Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I don't get gravel bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I don't get gravel bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 08:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Sooooo, what about caliche? Do the bike companies need to develop a caliche specific bike? Caliche sounds so much cooler than cross or gravel. Hmmmm.
Old 02-27-20, 01:48 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
You do not need a gravel bike. You already have a bike that rides on gravel.
NEED....... need has nothing to do with it,lol, I want one. How many of us buy a new bike out of actual NEED?
Old 02-28-20, 03:44 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad991
NEED....... need has nothing to do with it,lol, I want one. How many of us buy a new bike out of actual NEED?
Right of course. But to answer the OP's question, no. I'm frustrated that the industry makes such a division between a CX and "Gravel" bike and the whole category name of "Gravel" irks me. Worse than the marketing of Gravel bikes is that so many on these forums seem to think that CX bikes are no good on gravel.

Long live the CX bike.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 02-28-20, 11:24 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Right of course. But to answer the OP's question, no. I'm frustrated that the industry makes such a division between a CX and "Gravel" bike and the whole category name of "Gravel" irks me. Worse than the marketing of Gravel bikes is that so many on these forums seem to think that CX bikes are no good on gravel.

Long live the CX bike.
A CX bike is basically a criterium bike made for dirt thus traditionally have aggressive handling, limited tire clearance, tight gearing, low stack and few braze-ons. Other than improved tire clearance from traditional rim brake race bikes they have no real features for the type of adventure riding most people are doing. People want stable predictable handling, a more comfortable position on the bike and a wide range of gearing. But hey if you want to take your CX bike on a long gravel ride or perhaps a multiday tour to each his/her own and enjoy.
Old 02-28-20, 11:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Long live the CX bike.
​​​​​​I don't think anybody thinks a CX bike isn't good on gravel. People think there's even better. CX bikes have always been considered among the most versatile, but gravel built on and improved that.

I don't love the name "gravel" either because out here it's mostly hard packed dirt, but that ship already sailed.
Old 02-28-20, 11:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​I don't love the name "gravel" either because out here it's mostly hard packed dirt, but that ship already sailed.
You've mentioned this a couple times, but I'm... still not convinced. Are you sure that it's packed dirt? From the photos that you post, it looks like primarily logging roads, and I can't imagine that dirt would be suitable for the loads and the rain that they would see. Have you ever tried chipping away at it? I would be surprised if you didn't find a mix of aggregate packed under the surface, with 1" chunks, or thereabouts.
Old 02-28-20, 01:03 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Sooooo, what about caliche? Do the bike companies need to develop a caliche specific bike? Caliche sounds so much cooler than cross or gravel. Hmmmm.
If dry, caliche is as smooth and solid as a paved road. If wet, it doesn't matter. You're getting stuck in it.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You've mentioned this a couple times, but I'm... still not convinced. Are you sure that it's packed dirt? From the photos that you post, it looks like primarily logging roads, and I can't imagine that dirt would be suitable for the loads and the rain that they would see. Have you ever tried chipping away at it? I would be surprised if you didn't find a mix of aggregate packed under the surface, with 1" chunks, or thereabouts.
From what my friends who are into this say, there are a variety of surfaces ranging from hard packed dirt to a foot thick layer of gravel. It just depends, and the different surfaces dictate the tire selection.
Old 02-28-20, 01:15 PM
Chad991

Does a 29er mountain bike not qualify anymore on dirt and gravel? Mine does pretty well.
Likes For Chad991:
Old 02-28-20, 04:06 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Does a 29er mountain bike not qualify anymore on dirt and gravel? Mine does pretty well.
They do. But who is buying a plain old MTB anymore made for dirt and gravel. They too are all gradually inching ever closer to the extreme end of enduro or a down hill actually creating a snafu where a drop bar "gravel bike" is a better bike for all day gravel and trails than most MTB anymore. Who actually pedals an MTB **UP** a hill anymore?

