Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedals - flat pedals for road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedals - flat pedals for road bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 09:18 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I have a MTB with Spank pinned platform pedals and a hybrid with Wellgo pinned platforms. My roadbike had SPD-SL pedals before I recently changed to double sided SPD. I prefer the SPD-SL pedals but they are inconvenient when doing a lot of stoplight to stoplight through town. Platforms are convenient but that is their only redeeming quality. Being clipped is far superior to platforms if you can remain clipped in. I have even considered putting SPD on my MTB even though I do a lot of dabbing in tight maneuvers sometimes.
Old 05-17-20, 04:26 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
If you want to go with flats, I would ask in MTB forums as to good pedal recs. I have a set of Chromag Syth pedals that I like. But there are many, many to choose from.
Anything you would recommend by Shimano or Crank Bros, or anything specific l should look for, other than pins?

I need to fix up my single speed bike, and wanted to have platforms on it. I have yet to find platforms that are decent to ride on, but am open to trying out options that might work better.
Old 05-17-20, 05:58 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Anything you would recommend by Shimano or Crank Bros, or anything specific l should look for, other than pins?

I need to fix up my single speed bike, and wanted to have platforms on it. I have yet to find platforms that are decent to ride on, but am open to trying out options that might work better.
Find a pedal that has shallow pins. Most pinned pedals have (too) tall pins that dig on the foot after a while. And get one that is even and flat or slightly concave. Like the XT flats, for instance.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 05-17-20, 06:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

I have never tried Shimano flat pedals. Crank Bros Stamp are pretty popular. They come in a lot of different versions. I have not tried them.

The other part that is just as important are the shoes. I think a big part of the performance difference a lot of people experience between clipless and flats is the stiffness of the soles. Most shoes made for clipless use have pretty stiff soles compared to sneakers and even hiking shoes (especially in the front half of the shoe).

If you are going to ride with softer soled shoes, then the size of the pedal makes a difference. Mo bigger = Mo better.... at least until you start whacking it on things, but I see that as less of a danger on the road, anyway.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-17-20, 06:35 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
There are two sided pedals

Originally Posted by hydrationnation
Guys, I was done with my desicion to go with the flat pedals. Now, you got me thinking again.
One is platform the other spd. The shimano version is just ok as the platform side is rather small.
Old 05-17-20, 10:42 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Part of the reason many people think flats are no good for road biking is that they have never tried GOOD flat pedals and shoes. They’ve ridden some standard issue pedal ( came free with the bike or on some rental or some other $29 pedal) with tennis shoes and that is what they assume flats can offer.
I have ridden with clipless pedals for many years.

I tried pinned flats (MG-1’s) for the first time a couple years ago and hated them with a passion. Unless you maintain downward pressure all the time, your foot comes right off the pedal. For somebody used to clipless, this is a weird and uncomfortable situation, especially at high speed.

On the other hand, I LOVE vintage road pedals with toe clips, done loosely for easy entry and exit. I can pull up with the trailing foot without losing the pedal, while riding in casual shoes. IMO the best pedals for this are single sided, with the little pointed flipper nub. Not quills, not double sided flats. Something like MKS GR-9/10.
Old 05-19-20, 08:25 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
On the other hand, I LOVE vintage road pedals with toe clips, done loosely for easy entry and exit. I can pull up with the trailing foot without losing the pedal, while riding in casual shoes. IMO the best pedals for this are single sided, with the little pointed flipper nub. Not quills, not double sided flats. Something like MKS GR-9/10.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way, After riding for years with toe clips, I have been very hesitant to go clipless. On my flatbar Cannondale Quick, I have flat pedals. On my Bianchi Infinito I use toe clips.

I have been tempted to go with clipless on both bikes. If I do, I will probably go with the mountain style clips for ease of getting out of the pedals, as I do a lot of urban riding.
Old 05-19-20, 08:50 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

I cant quantify it but my pedalling feels more efficient when clipped in. I have ridden road bikes with platform pedals (rentals when holiday) and it isnt close to the same thing, especially when pedaling at intensity.

The fact that there is near-unanimity re riding clipless should be telling.
I 'think' I can tell the difference between riding the platform pedals on my Cannondale and my toe clip pedals on my Bianchi. I am about 90% sure I am going to order the Shimano PD-M9120 and change over both bikes to that style.
Old 05-19-20, 09:12 AM
hydrationnation

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrarider7
On the other hand, I LOVE vintage road pedals with toe clips, done loosely for easy entry and exit. I can pull up with the trailing foot without losing the pedal, while riding in casual shoes. IMO the best pedals for this are single sided, with the little pointed flipper nub. Not quills, not double sided flats. Something like MKS GR-9/10.
I feel the same way, After riding for years with toe clips, I have been very hesitant to go clipless. On my flatbar Cannondale Quick, I have flat pedals. On my Bianchi Infinito I use toe clips.

