Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal Advice - SPD vs other recessed options?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 02:31 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

I just migrated from a Hybrid to a proper road bike (a CAAD12 Ultegra) and I need pedals. I'm used to SPDs and I'd like to stay with a recessed cleat on the new bike. I've read up quite a bit on SPD vs. Crank vs. some others.

I can't seem to figure out which direction to go in and would appreciate a sense of the main differences between the systems that are out there. I plan to do long-distance riding and will not be racing.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 10-04-18, 02:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've tried most of them and have always come back to Shimano. XTR level is worth it (you can track down decent prices about 1/2 list price on line).
Old 10-04-18, 02:56 PM
Robert A

Here's the current lineup. Shimano suggested I consider the PD-M9100. Any thoughts?
Originally Posted by wgscott
I've tried most of them and have always come back to Shimano. XTR level is worth it (you can track down decent prices about 1/2 list price on line).
Old 10-04-18, 03:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I have those in a box (minus a left axle), and use trail pedals primarily, but they are very well-made and easy to maintain. (The trail pedals are basically the same thing with an added frame around them, that you may or may not want.)

The only complaint I have heard is from mountain bikers who ride in wet mud; apparently they don't shed it easily. For me, they are great. Extremely smooth, highly adjustable, and virtually indestuctable. I also have the XT version and I think the XTRs are worth the premium (although the XT version is perfectly good.)

One brand I still haven't tried yet that gets good reviews is Xpedo, and I think they work with Shimano cleats. They have a light (and expensive and fragile) titanium version if you are a weight weinie.
Old 10-04-18, 03:04 PM
Robert A

For road use, which will be better suited? Also, does having a platform aid in power transfer and help avoid hotspots?
I have those in a box (minus a left axle), and use trail pedals primarily, but they are very well-made and easy to maintain. (The trail pedals are basically the same thing with an added frame around them, that you may or may not want.)

The only complaint I have heard is from mountain bikers who ride in wet mud; apparently they don't shed it easily. For me, they are great. Extremely smooth, highly adjustable, and virtually indestuctable. I also have the XT version and I think the XTRs are worth the premium (although the XT version is perfectly good.)
Old 10-04-18, 03:05 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
If you are used to SPDs and prefer recessed cleats, there really is no reason to change. I use the PD-A600 on all my bikes.
Old 10-04-18, 03:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Robert A
For road use, which will be better suited? Also, does having a platform aid in power transfer and help avoid hotspots?
Depends on your shoe. The stiffer the shoe, the less the platform will do (and I am not convinced the platform does much of anything). I like the trail pedals because I do a lot of off-road with clipping/unclipping. But the rest of it might just be in my head.

I also have A600s on another bike, and they are a good option worth looking at. They are the most roadie of the 2-bolt cleat pedals. (Minor disadvantages include being single-sided and they scratch real easily.) I think the platforms on those really do add support.
Old 10-04-18, 03:14 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Shimano are - as always - ”everywhere”. Easy access to cleats and pedals.
Nothing particularly wrong, even If snow/mud self-clearing can fail on occasion.
Crank Brothers have excellent self-clearing but at least earlier models needed frequent rebuilds.
Time have as good self-clearing as CB, and better longevity.
Speedplay are supposed to offer the most float.
Wellgo are almost compatible with Shimano and very similar in use.
Old 10-04-18, 03:18 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for sticking with the SPDs. I have an older road bike with the Shimano M530 which most people describe as "bombproof", and my new road bike has the pricier and lighter M8020. The latter I got for about $60 online, so they're not *that* expensive, but the heavier M530s can be found for $35. Their newest ones, the M90xx, are quite a bit more expensive and don't weigh that much less than the M8020 so I didn't think it was worth it.

Anyway, while I can't say I've tried other clipless pedals, I do have plenty of experience with these and I love them. If you're already used to the SPD system, why change?

As for clearing, you said you had a road bike, so like me, clearing mud probably isn't a huge priority for you. Mine gets a little muddy sometimes from poorly-maintained rail-trails or towpaths but it's not a MTB so I'm not worried about getting that much mud on it that it affects performance.
Old 10-04-18, 03:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Some other options to look at (these are not recommendations, but ones I have looked at and/or tried):

https://rideissi.com/pedals

https://xpedo.com/product-category/pedals/mtb/

SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/mountain-bike/pedals

FUNN
Old 10-04-18, 04:11 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have been using road pedals and shoes for a long time but my first clipless were SPD and second were egg beaters. I like the idea of the the 4 sided entry on the egg beaters but I used them on a fixed gear and they disengaged way too much when I was skid stopping. The cleat also wore down very quickly and the more it wore down the easier it was to disengage when I wasn't trying. If I really had to walk in my shoes a lot I'd go SPD but I don't so I prefer road pedals which I feel like are easier to lock in and stay locked in and yet easier to disengage when I want to. Even though I use one sided pedals it never takes me more then 3 seconds to get clipped in now that I'm used to it
Old 10-04-18, 08:05 PM
Blackie59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve got T-8000 pedals that I use the clip side when I ride by myself and the flat side when I ride with my 8 year old who seems to want to stop somewhere constantly. They work very well for me.
Old 10-04-18, 08:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
SPDs are the standard, but I like eggbeaters.

