Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

More than 21 speeds ?

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

More than 21 speeds ?

Old 04-10-18, 08:55 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
It just dawned on me; you used to go to the bike co-op a lot, didn't you? Falls City? I was there wendsday and one of the new(to me) guys mentioned that somebody bought that green chopper you made like two years ago and hadn't picked it up. It's JB. You're a true bike artist. My car broke down, so I'm back on a bike and trying to get this trailer built, hoping Nad will help me where it needs welding.
hey, yeah that's me. i talked with you at the co-op last sunday. just ran into nad also, later that day. he said he'd be by the co-op soon.
Old 04-12-18, 04:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
If your MTB is 21 speeds I will assume it is a 3 X 7 with a 7 speed freewheel. There are 8 speed freewheels but they're not common. I upgraded my old TREK 820 to a 3 X 9 with an swap to a wheelset with a cassette hub in the rear wheel allowing me to run a 9 speed cassette. Even if your rear wheel is a 7 speed cassette it probably wouldn't accept an 8 or 9 speed cassette. I also upgraded my rear derailleur and changed my shifters to match. I went with Shimano Deore XT but you could use one of their less expensive series. Your existing rear derailleur "might" handle a 9 speed but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 04-17-18, 11:38 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A friend has a Da Vinci tandem, and if I remember correctly, it's basically 10 speeds on the back and 4 on the front, so there's 40.
My experience: Mostly use the big ring up front, and only the smaller ring(s) up front towards the low end of the gear range. So really, with a triple on front and 10 speed in back (my Sojourn was that way), there were about 11 gears that I actually used. The others were just there to extend the range, not so much for the extra combinations. Even with that gearing, more often than not, I'd be shifting two gears at a time anyway, as they were really closer together than I needed.

If you get a regular bike going below about 2 mph, you tend to fall over, and above a 53:11 or so range, you really can't push it unless you're going downhill or with a tailwind, so there's not a lot of point to the extra gears.

Now, if you want something different, make it where the left and the right crank rotate at different speeds...
Old 04-20-18, 02:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
As I recall the big ring on a Da Vinci tandem is not very big ...

Old 04-25-18, 09:40 PM
Lionking996

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice
Old 05-01-18, 08:47 AM
Philphine

test
Old 05-01-18, 09:07 AM
Philphine

Originally Posted by Philphine
still haven't set up a new photohosting site, but I got it done and it seems to work alright. only rode it a few miles and did the local cyclouvia, but now the weather has turned. if I come up with another trike hub I may go ahead and try the "gears all over it" idea. it'd probably be fun, especially if I could find a bunch of the old muscle bike stick shifts to control the various hubs/derailleurs.
dropped some gears (total number anyway), but have a set up i like better. i switched the 7sp freewheel cluster for a 5sp cluster from a shimano front freewheel system. the semi (sort of) fixed gears on the front freewheel cluster keep the trike hub spinning for better shifting (the trike hub is more or less "coasting" like it normally would when i stop pedaling), and since the front front freewheel cluster is still spinning the back chain i can shift the derailleur while coasting too. i've read there's a 6sp version of the cluster, so i could get a few gears back to increase the total number, but i'll have to luck across one. i also like the tricky-ness of it. one chain stops when i stop pedaling while the other always spins. i think if i get to the paint/finishing stage of this bike i'll buy two different color chains for it.

so now a 15 speed (that i really like, working out the same set up on one or two other bikes), but it still works as a base for just trying to max out the gear numbers. like a triple chain ring on the front with a tensioner, or finding the sram internal/freewheel hub. the crazy multigear burrito is still a festering idea if i luck across some extra parts.
Old 01-15-19, 01:13 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It's possible to get four on the front, twelve on the back, and four in a hub. That gives you 192 gears. But you could times that by four, using a tandem, by using a leading four. The stoker's pedal arms would have to be removed, as the rear crank would turn out of sync. Still, that'd be 768 speeds. More if you can get more in the hub, but i don't know of one that'll go in a cassette carrying hub, perhaps the old Sturmey 5-speed goes in the generic shell. Maybe a cassette could be adapted onto an Alfine 11-speed. You'd be looking at the possibility of circa 2,000 gears.

