Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Getting clinchers for Vitus with tubular?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 08:27 PM
DC City Hauler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Hi. I've been watching for Vitus bikes on ebay and finally saw one that I like at an acceptable price, in what I think is the correct size. I was thinking about pulling the trigger when I realized that the wheels had tubular tires. It's been literally 35 years since I've dealt with tubular tires--and only once or twice--and I would want to switch to regular clinchers. So here's the thing: how much would it cost me to get a set of decent clinchers? Am I right in thinking that I need all-new rims at the very least? Also, what would I have to know with regard to switching the rear gears if I were to buy new wheels, assuming the plan was to swap the ones on the current rear wheel? Or do I go for a whole new gear system? The cassette I guess is the word. What do I need to know?

A little googling tells me I'm going to have to pay at least $200 for new wheels. This is on top of a purchase price that's already a bit steep. , on top of the purchase price of the bike. If true, I'm inclined to take a pass and wait for another Vitus to come along.

Here's the bike in question. I noted that it's missing pedals, but that's ok since I assume I'd be picking up something to go along with new biking shoes anyway. Back in the day I had Look pedals and would want something comparable.

Last edited by DC City Hauler; 11-30-20 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 09:09 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I am biased in favor of sew-ups. Its got new tires! Run it as is after getting a spare. Really not that big a deal unless you plan on running on sketchy roads where you are going to get the same number of flats. Changing a sew-up is as fast or faster than a clincher with a new tube i.l.o. patching. It already has a nice set of wheels and the rims will last a bit longer than the tires.
Old 12-01-20, 11:16 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I'd say stick with sew ups too - it's part of the vintage experience and there is satisfaction in getting good at it. My tubular wheelset it the thing I love MOST about riding my vintage bike.

But if your budget is as tight as you imply, then you could probably find some clincher rims and new spokes and rebuild on the same hubs and keep everything else the same for under $200, and maybe sell the tubular rims too.
Old 12-01-20, 11:47 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
OP,
The price of admission to vitus on the bike in question seems very high to me....a quick look on C.L. turned these up, of course, they are not your size but the prices are all over the place...some higher (but not selling).
I would suggest that you wait another will come along for a much better price. The notion of the cost of wheels is also continigent on what you want to do....wheelsets on CL will range from 125.00 to stratosphere, but you should be able to find a decent set for under 200.00 with tires often with a cassette or freewheel.
Be Patient.
Good Luck, Ben

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...218444081.html
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...201696783.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bop...238360862.html
Old 12-01-20, 11:57 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I put stans in my tubies so I don’t change them mid ride. I personally can’t think of a single good reason to run clinchers in popular tubular sizes.
Old 12-01-20, 12:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I agree with Ben. Wait for a nicer specimen if you are willing to put more than $1000 into it.
Old 12-01-20, 01:51 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

@DC City Hauler - Having ridden in DC for several years, I would not hesitate to ride sew-ups in that area. Lots of nice paths and the roads are often good.

I would stick to clinchers on the FG/SS.
Old 12-01-20, 04:34 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,909 Times in 1,140 Posts
DCCH,
I doubt that a pair of clinchers will set you back $200 unless you buy new stuff. If you look through the junk here in my shop you could get a set with tires for on the cheap. If you are willing to use some used parts I could likely find you something for the cost of shipping. But it looks like the Vitus is overpriced so I hope you keep looking around. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-02-20, 02:16 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,469 Times in 3,201 Posts
Originally Posted by DC City Hauler
how much would it cost me to get a set of decent clinchers?
First, buy vintage used ($100-$160) or build them yourself with vintage hubs ($50-$100 if you don't already have them) and either new rims ($70-$150) or really good vintage rims ($50-$120). Double butted spokes will be around $60.

what would I have to know with regard to switching the rear gears?
Most vintage hubs of the 120-126mm o.l.d. variety use 5, 6-, and 7-speed freewheels that thread onto the hub. You can use a vintage cluster or buy new.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-02-20, 06:12 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
First, buy vintage used ($100-$160) or build them yourself with vintage hubs ($50-$100 if you don't already have them) and either new rims ($70-$150) or really good vintage rims ($50-$120). Double butted spokes will be around $60.

Most vintage hubs of the 120-126mm o.l.d. variety use 5, 6-, and 7-speed freewheels that thread onto the hub. You can use a vintage cluster or buy new.
Tell me more about hubs. Most of you recommend buying/building rims using vintage parts. Why? Is there a technical reason needing to do so? Or is the idea simply to be 'period-appropriate'? Or just to save money by going with old parts?

