Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Aesthetic Guide for Bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 09:09 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts

This instagram post caught my eye. Caption reads "Aesthetic Bicycle. How To Make A Beautiful Touring Bike. (New Cycling Mar. 1985" and there are a few more photos posted at the account with more detail.

It's obviously in Japanese but I can't help but wonder if there was an English language equivalent? I'd love to see the explanations for different angles and such. Aesthetic sensibilities for bicycles have always fascinated me as they seem to have become less and less important as the sport moved into modern frame design after the late 1980s. My first bikes in the early 2000s were 70s/80s road bikes that I set up per what I found on Sheldon Brown's site. The only guidelines I remember were the brake levers tips being slightly above an imaginary line extending along the bottom of the drops and that seatpost, stem and crankset were all supposed to be the same color. In 2018 it seems like most of the consideration for what a bicycle looks like is often limited to make sure the photos taken are crisp and clear and that's about it. Does anyone have their own aesthetic rules for setting up their bikes?
Old 10-03-18, 09:17 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
It looks like the angle shown apply to the fender ends. There may be other versions of the that perhaps apply to different aspects of the bicycle design. Interesting find.

It looks like a French bike is the model right down to the Huret derailleur and TA crank.
Old 10-03-18, 09:26 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Great topic.

I have a few things I abide by:

- Handlebars and hoods level or close to level. If the bars/hoods are rotated too far back it looks dumb (IMO) and is less practical. To me, it means a shorter stem / shorter reach bar is needed (or perhaps TT is too long)
- Cranks/Stem/Seatpost same color
- Bars/Saddle matching and same color as frame highlights. Black saddle/bars if not.
- Saddle level (or very close to it) and close to center or slightly back on the rails.
- Components matching (brakes, Derailleurs)
- Saddle/bar heights appropriate for intent of bike. Racing bikes with -1 to -4" drop (for larger riders like me), touring/sport bikes close to level

I like the look of fenders on a suitable bike. Not on a race bike, of course. If the frame has eyelets, I prefer fenders on the bike.
Old 10-03-18, 10:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Most of my specific wants are practical and not aesthetic. I fully understand that my bikes arent beauties. They may look 'neat' or 'cool' or 'fun', but they arent beauties. Its often due to the size- like a gangly young giraffe, the proportions arent ideal.

The few aesthetic requirements I have developed are...
Saddle level.
Bars that have a bend so the ramps and drops are both level(or near level) with the ground. Hoods that then transition off the level ramps as smoothly as possible.
No technomic stems. If more rise is needed to get the bars in the correct spot, then Dynamic II stems are used.
Stem, seatpost, and bars all same color(black or silver).

The first two are both aesthetic and practical. The last two is simply aesthetic as I dont find technomic stems to look good in almost any application. They seem to be a fix for a frame thats too small. On the 2 bikes I have where I could use one, I have 0degree Nitto Dynamic II stems instead. They arent a traditional -17 bend and many dont like the 0degree look, but I dislike the 0degree look less than I dislike the comically high technomic look. Its a comprimise.

My bikes are like Mary from Springsteen's Thunder Road- "you aint a beauty, but hey you're alright".
Old 10-03-18, 08:00 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont find technomic stems to look good in almost any application. They seem to be a fix for a frame thats too small. On the 2 bikes I have where I could use one, I have 0degree Nitto Dynamic II stems instead. They arent a traditional -17 bend and many dont like the 0degree look, but I dislike the 0degree look less than I dislike the comically high technomic look. Its a comprimise.
Here I thought I was alone on this island. Give me 0 degree over inches of quill any day. I’ve had a tough time finding traditional 0 degree stems like the dynamic II in longer (120-130) reaches and 26.0 clamp. I usually end up with Ritchey style stems that are better suited on mountain bikes. IMO, they’re passable on most 80s road bikes but out of place on something older. Oh the perils of preferring a smaller frame...

Last edited by plonz; 10-03-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 08:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by plonz

Here I thought I was alone on this island. Give me 0 degree over inches of quill any day. I’ve had a tough time finding traditional 0 degree stems like the dynamic II in longer (120-130) reaches and 26.0 clamp. I usually end up with Ritchey style stems that are better suited on mountain bikes. IMO, they’re passable on most 80s road bikes but out of place on something older. Oh the perils of preferring a smaller frame...
I have bought mine from Ben's Cycle.
https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-dyna...c2_870/product
looks like only 25.4 clamp is in stock right now.

they have 26.0 clamp size too.
Old 10-03-18, 08:50 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
It's obviously in Japanese but I can't help but wonder if there was an English language equivalent?
Old 10-04-18, 04:50 AM
plonz 

