Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM cassettes that completely disassemble

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-28-20, 04:13 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

I have a SRAM PC 950 on an older 2007 bike. The cassette completely disassembles, as in you can remove each cog individually. Each cog and spacer has a hole that slides into an alignment pin that inserts into the rear of the big cog. I love it because you can clean each cog by hand. I also saw a used PC 970 on ebay that is the same but I'm not sure how new it is. One of mine has a broken tooth and unfortunately it doesn't look like you can buy individual cogs. It would be nice because you could customize your cassette to the exact gearing you want like older high end freewheels were. Not sure why no one makes cassettes like that. They probably want to scam you and make you buy a whole new cassette when you have one broken tooth lol

My question is are the new 9sp casettes still like that, and what about their 10 and 11sp cassettes? Are they the same?

Last edited by Lazyass; 04-28-20 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-28-20, 04:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Look how clean it is. You can buff and polish each cog if you desire and it takes less time and less mess than trying to clean a cassette with a brush.

Old 04-28-20, 04:48 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Are you certain that the "broken" tooth is not just a truncated tooth, shaped that way to aid in shifting? Like the ones at 3 and 9 o'clock on the largest cog?
Old 04-28-20, 07:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
BITD, when cogs were "flat", 5 or 6-speed were the norm, shifting was only friction and "cog boards" were available in any good bike shop, you could indeed customize a freewheel. However the creation of shaped teeth with specific shifting ramps that made indexing reliable also meant cog sets had to be used in a specific order. Mix-and-match no longer works well and the ability to improvise cassettes went away.
Old 04-28-20, 08:48 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Better not ride the bike! It'll get dirty again.
I have taken apart those SRAM cassettes..... I buy 2 different 8 speed cassettes and mix a couple of cogs to get the gears I want.
Don't notice any shifting problems.
I leave the cassette on the freehub and wipe it down. No point in getting it sanitary ... more dirt is on the way.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-28-20, 12:07 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
BITD, when cogs were "flat", 5 or 6-speed were the norm, shifting was only friction and "cog boards" were available in any good bike shop, you could indeed customize a freewheel. However the creation of shaped teeth with specific shifting ramps that made indexing reliable also meant cog sets had to be used in a specific order. Mix-and-match no longer works well and the ability to improvise cassettes went away.
Hmmmm...can’t say I completely agree. I have custom cassettes on almost every bike I own, they are all HG style, some of them even mix SRAM and Shimano cogs. They shift just fine, and I’m pretty picky about shift quality. For example, on one bike I have a 12-14-16-17-18-19-21-23-28; nice tight corncob in the middle for fast flats and rollers, with downhill gears at one end and moderate climbers on the other. Paired with a compact 50/34 crankset, it works really well.

On the other hand, none of those bikes use STI’s, all of them are indexed down tube shifted. Can’t speak to whether they would shift as well with them newfangled doodads.
Old 04-29-20, 06:57 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I have a SRAM PC 950 on an older 2007 bike. The cassette completely disassembles, as in you can remove each cog individually. Each cog and spacer has a hole that slides into an alignment pin that inserts into the rear of the big cog. I love it because you can clean each cog by hand. I also saw a used PC 970 on ebay that is the same but I'm not sure how new it is. One of mine has a broken tooth and unfortunately it doesn't look like you can buy individual cogs. It would be nice because you could customize your cassette to the exact gearing you want like older high end freewheels were. Not sure why no one makes cassettes like that. They probably want to scam you and make you buy a whole new cassette when you have one broken tooth lol

My question is are the new 9sp casettes still like that, and what about their 10 and 11sp cassettes? Are they the same?

The 8 sp 850 is also like that. I make my own ratio 7 and 8 sp cassettes out of them.

Another advantage of these cogs over shimano ones is the lighter weight, they have way less material in the larger cogs.

For 9+ speeds, I do prefer the spidered cassettes for lighter weight.

Old 04-30-20, 12:10 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Better not ride the bike! It'll get dirty again.
I have taken apart those SRAM cassettes..... I buy 2 different 8 speed cassettes and mix a couple of cogs to get the gears I want.
Don't notice any shifting problems.
I leave the cassette on the freehub and wipe it down. No point in getting it sanitary ... more dirt is on the way.

I've done that with 2 SRAM 8sp cassettes. No shifting issues with mix & match.
Old 04-30-20, 02:58 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You could do it with cassettes up to 8 sp. They shift well enough.
Old 04-30-20, 03:28 PM
TrueEarl
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
You could do it with cassettes up to 8 sp. They shift well enough.
+++agree
Old 05-01-20, 11:27 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Some of the Sunrace and innominata brands out of Taiwan in 8-9 spds also disassemble in that fashion and
are spline compatible with SRAM/Shimano. I need these when I do rebuilds on my 6spd mid drive recumbent
every few years. FWIW I believe another reason besides 'weight reduction" for carrier mount large cogs in
triplets and doublets is to reduce manufacturing labor costs when assembling bikes. Seconds add up over
tens of thousands of bikes/wheels. I suspect SRAM electric shift groups would boot Shimano out of the
market if they were priced similarly and had as broad a range as they are so much less labor intensive to install
than Shimano.
Old 05-01-20, 11:52 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Better cassettes have the larger cogs on spiders. Saves weight and doesn't dig into the HG hubbody.

You must like xD cassettes that are literally one piece.

Normally you ride in many cogs. The smaller ones usually wear and skip first. But all the other ones will be worn as well. Just makes no sense to replace them one by one. My guess you also don't replace the chain before it breaks and then only the broken link? Chain manufacturers are also scamming you - instead of selling single links they force an entire chain on you....😁