My tandem has the 'armless crank' on the rear, but the leading crank is a single so no added gearing. In fact it's just 2x10 speed, as making a high number of gears wasn't on my agenda. However, i have a final drive on it, making those 2x10 gears longer than the tooth count suggests. This as the front ring is 38t and it pulls the 30t granny ring on the rear triple.

I also have a final drive on my recumbent trike, enabling me to have a small chainring up front. That has both hub and cassette, but no additional gears up front. And an outboard 250w motor pulling the rear chain, so the motor uses all the gears (13-34t cassette plus 144% 3-speed hub)

The most gears i ever had was 81, using a 9-speed cassette on a 3-speed hub, with a triple up front.
Old 01-15-19, 10:31 AM
Philphine

a different bike, but i have a pic of it i can get to, and it has the start of the same set up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

3sp trike hub where the two chains meet, and a 5sp shimano front freewheel cluster on the wheel. not considering possible gear duplication, it's a 15sp. i've put this setup on three of my cruisers, including my favorite at the moment.

if the goal was to end up with as many gears as possible, there's a 5 speed version of the trike hub (or the most i've seen anyway, could be one with more), and i could go with a wheel made to take one of those 11speed clusters (not sure of smooth shifting of the trike hub if the cluster isn't somewhat "fixed" like the shimano cluster is) on a sram dual drive hub, if it would take an 11, might be limited to 9. i could also add a triple ring crankset with a tensioner at the hub.

but like i said before, the most gears wasn't the actual goal. but if i ended up with the parts (like i lucked into an 11speed wheel over the summer) and an idea for probaly a crazy burrito bike, i might try it.
Old 01-15-19, 12:12 PM
misakosic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One to five in hub for me max!
Old 01-15-19, 03:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Math time

Originally Posted by 1500SLR
11x3 equals 33, but you would have to see whether your bike frame, rear wheel and bottom bracket can cope with an 11x3 setups. Even a 3x10 or 2x11 would give you more gear choices. However, a lot of those gears would be overlapping so it's not really always beneficial.
then you calculate the gear ratios and eliminate the redundancies and those with range overlaps and see just how many different useful gear ratios you have left..

hint : its less

Old 07-01-19, 04:38 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 84 Posts
Hum, modified Trek R200 recumbent. Triple crank up front, 5 speed freewheel under the seat, Sachs 3x8 on the rear = 360 gear combos. Of course the more it takes to achieve those combos and high gears, the heavier the bike will be and that will just slow you down.

More gears doesn't necessarily mean higher or lower gears. It just means more gears.

If your goal is to go faster, use a larger drive ring in the front, a smaller cog in the back and less blubber on the middle.
Old 07-04-19, 11:04 PM
All Terrain

Bikes: 1996 Specialized S-Works Steel, 1983 Maruishi Town and Country, 1982 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 1984 Falcon Harrier, plus a dozen more.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I have a neat adapter that bolts under my small ring (74mm) and allows me to bolt on another small ring (58mm). I have 20 24 36 48 on the crank and a 13 34 7-speed cassette. This is on a vintage mountain bike setup for touring. All the gears I'll ever need.
Old 08-07-19, 12:22 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
~2 years on from the initial inquiry, but it's an eternal question. Pinion 18-speed gearbox driving a Rohloff 14-speed hub...with belt drive, if you want.
Old 09-27-19, 02:04 AM
Destruktoren

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1x gearings are the way to go in my opinion! simple stuff are easier to repair and breakes less
Old 06-29-20, 04:33 PM
CleoFuller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it possible?)
Old 06-30-20, 05:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

My 3 by 3 by 3 speed was 27 speeds 3 to 3rd power.
or 3 cubed

3 cogs on a 3 speed hub & triple crank..

bike was what I made up in about 1957..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-30-20 at 05:38 PM.