Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Old 02-10-20, 03:03 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
^Aw man, that's just too painful to look at. I hope it can be rescued for you.
Spoke with my shop and they said being aluminum it can't be safely cold set. So it has to go back. I'll wait and see what Pelizzoli says when they respond to my email.
Old 02-11-20, 01:58 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

Bought and wrapped new tape myself. Only my second time wrapping my bars. I think it looks decent. If anyone is scared to wrap their own bars, just know practice makes perfrct. Also got new tyres last week.
Old 02-11-20, 02:07 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
Ordered a Pelizzoli Leggenda frame some months ago. Knew going in the issues people have had dealing with them and the long lead times so I was prepared. Was excited when I finally received pictures that it was completed and ready to ship .

Then it arrived and the dropouts are bent . They didn't use a brace in the dropouts and you could see the box had been crushed during shipping. Not exactly shocked but still disappointed. Not sure if it can be fixed being aluminum, will contact the local shop I use and see if anything can be done. If not I will try and send it back for a refund. C''est la vie!

Call for refund for sure! There should definitely be a brace or cover for protection on the dropouts for sure. Even if it was the shippjng's fault for the damage. There should be protection for that just in case that happens.
Likes For ryan_rides:
Old 02-12-20, 05:40 AM
Jonneh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
If anyone is scared to wrap their own bars, just know practice makes perfrct.
Is bar-wrapping fear a thing? I'm young, but also pessimistic for the world.

Your job looks great btw.
Old 02-13-20, 06:32 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by Jonneh
Is bar-wrapping fear a thing? I'm young, but also pessimistic for the world.

Your job looks great btw.
Thank you. I guess you could say that it's intimidating because it's a learned skill. Nobody wants their bars to be wrapped all wonky and what not.
Old 03-04-20, 03:32 PM
bigbowlcut

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
vintage brooks saddle and a new
chain from the coop by my house
Old 03-19-20, 01:33 AM
ryan_rides

I was in an accident Monday, March 9th. A car cut me off making a right turn. I had zero time to react. Chipped a few of my front teeth and my body is still sore. Thank god I always where a helmet. My steerer tube is bent and my Look road pedals broke. That’s all the damage and honestly it could have been much worse. I’m thankful that my neck didn’t break and I’m not paralyzed. I switched my pedals to BMX pedals and straps.
Old 03-19-20, 04:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,109 Times in 1,643 Posts
Did the driver stop? Did he/she have insurance? If so you better milk the **** out of that! The damage to your teeth and property could be worth 5 figures IMO. You shouldn't post any information here (or anywhere publicly) but I would recommend getting some advice on this. I've been told that many insurance companies will pay up to $10k without even needing legal representation from you just to have you sign the release paper work and get out of their hair.

I also always, always get a police report, so there's record. No intention of pressing charges, nothing personal, just making sure your ass is covered. I've had the privilege of having a couple "practice" rounds at this and I have a friend that is a accident attorney (and bike racer) so PM me if you need some help.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-19-20, 07:21 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by TMonk
Did the driver stop? Did he/she have insurance? If so you better milk the **** out of that! The damage to your teeth and property could be worth 5 figures IMO. You shouldn't post any information here (or anywhere publicly) but I would recommend getting some advice on this. I've been told that many insurance companies will pay up to $10k without even needing legal representation from you just to have you sign the release paper work and get out of their hair.

I also always, always get a police report, so there's record. No intention of pressing charges, nothing personal, just making sure your ass is covered. I've had the privilege of having a couple "practice" rounds at this and I have a friend that is a accident attorney (and bike racer) so PM me if you need some help.
The driver actually did stop and yelled at me while I was on the ground with my face busted open. I was taken away in a stretcher. Witnesses saw everything. I have the police report. I intend to get every penny that I can. I've been hit too many times. This guy cut me off at 4pm on a sunny day. He had no excuse. I just, today, had the first attorney that I was recommended to tell me that he will not represent me. I think it's because I didn't have more serious injuries; which is lame. I am thankful that I didn't have any broken bones though. I already filed a claim against his insurance. I'm just praying all this works out well in my favor. I could really use it. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow morning to get some work done. wish me luck!
Likes For ryan_rides:
Old 03-19-20, 08:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,109 Times in 1,643 Posts
Good luck man, hopefully it's not too messy and hopefully you get taken care of.
Old 03-20-20, 11:29 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
yikes, my teeth started to tingle while reading your post, that is one of my biggest fears. hope it all works out for the best. like others have already said insurance companies will usually offer additional compensation for pain and suffering in an attempt to settle.
Old 03-22-20, 06:57 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
The driver actually did stop and yelled at me while I was on the ground with my face busted open. I was taken away in a stretcher. Witnesses saw everything. I have the police report. I intend to get every penny that I can. I've been hit too many times. This guy cut me off at 4pm on a sunny day. He had no excuse. I just, today, had the first attorney that I was recommended to tell me that he will not represent me. I think it's because I didn't have more serious injuries; which is lame. I am thankful that I didn't have any broken bones though. I already filed a claim against his insurance. I'm just praying all this works out well in my favor. I could really use it. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow morning to get some work done. wish me luck!
Please get a lawyer. I was hit two years ago and the insurance company was not my friend. Call Joe Piscatello at https://www.piscitellolaw.com/ he does this all the time and got my bike fixed, replaced my gear, and
$2500 for road rash. This is after I told the police that I did not signal. Joe knows what he is doing and will help make you whole.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 03-23-20, 05:58 AM
vailskier3

Bikes: 2011 GT Series 2 SRAM Apex, 1980's Bianchi Rekord 841, 1954 Schwinn Twinn

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
just got me a cross top brake that i will hopefully use as the main brake.
Old 03-23-20, 01:09 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
My professional photography skills on display again. Since I bought my Wabi my Swobo has been ignored. I still love her and will keep her forever. I got some hammered aluminum fenders from Handsome Cycles, some p-clips from Lowe's and now I have a rain bike. I'll be getting some Pasela's for it, they'll be good rain tires.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 03-23-20, 04:23 PM
LNKFixed
Fixed on the plains.