Last edited by u235; 02-28-20 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-28-20, 09:35 PM
Chad991

Originally Posted by u235
They do. But who is buying a plain old MTB anymore made for dirt and gravel. They too are all gradually inching ever closer to the extreme end of enduro or a down hill actually creating a snafu where a drop bar "gravel bike" is a better bike for all day gravel and trails than most MTB anymore. Who actually pedals an MTB **UP** a hill anymore?
lol, crap, I guess me....I figured off the road I was ok...not that I really dont want the colnago posted earlier in this thread...but that's just I love colnagos
Old 02-29-20, 12:31 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This may be a matter of semantics. Our gravel roads do generally contain a lot of rocky aggregate. On some of the more "major" gravel roads, the aggregate is relatively small, and the road's surface can be dominated by packed fine particles. For example, here's a photo I took on the Mountain Loop Highway in 2016:

These surfaces often suffer from potholling in low-gradient spots, and these roads sometimes develop considerable washboarding due to their high traffic. But when they're well-maintained, on a damp day they can be comparable to paved riding.

On the lesser-traveled roads, especially getting out into the large networks of logging roads, the aggregate can get much bigger. It's often created on-site, and there are many small quarries throughout the foothills for this purpose. A lot of these less-prominent roads are also double-track with a defined centerline.

For example, here's a double-track logging road that I rode two weeks ago, big aggregate embedded in hardpack:

The degree to which the aggregate is embedded in finer particles versus being loose can vary, as can the size of the aggregate, as can the degree to which it's compacted. Here's one road which the logging folks laid down a couple years before the trucks compacted it down:

That was very choppy to ride on.

Most of the gravel roads in the area are smoother than those, but you tend to see people running at least 38s on gravel bikes if they'll fit. Seattle Forrest seems happy on 33s, but I'm not sure how much he ventures onto the lower-traveled roads.

Nothing wrong with using them on gravel. But they tend to be poor on smooth and non-technical stuff.

On most of the gravel riding I do, MTBs are a solid option for rides that just go up and down, and which start and end on the rough stuff. But stretches of smooth low-gradient stuff, and especially paved roads, quickly put them at a tangible disadvantage. Even with its 2.1" tires, my gravel bike is fast enough on paved roads that I sometimes use it on spirited road rides, and I can mostly hang with pacelines of similar composition as on my traditional skinny-tire road bikes; my MTB is vastly slower in those situations.

By contrast, my gravel bike is a dumpster fire in technical situations. But roads, even rough unpaved ones, usually aren't technical.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 02-29-20, 05:08 AM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Either way, I like them. Lynskey is having a 35% off sale right now, and it is taking every bit of restraint I have to abstain from ordering a gravel frame.
Have you been following them long? I notice it’s 25% off now. I too am tempted. I wonder how often they run these sales?
Old 02-29-20, 08:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
The people I know who ride "gravel bikes" use them for rides with a combination of road and dirt. A mountain bike would work but mountain bikes suck on the road.
Old 02-29-20, 10:42 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Cross Country 29r with 100mm suspension and the right 2.1 inch tires rides well on pavement and will leave your "gravel bike" behind when riding rough stuff.
I stopped riding drop bar bikes in the dirt years ago. Can't figure out why anyone would ride in the dirt with narrow drop bars. Don't ever see any motorcyclist doing this.
Old 02-29-20, 10:53 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Cross Country 29r with 100mm suspension and the right 2.1 inch tires rides well on pavement and will leave your "gravel bike" behind when riding rough stuff.
I stopped riding drop bar bikes in the dirt years ago. Can't figure out why anyone would ride in the dirt with narrow drop bars. Don't ever see any motorcyclist doing this.
However all gravel races are won on drop bar gravel bikes which is what they are built for. That said no drop bar bikes win mountain bike races including cross country events.
Old 02-29-20, 12:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
This may be a matter of semantics. Our gravel roads do generally contain a lot of rocky aggregate. On some of the more "major" gravel roads, the aggregate is relatively small, and the road's surface can be dominated by packed fine particles. For example, here's a photo I took on the Mountain Loop Highway in 2016:

These surfaces often suffer from potholling in low-gradient spots, and these roads sometimes develop considerable washboarding due to their high traffic. But when they're well-maintained, on a damp day they can be comparable to paved riding.

