Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kestrel CSX Mountain Bike - ????

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 10:35 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts

I am looking to get a bike for my son and one of the guys at my LBS has this one. He said he completely overhauled it. From pictures it all looks good. Is there anything I should know about it before I go look at it?

Last edited by Essthreetee; 03-29-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 11:13 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Back in the day it was hawt stuff! I purchased a white CS-X probably around 1990. Tricked out with Suntour XC-Pro, Ritchey crank, Sampson Ti bb, Aerosport carbon bar, Bullseye hubs, Ti freewheel, Panaracer Smokes and Dart, etc.. Came stock with a steel fork but shortly after I changed it out to Specialized Future shock / air-oil, played with that, mods- low stiction, Ti steerer. SRP fasteners.. Lol

Anyways, weekend warrior for a few years on it. Ridden hard, put away wet and repeat. Crashed and bruised. Bike never let me down and was robust. Total different carbon design vs today. The CS-X was a first for OCLV. Brent Trimble design.

Obviously look it over closely but you may even see spider cracks in the thick paint to even large chips. I wouldn't be afraid of them. Seriously, these are tough frames.

I would pay the price if in the market and wanted something ATB unique vintage.

Mine was stolen and I still miss it today.
Old 03-29-20, 03:16 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Well. I picked it up today. Ended up trading him some wheel sets and stuff for it. It is in great condition, I think it is all original except for the new tires. Regardless, it will make the perfect addition to my stable. It will give my son something to ride and when that is over, it will give me something (else) to ride.

I got it home and changed the saddle and added bottle cages. The saddle that was on it was a Serfas Lola...tiny thing.

Last edited by Essthreetee; 03-29-20 at 06:06 PM.