To be clear, I'm interested in saving money so would welcome used parts. I'd happily ride vintage wheels if I'm getting good value. But I'm not interested in period-appropriate for its own sake. I like the Vitus because I think it's beautiful and cool and would rather own/ride something of beauty than spend the equivalent on a new bike...the only new bikes I think are good looking are vastly more expensive custom builds. Several thousand dollars versus under $1k. Of course, all things being equal I'd take an 80s Vitus with a period-appropriate Campy group over Shimanos new or old, but who wouldn't? But, money aside, is there a technical reason why I can't just go out and buy whatever new wheel sets that, say, Performance is selling?

By the way, the same logic has gotten me a closet full of mid-20th century Brooks Brothers suits. It's like this: For maybe $200 plus $150 in tailoring I can get a suit that's demonstrably superior to any suit that costs under $2k new. And radically better than any new $200 suit. So it's not that I'm trying to dress vintage...I just appreciate the value proposition. Oh, and yes I look great in great suits (not that I've worn any suits since Covid happened in March). Now, compare a $800 vintage Vitus with whatever Taiwanese bike I can get for the same price at the neighborhood bike store. Functionally that new bike might even be better...but the Vitus is also, well, sexy

Last edited by DC City Hauler; 12-02-20 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-02-20, 06:14 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@DC City Hauler - Having ridden in DC for several years, I would not hesitate to ride sew-ups in that area. Lots of nice paths and the roads are often good.

I would stick to clinchers on the FG/SS.
What are FG/SS?
Old 12-02-20, 06:14 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I put stans in my tubies so I don’t change them mid ride. I personally can’t think of a single good reason to run clinchers in popular tubular sizes.
What are "stans"?
Old 12-02-20, 08:37 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
What are "stans"?
Tubeless tire sealant
Old 12-02-20, 08:39 AM
SJX426 

@DC City Hauler - FG/SS : Fixed Gear/Single Speed

Stans is a "no tube" option for tire configuration - First Name in Tubeless | Stan's NoTubes
Old 12-02-20, 10:10 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
DC City Hauler the bike you are considering has space in its rear end for a vintage hub. You would need to spread that rear end wider to squeeze in a more modern wheel with its wider hub that you might get at performance. Not a big deal with a steel frame but that I have read that Dural frames don't take kindly to being "abused" in such a fashion.
Old 12-02-20, 10:21 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
DC City Hauler the bike you are considering has space in its rear end for a vintage hub. You would need to spread that rear end wider to squeeze in a more modern wheel with its wider hub that you might get at performance. Not a big deal with a steel frame but that I have read that Dural frames don't take kindly to being "abused" in such a fashion.
Sound advice!
Old 12-02-20, 11:43 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,469 Times in 3,201 Posts
Most of you recommend buying/building rims using vintage parts. Why? Is there a technical reason needing to do so? Or is the idea simply to be 'period-appropriate'? Or just to save money by going with old parts?
All the above. We ride vintage because it works for us, and we're really into the aesthetic. It's these two things. We like beautiful things that look right together and can perform just like they did in the 1960 tdf or the 1984 tdf. They don't really wear out if you rebuild and take care of them. We know how to overhaul everything. We know how to replace things. We do all our own work, and it's easy for us to work on simple tech. We love wrenching just as much as riding.

I'm interested in saving money ... and would rather own/ride something of beauty...
Vintage hubs like Campagnolo Record are beautiful and look right. At the same price point, modern hubs are plain and ordinary. If we cannot get our hands on really good old rims, we appreciate new rims that provide a perfect brake surface and still look appropriate with our old stuff. It all needs to work perfectly, smoothly, quietly, just like it did decades ago when new ... or maybe a little better than it did now that we have better tires, chains, etc.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-02-20, 11:56 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Thanks. No, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I hadn't realized there was a space issue. Will be happy to stick with vintage.
Old 12-02-20, 11:59 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
All the above. We ride vintage because it works for us, and we're really into the aesthetic. It's these two things. We like beautiful things that look right together and can perform just like they did in the 1960 tdf or the 1984 tdf. They don't really wear out if you rebuild and take care of them. We know how to overhaul everything. We know how to replace things. We do all our own work, and it's easy for us to work on simple tech. We love wrenching just as much as riding.

Vintage hubs like Campagnolo Record are beautiful and look right. At the same price point, modern hubs are plain and ordinary. If we cannot get our hands on really good old rims, we appreciate new rims that provide a perfect brake surface and still look appropriate with our old stuff. It all needs to work perfectly, smoothly, quietly, just like it did decades ago when new ... or maybe a little better than it did now that we have better tires, chains, etc.
I remember back in the 80s comparing a friend's Campy (Record or Chorus? Don't remember) with my Shimano 105. Yes, my 105s did the job, but Campagnolo managed to make something as banal as a gear ring not just functional but an object of beauty. Very Italian. At the time I was jealous of a friend's Vitus, for the same reason. I assumed it was Italian and only recently, when I decided to hunt for one, learned of its French provenance.
Old 12-02-20, 12:56 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Spreading the 126mm rear end of the Vitus 979 to 130 is something I've done three times now. All the bikes I have done are ridden extensively, and they've been fine for some years. It's ok if you know what you're doing and go very carefully. I do it by hand, not with any tools, so I can better feel what's going on. I use dropout alignment tools to get the faces parallel only after I've done the spreading by hand. Then you can use any cassette-equipped road bike rear wheel. There are a ton of options if you go this route.