On the lesser-traveled roads, especially getting out into the large networks of logging roads, the aggregate can get much bigger. It's often created on-site, and there are many small quarries throughout the foothills for this purpose. A lot of these less-prominent roads are also double-track with a defined centerline.

For example, here's a double-track logging road that I rode two weeks ago, big aggregate embedded in hardpack:

The degree to which the aggregate is embedded in finer particles versus being loose can vary, as can the size of the aggregate, as can the degree to which it's compacted. Here's one road which the logging folks laid down a couple years before the trucks compacted it down:

That was very choppy to ride on.

Most of the gravel roads in the area are smoother than those, but you tend to see people running at least 38s on gravel bikes if they'll fit. Seattle Forrest seems happy on 33s, but I'm not sure how much he ventures onto the lower-traveled roads.

Nothing wrong with using them on gravel. But they tend to be poor on smooth and non-technical stuff.

On most of the gravel riding I do, MTBs are a solid option for rides that just go up and down, and which start and end on the rough stuff. But stretches of smooth low-gradient stuff, and especially paved roads, quickly put them at a tangible disadvantage. Even with its 2.1" tires, my gravel bike is fast enough on paved roads that I sometimes use it on spirited road rides, and I can mostly hang with pacelines of similar composition as on my traditional skinny-tire road bikes; my MTB is vastly slower in those situations.

By contrast, my gravel bike is a dumpster fire in technical situations. But roads, even rough unpaved ones, usually aren't technical.
I was hoping you'd chime in, I don't know the answer to @WhyFi's question, what's under the road surface. I always assumed it was more dirt, mostly clay, with some big rocks here and there.

I've ridden some roads that I know are very low traffic, in the Teanaway and outside Darrington. In all my years hiking in the T'way I've never seen a bear, and I've seen several of them on dirt roads there.

A lot of the riding I do looks like your second picture in terms of road surface. I try to avoid your third pic, I'll ride short stretches of it, but I mostly find other places to ride instead. You need bigger tires for #3 , but not for the first two.

Roads with a lot of clay get so hard in the summer they might as well be paved.

I hate washboards. Potholes are more common on the places I find to ride, a mine field of potholes everywhere.
Old 02-29-20, 01:20 PM
WhyFi

Cool. Yeah, I'd consider the first two to fall squarely within "gravel" and the last to be closer to "hell." A lot of our gravel roads end up like the first pic if given enough time, but a reddish color because it's primarily limestone; when laid down, it's chunky, but autos will crunch it down pretty quickly since limestone is sedimentary. But yeah, the top layer can give the appearance of dirt/clay, but there's chunk and structure underneath.
Old 02-29-20, 01:54 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I rather ride an MTB hardtail or an SS of some sort. More fun.
Old 02-29-20, 08:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Have you been following them long? I notice it’s 25% off now. I too am tempted. I wonder how often they run these sales?
35% through this weekend.
Old 03-01-20, 02:20 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
A CX bike is basically a criterium bike made for dirt thus traditionally have aggressive handling, limited tire clearance, tight gearing, low stack and few braze-ons. Other than improved tire clearance from traditional rim brake race bikes they have no real features for the type of adventure riding most people are doing. People want stable predictable handling, a more comfortable position on the bike and a wide range of gearing. But hey if you want to take your CX bike on a long gravel ride or perhaps a multiday tour to each his/her own and enjoy.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Heaven forbid you have a bike that turns a little bit faster i.e. "aggressive handling" and good luck to you if you ever want to ride that bike for a few hours or god forbid a few days in a row.

The N+1 sentiment is so strong here. I went from a road bike to a 'cross bike and prefer the 'cross bike to my road bike in every way, + it goes off road well. When I ride in road group rides some people are astonished that my bike can work like this. Oh, and it's 1x.