I have been tempted to go with clipless on both bikes. If I do, I will probably go with the mountain style clips for ease of getting out of the pedals, as I do a lot of urban riding.[/QUOTE]

Funny that you write this.
I received my new bike yesterday and to my surprise it came with toe clip pedals.
I did only a 3.5km ride yesterday. But I already feel that the toe clips point me into a clipless solution and away from flats.
Old 05-19-20, 09:25 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I rode with flats when I was a kid, thought nothing of riding 50 miles on my JC Higgins 3-speed. When I got my first derailleur bike, of course there were no clipless, so it came with rat-traps, clips and straps. That was a revelation, all of a sudden just vast power available which I never had with flats. In traffic, I rode with one tight strap, one loose one, but tightened both down out on the road. So when I restarted biking later in life, the first thing I did was replace the pedals on the used 10-speed I bought with SPDs.

If one wants to ride in tennies, then of course clips and straps, and that works well for an errand bike. Out on the road, clipless are the way to go. Even for an errand bike, MTB shoes and clipless work fine, except for the hassle of changing shoes, which I admit is substantial.

The essential difference between clips and straps and clipless is safety, clipless being much, much safer.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 05-19-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-19-20, 10:00 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Clipless doesn't make you faster, it's mostly a safety thing. If your foot comes off the pedal at the wrong moment and hits the pavement, bad things will happen. More important, if you take some care in how you place the cleat under the shoe, it locks your knees into the correct path to prevent repetitive stress injuries.
Not saying you're wrong, as you've been riding longer than I have, but if clipless pedals don't make me faster, then I should've stayed with platform.

I fell 3-4 times the first week while practicing with clipless pedals, and I've fallen twice since then in the past 1.5 years since making the switch. I don't expect to fall much any more, as I've slowly learned my lessons, but I would've thought the fall risk to a new clipless rider is greater than the risk of repetitive stress injuries related to platform pedals.

Sure seems like I'm a tad faster with clipless, but maybe it's placebo effect.

Someone once posted here that clipless pedals are 80 percent hype, 20 percent performance. I always thought that was about right.
Old 05-19-20, 10:04 AM
ultrarider7

Originally Posted by CoogansBluff

I fell 3-4 times the first week while practicing with clipless pedals, and I've fallen twice since then in the past 1.5 years since making the switch. I don't expect to fall much any more, as I've slowly learned my lessons, but I would've thought the fall risk to a new clipless rider is greater than the risk of repetitive stress injuries related to platform pedals.

One of the big reasons I have delayed getting into the clipless family. At this age, I would prefer not to fall any more than absolutely necessary! I know people worry about toe clips, but that's what I am used to, and frankly it's been years since the last time I felt like I was going to fall due to not getting out of the clip in time.
Likes For ultrarider7:
Old 05-19-20, 10:17 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
BMX pedals are platform with small screws that act as spikes so there is no slippage. I have them on my road bike, mtn. Bike, and touring bike. . Wear any shoes or sandals you like. No snapping in or twisting out. They work great. I wold never go back to clipless or toe clips.
Old 05-19-20, 10:26 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Question for those of you who favor flat pedals on a road bike.

Yes, I get that if you have a smooth pedal stroke you can "spin" with flat pedals.

But honestly, how about power out of the saddle?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-19-20, 11:22 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Not saying you're wrong, as you've been riding longer than I have, but if clipless pedals don't make me faster, then I should've stayed with platform.

Sure seems like I'm a tad faster with clipless, but maybe it's placebo effect.

Someone once posted here that clipless pedals are 80 percent hype, 20 percent performance. I always thought that was about right.
Riding longer doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

You can definitely sprint faster in clipless pedals. But 98% of a typical ride isn't a sprint, and there's no difference there.

When you stand to climb, a foot slipping off the pedal would crash you, clipless prevent that. They let you pull the pedal up at a red light to the position you want for takeoff. They show everyone around that you're a real cyclist. They make a real satisfying click noise when you engage them. They give you a bigger platform which can avoid foot pain if you've got cheap flexy shoes. Overall they do a lot to improve the cycling experience.

