Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Oakley flight jacket

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Oakley flight jacket

Old 07-27-20, 05:57 PM
luvarb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oakley flight jacket

Folks - I just bought a pair of oakley flight jacket and the glasses are hanging on the nose and not touching the face. Is that how it should be? I do have the nose clip inserted in and not in the out position but still not the perfect fit. Just curious how this fits other owners

thx
Old 07-27-20, 06:38 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have Radar EVs standard and with the advancer bridge, not the Flight Jacket, but I'm pretty sure it is supposed to rest on your nose. It may be that the Flight Jacket is the wrong match for your face shape. You can try your luck with the alternate nose piece that it should have come with; my understanding is that Oakley went away from selling separate "Asian fit" frames for low wider bridged noses by including the nose piece.
Old 07-28-20, 05:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I had these glasses. I got them at a very discounted price. I ended up giving them to a friend. I kept losing contact lenses (2 actually) thanks to the wind getting into my eyes. It may just be a bad fit. I thought the glasses were beautiful. I just couldn't wear them
Old 07-28-20, 10:30 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I don’t really see a lot of people wearing them. Maybe they don’t fit a lot different faces. Can you return them for a different style.
Old 08-01-20, 11:45 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I've owned a pair of Flak Jackets forever and these are the greatest things. Work well for cycling or any other active sport.
Old 08-05-20, 08:41 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I've owned a pair of flight jackets for years. Great set of glasses. I wore them for cycling without issue until this year when I picked up a pair of Radar EV's to try something different.

Then I decided I needed new lenses in my Flak Jackets and bought a set of Prizm lenses. So now I have two pairs of quality sunnies.
Old 08-05-20, 09:14 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I've owned a pair of flight jackets for years. Great set of glasses. I wore them for cycling without issue until this year when I picked up a pair of Radar EV's to try something different.

Then I decided I needed new lenses in my Flak Jackets and bought a set of Prizm lenses. So now I have two pairs of quality sunnies.
The Oakley lenses do get scratched/damaged easily.
Old 08-05-20, 09:24 AM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I've owned a pair of Flak Jackets forever and these are the greatest things. Work well for cycling or any other active sport.
When it's time to replace those lenses, you might want to trade them in for a new pair of Flak 2.0 XL. the lens is a very similar shape, but slightly larger. I have a few pairs of both styles, and much prefer the 2.0 XL.

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-05-20, 02:31 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
The Oakley lenses do get scratched/damaged easily.
Yeah, no kidding. My Flaks came with a nice Oakley protective case. The case has a form cut out for the glasses to slide in to. As opposed to just putting them in a bag and tossing the back in the protective case. Only here's the think. Because the lenses are sliding in to specific slots to hold to the lenses/glasses, after repeated sliding in, the bottom of the lenses start to get worn. So frustrating. Now I have no idea how to store the sunglasses. On the one hand I want them protected in the case. On the other hand, I don't want the lenses to start getting eroded from putting them in and out of the case.
Old 08-05-20, 02:46 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
My Radar EV lenses are much more scratch resistant than the $15 and $30 cycling sunglasses I used to use. Both of those cheaper ones became useless after one large bug strike. Besides numerous bug strikes, my Oakley lenses have survived a number of "flung off when I took my jersey off because I forgot I'd hung them behind my neck trying to look pro" moments. They haven't come out of everything unscathed, but I don't notice any visual imperfections looking through them, which is all that matters.

I do always handle the lenses using only an Oakley bag as they recommend, but that's more because I've found those to be superior for wiping lenses to other cloths.
Old 08-06-20, 12:28 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
*Flight jacket and flak jacket are two different frames.

Flight is a shield with open top of orbital

Flak is two piece with open bottom of orbitals
Old 08-06-20, 01:55 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
*Flight jacket and flak jacket are two different frames.

Flight is a shield with open top of orbital

Flak is two piece with open bottom of orbitals

I don't think there was any confusion
Old 08-06-20, 06:27 PM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by noodle soup

I don't think there was any confusion
Well, if you read nowammies post above you’ll see he said “I’ve worn Flight Jackets for years” —they’ve been out less than two years

Then he said “so I got new lenses for my flak jacket” so in addition to my new radars that makes two pairs—paraphrasing that one

Great meme though! Hadn’t seen that one yet

Last edited by Greatestalltime; 08-06-20 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 07:05 PM
noodle soup

Well, if you read nowammies post above you’ll see he said “I’ve worn Flight Jackets for years” —they’ve been out less than two years
Flight Jackets were released in February of 2018, so they've been out for years.
Old 08-07-20, 12:48 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by luvarb
Folks - I just bought a pair of oakley flight jacket and the glasses are hanging on the nose and not touching the face. Is that how it should be? I do have the nose clip inserted in and not in the out position but still not the perfect fit. Just curious how this fits other owners

thx
Did you flip the mechanism on the nose bridge to make them get closer. There’s two positions the lens or orbitals can rest on your face. One is further out for ventilation/clearing fog.

I have Field Jackets and they do this as well.

Last edited by Greatestalltime; 08-07-20 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-07-20, 01:40 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Flight Jackets were released in February of 2018, so they've been out for years.

No. It was in fact April. Normally I don’t think someone would say years when discussing a little over two. They’d likely say “a couple” or something like that.

In any case you ignored that he talked about having two pairs and referred to flaks and radar. So there was confusion that you apparently weren’t aware of.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/oakley-touts-fog-fighting-nosepiece-with-new-flight-jacket-and-field-

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/review...-flight-jacket

If your goal is to be that internet guy that cleverly places memes and gifs you must get your facts right.

I was simply trying to help the discussion and the fact that no one answered his question, but rather discussed other glasses made me think it was possible there was confusion.
Old 08-07-20, 05:37 AM
luvarb

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you flip the mechanism on the nose bridge to make them get closer. There’s two positions the lens or orbitals can rest on your face. One is further out for ventilation/clearing fog.

I have Field Jackets and they do this as well.
Yes I have since learnt that these glasses are designed to sit on the nose bridge; just a feeling you have to get used to
Likes For luvarb:
Old 08-07-20, 09:24 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Yeah, no kidding. My Flaks came with a nice Oakley protective case. The case has a form cut out for the glasses to slide in to. As opposed to just putting them in a bag and tossing the back in the protective case. Only here's the think. Because the lenses are sliding in to specific slots to hold to the lenses/glasses, after repeated sliding in, the bottom of the lenses start to get worn. So frustrating. Now I have no idea how to store the sunglasses. On the one hand I want them protected in the case. On the other hand, I don't want the lenses to start getting eroded from putting them in and out of the case.
I just keep mine in the bags.