide more distance between staff, and thus had to drop the less popular stuff that no longer fits.
Old 11-26-20, 05:28 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I was wondering when the Troll would go. It's getting hard to find decent wider rims and wider touring tyres in 26".
Pity, when travelling you can stuff a 26" bike in a smaller box than a 29er and sometimes this can save you hundreds on excess or oversize fees.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 11-26-20, 07:36 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I could see the LHT giving way to the DT given disc trends.
...and the associated wheel-swapping trends & thru-axle trends & 142mm OLD trends. The LHT was beginning to reflect 'the way we used to do things'.
Old 11-26-20, 08:30 AM
banana jam 

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
No love for the LHT. At 6'2" 235# that bike was a noodle. It was a canti-pre disc job but still. My Black Mountain Cycles does everything right for me and it rides well w/ or w/o packs, which unfortunately the LHT only rode decently when loaded. Just my .02.
Old 11-26-20, 10:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by banana jam
No love for the LHT. At 6'2" 235# that bike was a noodle. It was a canti-pre disc job but still. My Black Mountain Cycles does everything right for me and it rides well w/ or w/o packs, which unfortunately the LHT only rode decently when loaded. Just my .02.
The LHT has tubing with thicker butting than the MC. Odd that you found it to be a noodle, as thats the opposite of many owners who say its harsh unloaded.

I use my Black Mountain MC for commute/overnights- love it. Wasn't able to use it much this year, unfortunately.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-26-20, 10:19 PM
PDKL45

Did anyone else see the supposedly leaked pics of the unreleased Surly Ghost Grappler? Link is to R3dd1t, it's not working, maybe just Google "Surly Ghost Grappler."

It smells like a viral marketing stunt, but it hasn't been very viral. The pics came from a newly established Twitter account with a bit of a strange story, but the geometry of the bike is interesting, as is the reverse mullet wheels it's running (27.5+ in the front with a big ol' 29er wagon wheel out the back). Maybe a slightly cheaper (depending on where you live; Surly is not cheap in many places) alternative to the Salsa Fargo and Cutthroat?

Last edited by PDKL45; 02-18-21 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 05:40 AM
indyfabz

The LHT has tubing with thicker butting than the MC. Odd that you found it to be a noodle, as thats the opposite of many owners who say its harsh unloaded.

I use my Black Mountain MC for commute/overnights- love it. Wasn't able to use it much this year, unfortunately.
+1. I’m 6’2” around 215 fighting weight. I commute on my LHT and have done plenty of tours, including ones with a lot of weight in the Rockies. I’ve also ridden it loaded off road in hilly/mountainous areas. Never find the bike noodly and think it rides better loaded that unloaded.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-27-20, 02:22 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Seems like COVID would be a good opportunity to shift some production back to the US.
Old 11-28-20, 10:33 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by TomM
Seems like COVID would be a good opportunity to shift some production back to the US.
Then the same people who make threads about the horrors of production in naughty China will start making threads about the high price of post-COVID bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.