The ones that have power meters in them will make you faster though.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-20-20, 05:46 AM
Fiery

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Regarding repetitive stress injuries, platform pedals, with them the foot is free to find the most comfortable position, and to change and adapt the position from ride to ride and during a ride (making any stress far less repetitive). Clipless pedals are not nearly so forgiving.
Old 05-20-20, 10:00 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
Regarding repetitive stress injuries, platform pedals, with them the foot is free to find the most comfortable position, and to change and adapt the position from ride to ride and during a ride (making any stress far less repetitive). Clipless pedals are not nearly so forgiving.
Unless you put the cleat in the right position
Old 05-20-20, 10:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Unless you put the cleat in the right position
Right, and I would wager most people will NOT get it in exactly the right place. Luckily for most people it just needs to be in the general ballpark, but some get it wrong enough to matter.

I think the idea that locking your foot in a single position is going to REDUCE the chances of repetitive stress injury is a bit nonsensical. Allowing your foot to move around to wherever is the most comfortable at any given time is a much better recipe for avoiding repetitive stress injuries. Basically, reduce the "repetitive" part.
Old 05-20-20, 02:54 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
With the pins sticking into my Five Tens, I can easily move my crank to any position I wish when I'm at a stop light.

I'm not a mountain biker. Don't they ride their bikes up the hills? If so, don't they pedal out of the saddle?

If you're in competition with other people, I can see wanting clip-in pedals. I'm in competition with myself, and the best way to compare my progress is to stay consistent. I tried SPDs a few years ago. I fell getting used to them, I fell in emergency stops, and I fell at a couple of slippery spots that I did not see on damp roads on the day before I switched back to toe clips and straps. Luckily, I did not fall into the path of a car, but that became a waking nightmare.

When my shoes disintegrated, I couldn't find new shoes that were compatible enough with toe clips, so I went with pinned flats. If you take into account the time lost to falls, I expect I'm faster on the flats than I was on SPDs.
Old 05-23-20, 08:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw got a new pic of my 1/2 clips. wonder if anyone ever used these on the flipside of 1-sided cleated mtb pedals

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-23-20, 09:14 AM
Fourbtgait

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw got a new pic of my 1/2 clips. wonder if anyone ever used these on the flipside of 1-sided cleated mtb pedals

i have similar toe clips I picked up years ago but in plastic and go farther back over the toe. Still use them depending on bike, even on the road bike. Foot comes out easily in emergency, can pedal with lifting stroke, etc. I like my Speedplays on the road bike, except with a bad knee on one leg, stiff foot on the other. Now I am running SPD on the CAAD 9 using Shimano Mtb shoes and much prefer the cleat recessed.
But then I am no longer young, don’t do group rides, compete against myself, only ride up to 50 miles a session and don’t care what others think. Ride in what you like.
Likes For Fourbtgait:
Old 05-23-20, 09:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wouldn't the 1/2 clip be prone to dragging on the ground when using the clipless side?
Old 05-23-20, 11:04 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I am primarily a mountain biker and prefer SPD pedals on my road bike. I use the Shimano PD-ES600. Super light and they give some decent support. Starting out, you can use the SH-56 cleat. With the tension at the lowest setting, your foot will come out at almost any angle. The only thing with starting this way is that you may develop bad habits...I started my wife on that cleat on the MTB and it took longer to get her to learn the correct unclip motion because of it. Here is a link to the pedal I am talking about:

Shimano Road SPD pedal

As far at flats or clips, I prefer clips not because they make me faster (they don't) but because my foot is on the pedal in the same place every time so I don't have to reposition my foot. On the road, I think this makes me more efficient. On the trail, it is important to have your foot in the right place going over technical terrain. You don't always have the option to reposition when things get steep or rough...They also keep my foot secure when riding over rocks and roots.

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 05-23-20 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-23-20, 11:45 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I can't stand flats for road cycling, and despise pinned even more. Constantly hunting for the right foot position (which pins make harder since I can't make any adjustments without completely taking my foot off), never finding it if I'm riding in the city with frequent stop and starts. Not to mention the pain of slipping off the pedals in unexpected situations.

I went clipless and never looked back. Clipless being worse on the knees is a fallacy. With clipless I can make controlled adjustments that stick, and pick cleats with the right amount of float. I've done 213 miles in one day with zero knee pain with my PowerTap pedals.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-23-20, 01:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Wouldn't the 1/2 clip be prone to dragging on the ground when using the clipless side?
maybe if they were the big full cages w/ straps. anyway, it was a chance idea anyway. I use recessed spd cleats & smooth bottom shoes on my road bike & the 1/2 clips on my hybrid & mtb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.