That said, if you want to keep the spacing as it is, you can easily find a set of clincher wheels with 126 spacing and run 7-speed on the back with a modern freewheel.
It is also probably pretty easily find a set of wheels with an old Shimano 7-speed freehub that has the hyperglide (HG) freehub lockring thread on the inside, so it can take HG cassettes. Then you can use 8 of the 9 cogs from a readily-available 9-speed cassette and have 8-speed on your 126 spaced Vitus. Upgrading to a freehub is going to make your bike lighter, the rear axle stronger, and the whole thing easier to maintain (don't need a vise to remove the freewheel).

See Sheldon Brown's excellent page about cassettes for more information.
https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Finally, that listing is not a great deal for a Vitus 979. You can do better, especially if you want to change wheels in the end anyway. Wait around and something that is cheaper and possibly more suited to your preferences will pop up.
Old 12-02-20, 01:07 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Tell me more about hubs. Most of you recommend buying/building rims using vintage parts. Why? Is there a technical reason needing to do so? Or is the idea simply to be 'period-appropriate'? Or just to save money by going with old parts?

To be clear, I'm interested in saving money so would welcome used parts. I'd happily ride vintage wheels if I'm getting good value. But I'm not interested in period-appropriate for its own sake. I like the Vitus because I think it's beautiful and cool and would rather own/ride something of beauty than spend the equivalent on a new bike...the only new bikes I think are good looking are vastly more expensive custom builds. Several thousand dollars versus under $1k. Of course, all things being equal I'd take an 80s Vitus with a period-appropriate Campy group over Shimanos new or old, but who wouldn't? But, money aside, is there a technical reason why I can't just go out and buy whatever new wheel sets that, say, Performance is selling?
....a couple of things to think about. This is from the perspective of someone who constructs his own wheels, and has for a long time.

Most of those wheel sets you can buy for a couple hunnet bucks from Performance are constructed by machine, so they need to be tweaked a little bit by the user anyway. At time of receipt, you generally need to balance (and often to increase) the final spoke tensions, as well as stress relieve the spokes. They are good value, considering the cost of rims, hubs, and spokes these days, but you are often limited in what you can find available for purchase with regard to hub OLD spacing, hub quality, spoke number, and most especially rim quality.

So it's not just period correct that is involved here, but function and durability to some extent as well.

The better current offerings in box section rims (if you can get them in the 36 and 32 hole drillings to match your hubs), are really a joy to ride. The feel with a 25-28 mm high pressure clincher tyre approaches that of the older tubulars. They are quite nice, both in manufacturing processes and final finish/quality control. Before the pandemic bike parts crunch, they were more of a bargain. I just priced some 36 hole rims on Amazon, and the Sun rims I used to buy pretty cheaply in the 20-30 dollar range are now selling for 40-50. So much increased in price that I ended up buying some H + Sons rimms for not much more in price, and a big increase in quality.

I have no idea what spokes cost these days, but DT's were running around 50 cents each in bulk 100 boxes the last time I bought any. I have a pretty big collection of leftovers in a 5 gallon bucket, and mostly I use those when I can. The hubs, since you are using the old ones, are free for the cost off reconditioning them ( usually cleaning and new bearings, if needed ) .

So for this particular French PX-10E something or other Super Comp, my investment in the wheels will be about 120 bucks for two rims, plus whatever I spend on spokes if I can't find the right lengths in my bucket, plus maybe an hour to recondition the hubs, plus a couple of evenings (or crummy weather days) in lacing them and doing the tensioning and truing. The tensioning and truing would need doing anyway, even if I bought new machine built wheels.

I look at it as about the same cash investment, with a final result that is vastly superior. Which also comes out sort of period correct as to hubs and spokes, but considerably peppier to ride.

The time factor is larger when you are first learning to do this operation. So if your time is worth anything to you, consider that too. My time is pretty much free for me to do what I enjoy. Not everyone is so fortunate.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-02-20, 01:28 PM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
You guys are all super helpful. The bottom line seems to be:

1. I can do better, price-wise, and frankly I'd just assume not to have to wade into the process of finding/building appropriate replacement wheels. That would require learning a lot. I'm not against learning, but I'd rather spend that time riding
2. Running tubular is doable...I won't HAVE TO replace the wheels, but I'm going to want to eventually.
Old 12-02-20, 02:37 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
I've got a pair of 36 hole Campy Record with Suntour 6speed and MA 40 clincher rims that I've been meaning to put up here that would be available just a little north of where you are if that would be something of interest.