Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need Saddle Recommendations!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need Saddle Recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 11:20 PM
kayak4water

Bikes: 1973 Campagnia pro, 2007 Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leather?

Depending on your riding style, all saddles could work for you, or maybe only one or two. All saddles would work if you are always hammering on the pedals, but if you're like me, sometimes you just sit, I mean really sit on the saddle. I gotta have my saddle FIT me.
​Our butts present two bumps to the bike. The bike should cup (maybe even caress) those bumps, not FIGHT them.
Your saddle looks really painful.

Leather could be for you, or not. REI has a good return policy (1 year) & sells the Brooks B17 for $120.
purecycles.com has a leather saddle for about $49, that looks good, but I haven't had it in hand or under bum.

Lon Haldeman, ultra distance Rider of years past, had his own method of rapid leather saddle break-in. It worked well for me. Google that.

Good luck!

Last edited by kayak4water; 09-16-18 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 06:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by kayak4water
​Our butts present two bumps to the bike. The bike should cup (maybe even caress) those bumps, not FIGHT them.
That seems to be the philosophy behind the Infinity seat.

purecycles.com has a leather saddle for about $49, that looks good, but I haven't had it in hand or under bum.
The purecycles offered saddle looks like a Gyes GS-15. I think Gyes is the actual manufacturer behind tensioned leather saddles from Cardiff, Dia Compe, Fyxation, Origin8, Papillionaire, Rivet, Spa, Torelli and Velo Orange.

Last edited by tcs; 09-17-18 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 02:16 PM
hally

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree with much of what people posted here about butt pain and it having to do with getting conditioned. Either the saddle hits in the right spot or it does not. No amount of breaking it or your buttocks in is going to change that.

I can ride a steel bleacher seat on my mtb's with no issue but on the road bike, if it's too soft I get soft tissue chafing and numbness. If it's too hard it hurts my sit bones. I mean severe pain like bone poking through skin.
Maybe mine are unusually sharp. It is for sure not for lack of my own padding.
I have tried probably 20 saddles over the last 12 years. My Brooks B17 which has zero padding felt fine on my butt. But......alas it bothered heck out of the soft tissue. Since I can'f find one to demo, trying the model with the cutout is not going to happen. I tried Rivet, I tried the Brooks Cadmium OUCH they both killed my bones. I could go down the list, been to 4 or 5 shops and been measured etc. I'd like to try a Selle SMP saddle but can't find a shop locally with demos. This trying saddles can be an expensive prospect! Even though one of my LBS's is designated as an SMP demo shop, they told me they gave up because people don't return them. But they have a satisfaction guarantee. Try it or return it but pay first.
I feel funny making them special order a saddle then returning it. <shrug>

Right now I am demoing a Fabric Shallow line from a local shop that has actual demo saddles. This "might" be the one. Did 40 on it last week and 12 last night. It feels to my butt like my B17 does only has a large cutout channel. I am doing 50 on Saturday, if it passes I will purchase it.
Old 09-21-18, 03:38 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hally
I disagree with much of what people posted here about butt pain and it having to do with getting conditioned. Either the saddle hits in the right spot or it does not. No amount of breaking it or your buttocks in is going to change that.

I can ride a steel bleacher seat on my mtb's with no issue but on the road bike, if it's too soft I get soft tissue chafing and numbness. If it's too hard it hurts my sit bones. I mean severe pain like bone poking through skin.
Maybe mine are unusually sharp. It is for sure not for lack of my own padding.
I have tried probably 20 saddles over the last 12 years. My Brooks B17 which has zero padding felt fine on my butt. But......alas it bothered heck out of the soft tissue. Since I can'f find one to demo, trying the model with the cutout is not going to happen. I tried Rivet, I tried the Brooks Cadmium OUCH they both killed my bones. I could go down the list, been to 4 or 5 shops and been measured etc. I'd like to try a Selle SMP saddle but can't find a shop locally with demos. This trying saddles can be an expensive prospect! Even though one of my LBS's is designated as an SMP demo shop, they told me they gave up because people don't return them. But they have a satisfaction guarantee. Try it or return it but pay first.
I feel funny making them special order a saddle then returning it. <shrug>