I have bought mine from Ben's Cycle.
https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-dyna...c2_870/product
looks like only 25.4 clamp is in stock right now.

they have 26.0 clamp size too.
The clamp size is the challenge. The only 26.0 Dynamic IIs I’ve seen are the rare used listing on eBay while 25.4 clamps are readily available brand new. Is this stem still produced with a 26.0 clamp?
Old 10-04-18, 06:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by plonz

The clamp size is the challenge. The only 26.0 Dynamic IIs I’ve seen are the rare used listing on eBay while 25.4 clamps are readily available brand new. Is this stem still produced with a 26.0 clamp?
I have purchased 3 26.0 stems from Ben's in the last 18 months. I would figure they are still being produced and maybe just out of stock because Ben's still shows 26.0 as an option on their site, you just cant select it to buy.
Give them a call- ive called before to ask about the stems and the guy I spoke with looked and found 2 even though they didnt show as available online. At worst you can then ask them about availability if they are out of stock at the moment.
Old 10-04-18, 10:34 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Sooo.... somewhere among the 27,000+ posts in that thread, there's an English translation of that drawing? Is there a prize for the first person who finds it?
Old 10-04-18, 11:47 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts

I have translated this from Japanese to English. What do I win?
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 10-04-18, 12:16 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
You win the frame pump on the bike pictured in the drawing, if you can find the owner.....
Old 10-04-18, 01:12 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Consider the aesthetic demands on the rider, too. According to this diagram, the rider needs to be proportioned so that the combo of torso, arms, and riding position compute out to long reach relative to the legs; that is, the the legs have to be pretty short for the rider's reach.

How does the Dynamic solve the problem that the Technomic solves?
Old 10-04-18, 08:03 PM
plonz 

Originally Posted by philbob57
How does the Dynamic solve the problem that the Technomic solves?
Comes down to your aesthetic preferences.

Technomic showing a whole lot of quill. Pic is from another BF post. Not my bike and not my preference. On the plus side, you keep the classic -17 degree look where the stem is near parallel to the top tube.

This is my bike and my preference. While not a Dynamic II, it is a 0 degree rise that accomplishes the same thing. Far less exposed quill but the stem angles upward which I know is off-putting for many. I prefer the rise rather than the exposed quill.

@mstateglfr Thanks for the Ben's tip. I'll give them a shout on my next build.
Old 10-04-18, 08:17 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I have translated this from Japanese to English. What do I win?
I laughed very hard at this, good show

My intention was more in line with the article portion that is in the pages of the magazine but not picture. Having an explanation of why A is A is interesting to me.
Old 10-04-18, 09:29 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
My intention was more in line with the article portion that is in the pages of the magazine but not picture. Having an explanation of why A is A is interesting to me.
Seems to me the explanation is right there in the drawing. You see the angle "a" repeated four times when the fenders are aligned as shown. It's hidden symmetry, and humans tend to find beauty in symmetry. (Whether they realize it or not.)
Old 10-05-18, 04:32 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
@plonz

What 0 degree stem is that? I think it looks good.
Old 10-05-18, 06:14 AM
plonz 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
@plonz

What 0 degree stem is that? I think it looks good.
Thanks! That stem is a Ritchey. Steel stem I think intended for a mountain bike, although it does have a 26.0 clamp.
Old 10-05-18, 06:24 AM
Bicyclist008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look of the retro downwards angles stems. Not sure how good they are for causing backache mind...
Old 10-05-18, 11:30 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
It's obviously in Japanese but I can't help but wonder if there was an English language equivalent?
Maybe it serves a specifically Japanese need. I've been told that the Japanes have a different sense of aesthetics, so they might need a few ground rules when designing for foreign markets or designign European inventions.

Originally Posted by philbob57
Consider the aesthetic demands on the rider, too. According to this diagram, the rider needs to be proportioned so that the combo of torso, arms, and riding position compute out to long reach relative to the legs; that is, the the legs have to be pretty short for the rider's reach.
According to Vitrivius the human body was the basis of aesthetic proportioning. So maybe that's why at least some bikes look good. But maybe Japanese are proportioned differently. There are quite a lot of Chinese students cycling where I live, and a lot of the females ride kids bikes instead of small ladies bikes. The explanation given is that they aren't just short, but have different proportions too. Maybe the Japanese and the Chinese proportions are more alike than European proportions?.
Old 10-05-18, 07:13 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
The last two is simply aesthetic as I dont find technomic stems to look good in almost any application. They seem to be a fix for a frame thats too small. On the 2 bikes I have where I could use one, I have 0degree Nitto Dynamic II stems instead. They arent a traditional -17 bend and many dont like the 0degree look, but I dislike the 0degree look less than I dislike the comically high technomic look. Its a comprimise.
I know I've seen Technomics that appear to be "comically" tall (or maybe it's the Tallux stem that's that high), but since getting a few of them on bikes- I don't judge. I have a couple Technomics in use and a Specialized Dirt Drop- so a Nitto DD branded as Specialized... I prefer riding in a more upright position- it's comfortable to me, and I don't worry about my neck. The only issue that I recall having between the Dirt Drop and the Technomic is that it was a little more difficult to walk the bike- as I usually grab on to the stem. After a while you get used to it, I really don't have much of a preference- the Technomic looks a little more traditional so that's what I've chosen.