Simple, lots of float, trouble free IME.

I used SPDs for a while for possible better clipping in during CX race,

but had to crank them down a lot to avoid nuisance unclipping (but that may have been because I was used to so much float),

& the mud clogging was a problem. Went back to eggbeaters, which I have on 3 bikes.

I've had no problems with the cleats wearing down, & use them for around town, etc. with lots of walking.
Old 10-04-18, 09:27 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Depends on your shoe. The stiffer the shoe, the less the platform will do (and I am not convinced the platform does much of anything). I like the trail pedals because I do a lot of off-road with clipping/unclipping. But the rest of it might just be in my head.

I also have A600s on another bike, and they are a good option worth looking at. They are the most roadie of the 2-bolt cleat pedals. (Minor disadvantages include being single-sided and they scratch real easily.) I think the platforms on those really do add support.
I wonder if the new XTR 2019 Enduro Racing SPD Pedals PD-M9120 For Off Road MTB would offer real support? I think I will try one soon (for extra support I hope).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/XTR-2019-En...QAAOSwE5xbWs7y
Old 10-04-18, 10:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Gconan
I wonder if the new XTR 2019 Enduro Racing SPD Pedals PD-M9120 For Off Road MTB would offer real support? I think I will try one soon (for extra support I hope).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/XTR-2019-En...QAAOSwE5xbWs7y
I was wondering the same thing, but I think I will wait until the price comes down by about a factor of two.

I think they are designed to offer more support for mountain bikers who prefer to have the cleat further back on the shoe (which I tried once and absolutely hated).

I'd still like to find something better than the XTR trail pedals. One issue I have is after breaking my ankle I have to twist inward to get out of the clip, which not all pedals allow (the Shimano ones do).
Old 10-05-18, 09:12 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Shimano spd's
- Reliable
- Don't shed thick mud and ice as well as others
Time Atac's
- Reliable
- Shed thick mud and ice well

Crank Brothers
- Not reliable (older models at least)
- Shed thick mud and ice well

Basically spd's are good to stick with unless you're doing heavy cyclocross riding through mud or winter riding. Even then spd's aren't that bad, just that the other options are better.
Old 10-05-18, 05:36 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Speedplay Zero or, if you want to walk easily, Frogs. Been using both for many years and continue to be a fan.
Old 10-05-18, 05:51 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Here's the current lineup. Shimano suggested I consider the PD-M9100. Any thoughts?
Dammit.
Looks like they dropped the PD-M540, but lots of places online still have stock.
I've used a lot of their SPD mtn pedals, and PD-M540 is the sweet spot.
It is the same internal construction as the XT (PD-M8000) and XTR (PD-M9100), but costs less.
In fact you can remove the spindle/bearing assembly from any of the 3 and put it in any other.
The cheaper PD-M520 has a different spindle/bearing that is too cheap to suit me.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 10-05-18 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 06:15 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
SPDs are the standard, but I like eggbeaters.

Simple, lots of float, trouble free IME.

I used SPDs for a while for possible better clipping in during CX race,

but had to crank them down a lot to avoid nuisance unclipping (but that may have been because I was used to so much float),

& the mud clogging was a problem. Went back to eggbeaters, which I have on 3 bikes.

I've had no problems with the cleats wearing down, & use them for around town, etc. with lots of walking.
+1
I also like the Crank Bros options. I've used eggbeaters on mountain bikes, and a number of their platform / clipless pedals for commuters. Great interface, IMO

I'm using Time at the moment and really like it, but alas, it is not recessed
Old 10-05-18, 06:24 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Dammit.
Looks like they dropped the PD-M540, but lots of places online still have stock.
I've used a lot of their SPD mtn pedals, and PD-M540 is the sweet spot.
It is the same internal construction as the XT (PD-M8000) and XTR (PD-M9100), but costs less.
In fact you can remove the spindle/bearing assembly from any of 3 and put it in any other.
The cheaper PD-M520 has a different spindle/bearing that is too cheap to suit me.
The XTR pedals have a thinner spindle that is incompatible with the XT. I found out the hard way.
Old 10-05-18, 06:26 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
The XTR pedals have a thinner spindle that is incompatible with the XT. I found out the hard way.
Hmmm. I thought I had done that, but it was long ago.
I know I swapped between the XT and M540 more recently.
Only difference is that the XT spindle was hollowed out, which made no difference other than perhaps a few grams.
Old 10-05-18, 07:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I can't compare SPD to other recessed cleat systems, but I used SPD on swanky road bikes for years. It works great. Get stiff some shoes and it's every bit as comfortable as "proper" road pedals. And the cleats last forever. This is a fine option on a road bike.
Old 10-05-18, 07:29 PM
Robert A

In the end, I ordered a pair of A600s from Competitive Cyclist. Between that and the other options near that price, these are lighter. And for whatever reason, Shimano designates them as suitable for road use.

Last edited by Robert A; 10-05-18 at 07:35 PM.