Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

‘01 Lemond Zurich- did I pay too much?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 05-15-20, 09:44 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts

I found this Zurich in my size (55cm) in what I thought was good condition and paid $400 for it.

Very good paint, no frame rust, very light rust on chain and cables. Apparently had been in storage since almost new after less than a years use.

From what I can tell it is in pretty much original condition. Currently set up with triple crankset, but also came with all parts necessary to convert to a double (front & rear derailleurs, chain, crankset and bb).

Figured I could put new brake pads, tubes and tires on it and get my LBS to give it a tuneup and I should be in business. LBS manager told me that I overpaid by $150, the wheels are crap and need to be replaced, stem is dangerous bc only 2 bolts holding cap on, all cables need to be replaced, as well as the chain and cassette and that I should buy tools and do it myself rather than pay them to do it.

I’ve changed tires, tubes and pads before and that is about it. Wondering if I’ve made a mistake here...

Am I better off passing this on? Is there anything else I might find if I start digging in? To be honest, I am not certain I want to go bombing down hills on a bike I’ve put together.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-15-20, 10:30 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
$400-$450 is the going rate for lemond zurich frames from that era. it's a smooth ride and worth the build. lbs mgr thinking it would be $250-$300 is smoking the good stuff apparently.
no frame rust and if the frame/paint is in good shape, along with extra parts...sounds like you got a deal. if you don't feel like building it up or want to flip it, shouldn't have any issues.
if it were a 58, 59 or 60cm, i'd say send it to me. i had a lesser frame (buenos aires 2002) with full shimano ultegra from lemond during that era and it was super stable (especially descending)
and a great ride. never felt comfy riding a bike no hands for long stretches (and haven't since) until i owned that lemond buenos aires. super underrated. still using some of those ultegra parts.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-15-20 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-16-20, 06:11 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
You did fine...an '01 Zurich is a very nice ride. I'd be surprised if all the parts you mention (that the LBS said need to be replaced..after all that's where they make their money) really need to be replaced.

If you'd like to pass it on..if you're anywhere close to me..I'd take it.

edit..oh..and if the LBS mgr thinks he can buy a Zurich in decent shape for $250.. I'd like to see him do it..that's unicorn territory.
Old 05-16-20, 06:43 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
19 year old bike is going to require significant maintenance, its how it works. Best to do it yourself, with youtube and the internet, you should be able to do fine. $250 Zurich would be a very good find.
Old 05-16-20, 07:45 AM
force10

Okay. Thanks. I feel better now.

as far as the build/refurb, I am going to need some hand holding and advice. I assume there is a better subforum for that? I'm comfortable searching YouTube for how-to but it would be great if anyone knows of a refurb/build thread. I'm not even certain what to look for as far as some of the replacement parts...

I guess some photos would help but I'm new here and can't post any yet.

Finally, I should note that lbs was not trying to take my money - I was hoping to have them do it and they kinda sent me on my way. I guess it would be pretty $$$ to have them do the deferred maintenance required?
Old 05-16-20, 09:29 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 184 Posts
Yes, if you're trying to save money, don't have the LBS do anything just yet.

Under normal circumstances, I'd recommend going to a co-op or finding a friend who can help you through the process without doing it for you. That's a little problematic today, but if you know someone who can show you in person, that's the best way to learn, and that's where I'd start, taking all necessary precautions.
Old 05-16-20, 06:11 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by force10

as far as the build/refurb, I am going to need some hand holding and advice. I assume there is a better subforum for that? I'm comfortable searching YouTube for how-to but it would be great if anyone knows of a refurb/build thread. I'm not even certain what to look for as far as some of the replacement parts...

Finally, I should note that lbs was not trying to take my money - I was hoping to have them do it and they kinda sent me on my way. I guess it would be pretty $$$ to have them do the deferred maintenance required?
Every LBS is different. I had one tell me that ANY bike over five years old was obsolete, and not worth fixing. Since my newest bike is 30 years old, I left and haven't been back.

And some do just the opposite. To justify $$ service, they will greatly INFLATE the value of your bike. So it can go either way. Regardless, its just one opinion. They are welcome to theirs and I am welcome to mine.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 05-16-20, 08:46 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Why in the name of all that's holy do we have no pictures yet**********???? At least some before shots...😃
Old 05-17-20, 08:34 AM
force10

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Yes, if you're trying to save money, don't have the LBS do anything just yet.

Under normal circumstances, I'd recommend going to a co-op or finding a friend who can help you through the process without doing it for you. That's a little problematic today, but if you know someone who can show you in person, that's the best way to learn, and that's where I'd start, taking all necessary precautions.
I agree having someone to show me would be ideal. Unfortunately, the folks i ride with are like me - have kids and struggle just to find time to ride.