1 bike to rule them all!
Old 03-01-20, 06:58 AM
seypat

This thread is getting ridiculous.

So what do you tell a kid these days when you present him or her with that shiny new steed? "You can't ride it to the park to play with your friends because you might encounter some gravel, or dirt, or pavement. You better walk instead."

It makes you wonder how Elliot and his crew managed to get ET back so he could go home. They somehow managed and took a ride across the moon as well.
Old 03-01-20, 07:23 AM
seypat

It reminds me of back when I was a Denmaster in Cub Scouts. My den and another were going to do a ride through the neighborhood for the bicycle patch. The other Denmaster's house was the meet up point. At that time he was really into being/showing people he was a serious cyclist. More so than actually just riding his bike. A typical instagram athlete. He walks out of the house for our 1 or 2 mile cruise fully kitted up and the kids laugh him back into the house. I tell him maybe he should change into something more casual so the kids won't think they have to be kitted up as well. He refused and did the "ride" in one of his Trek/LA fanboy kits. Those kids sure had a good laugh seeing his shaved arms and legs.

Last edited by seypat; 03-01-20 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 08:20 AM
WhyFi

Lol. Y'all are putting words in our mouths and getting upset that those words leave a bad taste in yours.

I don't think that anyone that has defended the existence of gravel bikes has yet suggested that the nuanced differences are enough to warrant buying one in addition to a CX or saying that a CX is incapable of the same general tasks - people are simply pointing out why you might want one instead of the other based upon the specifics of the activity and the relative strengths brought to the table by each option.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-01-20, 08:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This thread is getting ridiculous.

So what do you tell a kid these days when you present him or her with that shiny new steed? "You can't ride it to the park to play with your friends because you might encounter some gravel, or dirt, or pavement. You better walk instead."

It makes you wonder how Elliot and his crew managed to get ET back so he could go home. They somehow managed and took a ride across the moon as well.
Way to create an argument then knock it down.
What's ridiculous is your hypothetical conversation and ET comment.

This is a hobby- some like to have a lot of toys as part of their hobby. Others dont.
Old 03-04-20, 02:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Let me start by saying that I am open to being educated. I have a very nice cyclo-cross bike. Why would I need a gravel bike? Is there a significant difference? If so, what is it? Might as well throw in a pic of my bike.
I feel there's no need to buy a "gravel bike" if you already have and are comfortable on your cross bike.

My wife and I have cross bikes we call gravel bikes. The regular cross gearing they came with wasn't good for our needs so they now have triples and 11-32 cassettes. As others have pointed out, that's a very real difference between a cross bike and a real gravel bike.

I got mine about 15 years ago for gravel riding. There was no such thing as a "Gravel Bike". I needed the clearance for larger tires than my road bike as well as rear rack and fenders. At the time I lived on a rough gravel road and needed those features for commuting. A cross frame fit my needs perfectly.

As for the geometry, the frames we have aren't super relaxed, but with the right up angled stems, etc., we're comfortable. They aren't any more aggressive than our road bikes.

The only reason I might buy a "real" gravel bike is that the newer ones have disc brakes and can accommodate larger tires. Our bikes with canti and V brakes can only get around about 35 mm tires. I'd like a 40 or so.
​​​
​​I recently installed a Shockstop
stem on my wife's bike to ease the vibrations from rough surfaces and it seems to work well. I'm going to put one on my bike. I'm also thinking of putting mild shock absorbing seatposts too. This stuff mitigates the disadvantages of being limited to the smaller tires than what I'd prefer.

But I haven't done that yet because our cross bikes are comfortable, have great gearing, and already have two sets of wheels each, one with ~35 mm treaded tires and the other with skinny road tires. We travel all around with those bikes with our travel trailer and the versatility is great. With new gravel bikes, I would want to replace all those wheels with discs and don't have a burning desire to do that.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-04-20 at 03:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.