Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Wheel & Tyre Widths

Old 06-27-20, 10:19 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
originally, Marymoor had a grooved surface. The idea of the engineers was that would allow it to be used when wet. They weren’t track riders. The riding community went and got grinders and smoothed out the surface. The county also has done a good job of maintaining the track as has the velodrome association.
I liked the transitions there too. It's very similar to a Japanese 400m track, minus about 5˚ banking, I would guess. Absolutely hated riding Hellyer. I never got along with that shallow, heavy track.
Old 07-02-20, 09:40 PM
Ace32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys for some really interesting insights there. Feel there's a lot at play with the aero vs. deflection thing, and a fast wheel demanding a specific tyre, thus creating something of a chicken and egg scenario. Any idea what width tyre / when they were running on the Zipp in that 808 vs iO study that I've heard about bazillion times but never actually seen? (btw. anybody got a link?)

So... here's my solution for now... Think I might have to go carbon deep for a season or so, and slide a rear disc into the mix next year. All whilst I keep an eye out for a skinny Gipiemme/Shamal front to run indoors down the line (if n+1 is a thing, then surely w+1 is also a thing) I'm usually outdoors in the wind and I'm not quick enough to negate a yaw angle! With that in mind, I'm prob looking at 23mm width. If someone gives me a wheel I'm gonna use a handful of times a year at a price I can't say no to, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

In the meantime, will also tick off Carlton's bang for the buck speed list of helmet / skinsuit / shoe covers.

If anyone thinks that's stupid, tell me. I'm here to learn, don't exactly have extra cash unless I sell one of the kids and most of you guys appear to be in lockdown, so have we got much else to do?
Old 07-02-20, 10:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace32
Thanks guys for some really interesting insights there. Feel there's a lot at play with the aero vs. deflection thing, and a fast wheel demanding a specific tyre, thus creating something of a chicken and egg scenario. Any idea what width tyre / when they were running on the Zipp in that 808 vs iO study that I've heard about bazillion times but never actually seen? (btw. anybody got a link?)

So... here's my solution for now... Think I might have to go carbon deep for a season or so, and slide a rear disc into the mix next year. All whilst I keep an eye out for a skinny Gipiemme/Shamal front to run indoors down the line (if n+1 is a thing, then surely w+1 is also a thing) I'm usually outdoors in the wind and I'm not quick enough to negate a yaw angle! With that in mind, I'm prob looking at 23mm width. If someone gives me a wheel I'm gonna use a handful of times a year at a price I can't say no to, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

In the meantime, will also tick off Carlton's bang for the buck speed list of helmet / skinsuit / shoe covers.

If anyone thinks that's stupid, tell me. I'm here to learn, don't exactly have extra cash unless I sell one of the kids and most of you guys appear to be in lockdown, so have we got much else to do?
Those wheels mentioned above have to be 20+ years old by now. So, you might not want to track them down as they'd be a bit "long in the tooth". A non-wide 404 is just as fast as a front wheel. That might be easier to find new or close to new. That being said, finding narrow tires might be a challenge, too (not sure).

Basically, the stock of the 19-22mm tires may have been used up and only 25mm stuff is available and fresh now. I ran into this when I was tracking down higher-end Tufo tubular/clincher in narrow widths. I was buying the last of stuff in Amazon and eBay stores and basic Vittoria clinchers in 23mm were in the bargain bin in local bike shops, not to be restocked again...and that was 2.5 years ago.

So, who knows these days. You might be stuck with wide wheels that call for lower pressures. Maybe someone else can comment on what's available now.
Old 07-03-20, 05:18 AM
Baby Puke

Vittoria Pista Speed looks like it's pretty available in 19mm. I saw it on Pro Bike Kit and others just now.

Jeez I hope they don't stop making these...
Old 07-03-20, 05:25 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Vittoria Pista Speed looks like it's pretty available in 19mm. I saw it on Pro Bike Kit and others just now.

Jeez I hope they don't stop making these...
Last time I tried to order Pista Speeds from my sponsor LBS, Vitoria was completely sold out - of all Pista Speed sizes. Had to order from Europe.
Old 07-03-20, 05:49 AM
Baby Puke

Well, my local people have them, not the best price. Thinking to just buy a couple.

VITTORIA PISTA SPEED ƒrƒbƒgƒŠƒA@ƒsƒXƒ^ ƒXƒs[ƒh
Old 07-03-20, 05:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Yeah, that Gippieme wheel is nice. Similar to the old Campy Shamal and Atlanta 96 wheels.

The wide trend has definitely come to the track and I'm not convinced that it's faster. I think it's more marketing and "keeping up with the Jones'" because they have to. Customers are convinced that it's faster and won't buy non-wide wheels or tires.
I think there also a bit of, as you mentioned before, riding the equipment that is available. There aren’t many companies catering to track riders needs and sometimes a person uses what is readily available.
Old 07-07-20, 07:40 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace32

https://fitwerx.com/relentless-pursu...ike-aero-test/
Old 07-07-20, 07:58 PM
Ace32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pierrej Thanks! How has this not been in my life earlier?
Cancel buying that house. Sorry kids. Daddy needs new wheels...
Old 07-20-20, 04:26 PM
Ace32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So... Daddy has new wheels (prolite track) - I could afford them, they don't need shipping around the world (which appears almost impossible these days) and I've convinced myself they tick all my boxes. Bit over blingy, but anyone who can see them must be behind me, so that's kinda their problem.

Which brings me right back to tyres. Tyre width is (on this thread and maaaaany others) critical to the aero performance of the wheel system, but it appears that there isn't a lot of standardisation of tubs' inflated diameter?
It doesn't seem as simple as "a 21mm tub will actually come out at about 21mm tyre width when it's on a wheel and inflated" although standing on the sidelines, that might be a pretty fair approximation. Is there a general rule of thumb? What should I put on my 21.5mm wide rims? Is there enough variation to be worth crowdsourcing some data (OK, asking the forum) to put together a community spreadsheet of what tyres come out at what widths?

Aaaaaaaaand... breeeeath!