Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New route from San Francisco east without using ferry, via Richmond-San Rafael bridge

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New route from San Francisco east without using ferry, via Richmond-San Rafael bridge

Old 12-27-19, 03:29 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

The protected bike lane on the Richmond-San Rafael bridge opened last month, just north of San Francisco. My wife and I tried it this last weekend on the tandem, and it's great!
That means:
-You can start an overland tour without riding a ferry or taking an out-of-the-way route.
-You can do the fun 3-bridge-loop day we did (SF--Golden Gate Bridge--Richmond Bridge--Bay Bridge--Treasure Island), 50-60 miles if you use the nooks and crannies of the Bay Trail.
Until now, the first leg on a tour eastward from San Francisco was hard to do purely overland. You either took a giant detour north or south, or took the Vallejo ferry, as the ACA Western Express route has you doing (a lovely ferry ride!)
Now, you can start by crossing the Golden Gate Bridge northward, via Sausalito, Marin bike trail, bike lane along 101, Larkspur, ride around San Quentin prison, cross the Richmond Bridge.
Then either: Head over the Carquinez bridge to Vallejo and pick up the Western Express route; or head from Richmond east over the hills to Antioch and across the Route 160 bridge, perhaps to Brannan Island State Park, which has a bike-hike campground--that would be about 70 miles from the south end of GG bridge.
Please use the Richmond Bridge bike lane early and often, as some pro-auto forces are lobbying to get it closed early and turned into a third car lane!
Old 12-27-19, 05:57 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
But riding from the Golden Gate Bridge to the ferry terminal is so nice.
And then the ferry ride simply can't be beat.
Not to mention the Carquinez Scenic Drive - which is bike/ped only in the middle section.
Old 12-27-19, 09:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
In 2014 when we finished our Pacific Coast tour in San Fransisco at the Fishermans Wharf HI Hostel, we rode the shuttle bus from a bus stop on Fishermans Wharf to the Amtrak station in Emeryville (spell?). Is there no longer a bus option across the Bay Bridge like we took?

Amazing how few people you see on Fishermans Wharf at 5am.

Our bikes in the bike rack on the front of the bus going across the bridge.

I am not saying that the bus was a better option than you took, but it was another option at that time.
Old 12-28-19, 11:17 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Whenever I visit my brother in SF I borrow his bike for several days of solo riding. This will be my exact route next time. Thank you!
Old 12-28-19, 08:23 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
Whenever I visit my brother in SF I borrow his bike for several days of solo riding. This will be my exact route next time. Thank you!
If you do the 3-bridge loop and aren't in a hurry, I recommend sticking tight to the waterfront on the Bay Trail in the East Bay instead of the more-direct routes RWGPS or Google Maps will recommend--for example, loop around the Rosie The Riveter museum. Once in Treasure Island, you can put your bike on a bus rack back to SF or better yet, bike back down the Bay Bridge to Jack London Square in Oakland and take the Ferry back to SF (recommended! There's a nice bar right by the ferry landing if you get there too early.)
Old 12-28-19, 08:50 PM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am not saying that the bus was a better option than you took, but it was another option at that time.
Nice pix!
There are lots of options for getting a single bike across the SF Bay if you're just trying to get your bike across and don't mind not riding it!
-Put it on bus rack, as you did (won't work for tandem)
-Bay Bridge Bike Shuttle ($1, I think, and during commute hours; not sure about tandems)
-Take it on BART (we've taken our tandem on, no problem)
-Aboard Ferries to Oakland, Alameda, Richmond, Vallejo, etc. (tandem OK)
The point here is that if you want to RIDE your bike, whether at the beginning of a tour or on a local ride, you can now do that via the Richmond Bridge.
And did I mention? Please use the Richmond Bridge bike lane so the car drivers don't take it away from us!