Bikes: 2019 Leader 721, 2020 Bombtrack Hook EXT

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Bought a set of Velocity Deep V's laced to Origin8 track hubs by Velomine. Just kinda waiting to have the motivation to rotafix my cog off my current wheelset and onto the new ones, something about this crappy end of March weather has not really had me that jazzed on working on my bike.
Old 03-25-20, 06:28 AM
Lazyass

Man, someone has this mint '09 Motobecane Messenger on CL for only $185. Double butted frame, triple butted fork and the wheels have double butted spokes. But it's about 2 hours away in Charlotte and they have a bunch of virus cases. There's none where I live. I don't know what to do. I'm not worried about myself but I wouldn't want to bring that virus back here. Damn.

Old 03-25-20, 06:12 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by TMonk
Good luck man, hopefully it's not too messy and hopefully you get taken care of.
Originally Posted by bmwjoe
Please get a lawyer. I was hit two years ago and the insurance company was not my friend. Call Joe Piscatello at https://www.piscitellolaw.com/ he does this all the time and got my bike fixed, replaced my gear, and
$2500 for road rash. This is after I told the police that I did not signal. Joe knows what he is doing and will help make you whole.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Joe, I called Joe Piscitello and he wanted me to thank you for recommending him to me. I also wanted to thank you as well. You too TMonk. He seems like a good guy. I left a message on his phone about an hour ago and he called me back personally. Nice guy. Hoping all this works out well. Stay safe guys!
Old 03-25-20, 07:34 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Man, someone has this mint '09 Motobecane Messenger on CL for only $185. Double butted frame, triple butted fork and the wheels have double butted spokes. But it's about 2 hours away in Charlotte and they have a bunch of virus cases. There's none where I live. I don't know what to do. I'm not worried about myself but I wouldn't want to bring that virus back here. Damn.

That bike was around $300-350 new as I recall, so while it's a pretty decent deal, I don't know if it's worth a 2 hour drive and possible pandemic exposure/spreading.
Old 03-26-20, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts

I wouldn't take the risk. It is not an actual Motobecane of France. If that were a mint Grand Jubilee for $185 it would be well worth it but a bikes direct bike that was a little over $300 new isn't worth nearly that much. Don't believe their hype of "on sale from 900 dollars" because it is never not on "sale". It is trickery to make you think the generic components on generic steel frame is worth more than it is.

Stay safe and stay home.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-27-20, 04:01 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I wouldn't take the risk. It is not an actual Motobecane of France. If that were a mint Grand Jubilee for $185 it would be well worth it but a bikes direct bike that was a little over $300 new isn't worth nearly that much. Don't believe their hype of "on sale from 900 dollars" because it is never not on "sale". It is trickery to make you think the generic components on generic steel frame is worth more than it is.

Stay safe and stay home.
I know it's not a real Motobecane lol. I don't care about the original price (which was 11 years ago), I care about the quality of the frameset and a double butted frame and triple butted fork is nice. Not to mention double butted spokes. Buy a $350 bike today and it will probably be a cheap hi-ten frame.

But alas, that bike is sold now....
Old 03-28-20, 04:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I know it's not a real Motobecane lol. I don't care about the original price (which was 11 years ago), I care about the quality of the frameset and a double butted frame and triple butted fork is nice. Not to mention double butted spokes. Buy a $350 bike today and it will probably be a cheap hi-ten frame.

But alas, that bike is sold now....
It is probably a pretty generic 4130 chromoly frame and fork. Certainly a step up from hi-ten but nothing that exciting. You could get the same basic bike on BD right now with that same "triple butted" fork and all the same marketing "the wheelset alone is worth 10 billion dollars", "same Sugino crankset that was used in real keirin events", " ultra precision NASA bearings". Ok those were slightly exaggerated but that is their marketing style. Instead of just having their own name and branding and just saying this is a decent budget bike you can only purchase online and the price is constant but pretty low they have to fake it to make it.

Get yourself a nice frame and build it up how you want It or get one of the many BD single speed bikes that exist which are probably pretty similar if not almost the same.
Old 03-28-20, 08:12 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 04-05-20, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I didn't buy anything but I sold a Shimano XT 9 speed shifter and a Chris King Hub which for me is a big deal as I don't tend to sell stuff. Am planning on buying a bunch of stuff in the very near future.
Old 04-06-20, 03:15 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is probably a pretty generic.....
So you don't really know yourself lol
Old 04-06-20, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

So you don't really know yourself lol
Not 100% no but I would doubt it was anything but otherwise there would be a sticker from Tange or Reynolds or Columbus or Ishtawa or True Temper, one of the major tubing manufacturers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.