I'm newish to the area where i love and don't know of a co-op. There was one in Philadelphia where i used to live... In any event current circumstances indeed complicate matters. The LBS is backed up for over three weeks in maintenance in part bc everyone has decided to ride bikes all of a sudden.
Old 05-17-20, 08:36 AM
force10

Originally Posted by Chad991
Why in the name of all that's holy do we have no pictures yet**********???? At least some before shots...😃
I'll be happy to as soon as I have enough posts. 👍
Old 05-17-20, 09:34 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
A steel frame Lemond for $400 is a fair deal
Old 05-17-20, 10:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts

Why not replace the tires/tubes and brake pads, then lube the cables and check to see that the derailleurs and brakes function adequately and the wheels are fairly true with no loose spokes, then ride the bike (google sheldon brown for questions on any of this). Replacing the parts mentioned (except wheels) is rudimentary, but will require that you procure tools (allen wrenches, crank puller, chainwhip, cassette tool, etc). Also, you'll save a bundle by purchasing the parts yourself. Can't see why the stem is unsafe unless it is aftermarket since there were thousands built that way, but check the forums.
Old 05-17-20, 10:57 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts

I’ve changed tires, tubes and pads before and that is about it. Wondering if I’ve made a mistake here...

Am I better off passing this on? Is there anything else I might find if I start digging in? To be honest, I am not certain I want to go bombing down hills on a bike I’ve put together.

Dont overthink it, its just a bike. (Saying this respectfully)

A youtube video can probably have you adjusting brakes adequately in little time. As long as the front end is not loose, just go ride it
Old 05-17-20, 02:03 PM
bradthomaspix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2000 Lemond Zurich

I picked this 2000 Zurich up a couple years ago at Ray Bourque's estate sale. He hardly rode it. It is a 9 out of ten. I paid $225 for it. For me this bike has some mystical quality. It just seems perfect. I have been offered $800 for it but turn it down. I have many collectible bikes but this is by far my favorite. It's not just another bike.
Likes For bradthomaspix:
Old 05-17-20, 02:42 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts

Wondering if I’ve made a mistake here...

You paid $400 for a nice bike that needs some standard maintenance ($150 for parts?)

If you look at 'completed listings' for 'Lemond Zurich' on ebay it looks like several people paid $200 or so more than you plus $100 shipping for a similar 853 steel Zurich.

Looks like you did ok.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

$599 + $100 shipping for this one a few days ago.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60cm-Lemond...8AAOSw6WlesZy0
Old 05-17-20, 05:08 PM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 01 Lemond Tete-De-Course, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
I think you got a decent deal, especially since you have all the spare parts to convert it to a double drivetrain. I also have a 2001 Zurich. I found mine as a frameset a few years ago. It's a very sweet riding and handling frame, as long as it's a correct fit for you. Take your time getting it tuned and adjusted, and you'll have a blast with it. Good luck.
Old 05-17-20, 06:00 PM
Sancho20

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike..
Old 05-18-20, 08:41 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Sounds like the LBS manager is trying to oversell you on a few things. Wheels may need a true if there aren't any cracks etc. Will likely need new tires/tubes. Stem is unlikely to be dangerous if it's torqued correctly.

Sounds like a lot of fearmongering to get you to buy more parts.
Old 05-22-20, 10:32 AM
force10

Originally Posted by Chad991

Looking down seat tube

Old 05-22-20, 10:40 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Those extras alone start fetching good money! I love my Buenos Aires, great bike.
Enjoy the ride.
Old 05-22-20, 12:33 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts

Looking down seat tube

that is a really nice looking bike!!!
Likes For Chad991:
Old 05-30-20, 09:30 AM
Crazier Dave

Bikes: Punch Minstrel Leader, Raleigh Gran Prix, 1985 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes it is a really nice looking bike. Looks like a great deal to me!

Dave
Likes For Crazier Dave:
Old 01-03-21, 12:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Just picked up the same one. Nice.
Old 01-03-21, 06:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
$400 is a reasonable price for all that. Be good. Have fun.
Old 01-03-21, 06:35 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
I found this Zurich in my size (55cm) in what I thought was good condition and paid $400 for it.

Very good paint, no frame rust, very light rust on chain and cables. Apparently had been in storage since almost new after less than a years use.

From what I can tell it is in pretty much original condition. Currently set up with triple crankset, but also came with all parts necessary to convert to a double (front & rear derailleurs, chain, crankset and bb).

Figured I could put new brake pads, tubes and tires on it and get my LBS to give it a tuneup and I should be in business. LBS manager told me that I overpaid by $150, the wheels are crap and need to be replaced, stem is dangerous bc only 2 bolts holding cap on, all cables need to be replaced, as well as the chain and cassette and that I should buy tools and do it myself rather than pay them to do it.

Good deal; in NY metro I'd call it a bargain in described condition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.