Another factor for my bikes is having a 21" bike, the head tubes are really short- so all my stems are slammed in there- but still way up there.

1985 Trek 620 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

IMG_1703 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-05-18, 07:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I know I've seen Technomics that appear to be "comically" tall (or maybe it's the Tallux stem that's that high), but since getting a few of them on bikes- I don't judge. I have a couple Technomics in use and a Specialized Dirt Drop- so a Nitto DD branded as Specialized... I prefer riding in a more upright position- it's comfortable to me, and I don't worry about my neck. The only issue that I recall having between the Dirt Drop and the Technomic is that it was a little more difficult to walk the bike- as I usually grab on to the stem. After a while you get used to it, I really don't have much of a preference- the Technomic looks a little more traditional so that's what I've chosen.

Another factor for my bikes is having a 21" bike, the head tubes are really short- so all my stems are slammed in there- but still way up there.
on the judging...its the point of this thread. To have aesthetic preferences means that you have judged a preference to be better for you than the other options.
I totally get the reason why technomic stems exist.
- to allow someone to ride a frame thats too small.
and/or
- to allow someone to ride drop bars in an upright non-traditional drop bar position.

I use Dynamic II stems for the same reasons. I have them on frames that need to get the bars up more due to the saddle height.

I also understand that aesthetically speaking, bars where the drops are even with the top tube isnt really great looking and that a 0degree isnt classic looking. But it makes the bikes fit better so I go with it.

I am not judging the people who use technomic stems in any way. They are just making the bikes they have fit so they can ride.

what's interesting is how many of us(c&v) would probably benefit from taller stack height bikes that currently flood the market. But with that often comes a sloping top tube and that brings a whole other group who judge such a bike design to not be what they like/prefer.

the few who have measurements which fit a bike with 6cm of seatpost and a slammed stem are rare.
Old 10-05-18, 08:20 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
This instagram post caught my eye. Caption reads "Aesthetic Bicycle. How To Make A Beautiful Touring Bike. (New Cycling Mar. 1985" and there are a few more photos posted at the account with more detail.

It's obviously in Japanese but I can't help but wonder if there was an English language equivalent? I'd love to see the explanations for different angles and such. Aesthetic sensibilities for bicycles have always fascinated me as they seem to have become less and less important as the sport moved into modern frame design after the late 1980s. My first bikes in the early 2000s were 70s/80s road bikes that I set up per what I found on Sheldon Brown's site. The only guidelines I remember were the brake levers tips being slightly above an imaginary line extending along the bottom of the drops and that seatpost, stem and crankset were all supposed to be the same color. In 2018 it seems like most of the consideration for what a bicycle looks like is often limited to make sure the photos taken are crisp and clear and that's about it. Does anyone have their own aesthetic rules for setting up their bikes?
Well, I think this Japanese French-fit Randonneuse looks pretty good! But it looks like I have to go find an oceanfront exposure in which to build my bike, or I might not be able to get the fender stays aligned correctly!
Old 10-05-18, 09:14 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

I am loving this thread! So apropos! I’ve posted about this issue I’ve got here and there so why not once more.

I’ve just picked up my dream bike, a Miyata 1K, and it’s the correct size for me /for a roadie/ but for a days-in-the-saddle build I want more of that stack hight. I’d like to get it juuuust a touch higher to get the bars and saddle even. It’s really close, and in perfect world I’d bop down to the LBS and ride the 60 size, and see if that’s where I need to be for the French fit, but this will do just fine for the foreseeable future!

So one of the forumites has graciously sold me a 0 degree black ano nitto stem. After seeing the options posted I think it will slot in perfectly. I just need a little hight, and the bike is technically a 90’s model, and I do t think the slightly up angled stem will look at all out of place! I’m excited to continue this build up!

Old 10-06-18, 06:02 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like those lugs a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.