Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling during Covid and looking even remotely Asian

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-21-20, 11:43 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts

Since Covid started I used to get the occasional racist comments thrown my way. I shrugged it off and went about my business. Even the president of the US can endorse such behavoir, how are you going to blame the common folks. But now there is not a cycling day that goes by where I encounter racist/hate comments. 90% of the people ranting out this abuse are older people of caucasian descent. Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here". Where exactly am I to go. I was born in this country. I never been to China.
Old 07-21-20, 11:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Best to report it to your local law enforcement. Write a letter to your state officials.
Old 07-21-20, 11:55 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Sorry to hear that's happening to you, or anyone. Stupidity takes all forms.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-21-20, 11:57 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
But now there is not a cycling day that goes by where I encounter racist/hate comments.
Is this what you mean? There are no days where you hear racist comments?
Likes For BNSF:
Old 07-21-20, 12:11 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here". Where exactly am I to go. I was born in this country. I never been to China.
I tell them I'll leave when they leave. It usually leaves them befuddled. And they usually aren't smart enough to figure it out.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-21-20, 12:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Learning to ignore stupid people is both an art and a blessing. It has lately become very fashionable to hurl racial slurs at ALL races by ALL races so don’t feel singled out anymore than the rest.
Life is too short to let someone else control you so......don’t.
Even if this were true (which it's not), it wouldn't justify racism.

Hell, I'm not even sure that there ARE "racial slurs" for white people...None that compare with words that are routinely thrown at (and about) non-whites.

Last edited by Koyote; 07-21-20 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 12:21 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
Is this what you mean? There are no days where you hear racist comments?
Yes, I didn't proof read b4 posting. Thanks.
Old 07-21-20, 12:22 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Sadly, it will probably get worse before it get better since it is in certain political interest to find scapegoats right now...but it will get better.
Old 07-21-20, 12:31 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
That's horrible. Where do you live that this is happening on a daily basis?
Of course, the irony is you cannot 'go back to China' because they don't allow American travelers into China right now. They have beaten the coronavirus. The US is the hot spot right now.
Old 07-21-20, 12:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
b88, we are getting to see the underbelly of this democracy out in the light. The good thing is that it is out in the light and being seen. What sucks is that it is also being experinced by people like you openly like many of have never seen before.

I say "good thing" because until something is seen clearly and talked about, it never changes. This administration is bring our core racism, solidly planted deep in our Constitution out in the light. Assuming we make it the next 20 years, we will be looking back at this time as being as big a healing and unifying force as the Depression and WW2. Civil Rights. But the process sucks. I"m sorry you got to see it.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-21-20, 12:41 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
It has to be difficult on the receiving end, I am sorry you have to deal with it. My wife and I are Anglo; our families (and friends as well) include Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native American and Mexican. I just cringe when people say things like that, and wonder if they would say that to or around me if my grandchildren were with me. Last I knew my family was all human.
Old 07-21-20, 12:44 PM
moleman123

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Lets hope Trump is a loser soon and we get a proper President again who seeks to unite rather than divide.
Likes For moleman123:
Old 07-21-20, 12:48 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I can't even identify Armenians and Israelis, much less hassle them.

Last edited by boilermaker1; 07-21-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 01:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here".
Assuming you weren't cycling on a hiking-only trail, the correct response would have been "OK Boomer...."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-21-20, 01:13 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Learning to ignore stupid people is both an art and a blessing. It has lately become very fashionable to hurl racial slurs at ALL races by ALL races so don’t feel singled out anymore than the rest.
Life is too short to let someone else control you so......don’t.
I used to think ignoring it would help. It doesn't, it only solidifies a racist's beliefs.

The funny thing is, and it's only taken me about 50 years to learn this, is that, as a racial minority, I have extraordinary power over people that make comments like this. I get to be me and frighten the hell out them simply by being me. I live rent-free in their head, scaring them every time they turn a corner and encounter "one of us." They are much more frightened of you than you ever will be of them. Use it to your advantage. I once made a guy piss in his pants because I walked out the restroom as he was walking in, and he wouldn't use the same facilities as one of "those people." Served him right.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-21-20, 03:37 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I cannot believe people are blaming this on the President. The President has nothing to do with it. Those are low down political shots. Blame, blame, blame the President. Sounds kinda dumb. Doesn't matter who is the president, same comments would have happened.

To the original poster why let it bother you? You could have responded by saying "why"? You could have engaged them in conversation and given good answers to their ignorance. They would realize they were being stupid. Don't let them bother you, you are the better person.
Old 07-21-20, 04:03 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
To the original poster why let it bother you? You could have responded by saying "why"? You could have engaged them in conversation and given good answers to their ignorance. They would realize they were being stupid. Don't let them bother you, you are the better person.
Oh I don’t know, maybe because having racist comments thrown at you sucks?

Yes, stopping to talk to the racists will cure them. Sure. Have you not seen all the viral Karen videos? Did the Karens seem to magically become educated?

To the OP, I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this. I can only hope that it’s only a tiny minority of people that are truly that stupid.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-21-20, 04:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
As a country built by Immigrants there is a sad history and a habit of pitting one group against the other..
saying anything more this should be moved to P&R . https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion
Old 07-21-20, 04:16 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Gconan
I cannot believe people are blaming this on the President. The President has nothing to do with it. Those are low down political shots. Blame, blame, blame the President. Sounds kinda dumb. Doesn't matter who is the president, same comments would have happened.

Actually, there have been several news articles (in reputable outlets) noting that Trump's repeated use of the term "China Virus" and other disparaging comments about China have encouraged racism towards Asians...Many experts have confirmed this conclusion. Here is a link to one such article that does not have a paywall.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 04:34 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Actually, there have been several news articles (in reputable outlets) noting that Trump's repeated use of the term "China Virus" and other disparaging comments about China have encouraged racism towards Asians...Many experts have confirmed this conclusion. Here is a link to one such article that does not have a paywall.
I do wish he would shut the heck up at times. But really, naming a virus after its first discovery is not out of the ordinary. Lyme disease, Ebola, west Nile come to mind. Sure there are others.
Old 07-21-20, 04:37 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I do wish he would shut the heck up at times. But really, naming a virus after its first discovery is not out of the ordinary. Lyme disease, Ebola, west Nile come to mind. Sure there are others.
I'll add that I have heard the term wuhan flu which sounds like an intentional dig. Because we are made up from so many people's I often wonder if harmony will ever get here.
Old 07-21-20, 04:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Kind of ironic that someone with "88" in his user name would complain about racism.... https://www.adl.org/education/refere...ymbols/88:foo:
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-21-20, 04:58 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by spelger
There are some pretty obvious differences between Trump’s use of the term “China virus” and those other examples...For example, Trump uses that term to deflect blame for his own utter failures to respond to the pandemic.

Besides, it’s actually called “Coronavirus.”
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 04:59 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
So
"Get the hell out of here"
is a racist comment. OK got it. How about "Get off the road effing (hawaian word commonly directed at Caucasians but is banned here)"

scott s.
Old 07-21-20, 05:23 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Since Covid started I used to get the occasional racist comments thrown my way. I shrugged it off and went about my business. Even the president of the US can endorse such behavoir, how are you going to blame the common folks. But now there is not a cycling day that goes by where I encounter racist/hate comments. 90% of the people ranting out this abuse are older people of caucasian descent. Yesterday on the trails, a senior white couple yelled out at me, "Get the hell out of here". Where exactly am I to go. I was born in this country. I never been to China.
cool story bro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.