Right now I am demoing a Fabric Shallow line from a local shop that has actual demo saddles. This "might" be the one. Did 40 on it last week and 12 last night. It feels to my butt like my B17 does only has a large cutout channel. I am doing 50 on Saturday, if it passes I will purchase it.
Using Amazon Prime I ordered 4 saddles that looked promising. Being very careful not to damage them or the packaging I tried them all. I sent back 3 of them and got full credit. And believe it or not the 1 I kept was the Selle SMP.
Old 09-21-18, 06:06 PM
hally

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
Using Amazon Prime I ordered 4 saddles that looked promising. Being very careful not to damage them or the packaging I tried them all. I sent back 3 of them and got full credit. And believe it or not the 1 I kept was the Selle SMP.
Which model did you get and what was your comfort issue? I'd like to try one but if this last ride works I will settle for now.
Old 09-21-18, 07:12 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hally
Which model did you get and what was your comfort issue? I'd like to try one but if this last ride works I will settle for now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003R4MHBG?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

This is the one. I ride a hybrid with a more upright position. This TRK model is for that touring posture. They have several for every type of riding.
Old 09-24-18, 02:43 AM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’ve been a fan of the Brooks b17 and now Flyer Special for several years (on a Brompton and a Rivendell Hillborne). However, due to a shoulder injury, I converted the Hillborne to more upright handlebars essentially putting me in a more upright position like you are riding. I found the b17 started to hurt my sitbones. The best seat I found to correct the problem was the Brooks b67. Between the rear springs providing a little suspension and the suspended and wider leather saddle, it was the most comfortable I tried. I ended up buying the Flyer Special because I knew I was going back to lower bars once the shoulder healed. I still found that the added springs provided more comfort than the b17 with the upright bars.

Good luck.
John
Old 09-29-18, 03:07 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Well... finally bit the bullet and went for a Brooks B-67. I have to say I'm amazed at how my derriere took to it. First ride was ten miles (a lot for these old bones) and, although it first felt like I was sitting on a slab of plywood, as I got used to it I really enjoyed it. If it's this comfortable, first ride, I can't imagine how well it will feel when it eventually becomes "broken in." So... my saddle search is over. Anyone want to purchase five or six miscellaneous saddles?

BUT... it may not get too much use now. Here's a link to my latest (N+1) purchase...

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...road-bike.html
Old 09-29-18, 04:59 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Glad you found the right saddle. I used a Brooks Team Pro for decades on my road bike. But... after riding a mountain bike for a while, I swapped it out for a mountain bike saddle. I know people have their own preferences, but finding a saddle that is comfortable on a hardtail is another level.

John
Old 10-04-18, 01:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
The B67 is a great idea. I have lots of bikes, and the ones I ride the most have Brooks saddles on them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-04-18, 06:09 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
As I approach senior (age) rider status I'll consider using Depends. May serve multiple purposes.....
Old 10-05-18, 09:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
As I approach senior (age) rider status I'll consider using Depends. May serve multiple purposes.....
I sometimes wear underpants liners when I'm going to be out for a while. They have separate types for men and women, though I can't tell them apart.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-05-18, 05:23 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Selle Anatomica....no break in, I own (5).
Old 10-05-18, 06:11 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I just changed to Selle SMP after trying many other options through the years, and am very happy with it. CC is having a sale on some ot these now. Got my Forma for 40% off.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en

Old 10-05-18, 09:01 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Originally Posted by canyoneagle
I just changed to Selle SMP after trying many other options through the years, and am very happy with it. CC is having a sale on some ot these now. Got my Forma for 40% off.

Who is "CC?" I couldn't find anyone with 40% off a Selle SMP.
Old 10-05-18, 10:15 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Originally Posted by DrDyno
Who is "CC?" I couldn't find anyone with 40% off a Selle SMP.
Competetive Cyclist

Here's the one I got. No padding, but extremely comfy for me
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...saddle-sll000p
Old 10-06-18, 10:48 AM
DrDyno

Originally Posted by canyoneagle

Thanks, CanyonEagle! I checked out your link, several posts above. I think there's something wrong with their math... no?

Old 10-06-18, 11:58 AM
canyoneagle

Originally Posted by DrDyno
Thanks, CanyonEagle! I checked out your link, several posts above. I think there's something wrong with their math... no?

They show retail as $270 on that saddle. Pretty good price.
This particular one is not padded - not everyone's cup of tea, but this is the most comfortable saddle I've owned.