Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track drops?

Old 09-16-10, 07:55 PM
hpmcardle
a bored kid

Bikes: Year unknown CCM Targa conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track drops?

I need some track drops. What would you good folks recommend? I'd like to spend $100 max, if that's possible (don't want to look too noobish, but it can't really be avoided here).

Any help appreciated, any links adored!

Henry
Old 09-16-10, 08:00 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pick any one of them.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=1680
Old 09-16-10, 09:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by hpmcardle
I need some track drops. What would you good folks recommend? I'd like to spend $100 max, if that's possible (don't want to look too noobish, but it can't really be avoided here).

Any help appreciated, any links adored!

Henry
Honestly, about 1/2 of the track racers use road drops. Track drops are only useful when doing standing start efforts. Just go to your local shop and get some strong, quality bars. Lots to choose from and you get to feel them before you buy. One note, though, most people use more narrow bars than they would normally use on the road. I use 44mm on the road and 40mm on the track.
Old 09-16-10, 09:48 PM
SteveCrowley

Bikes: 1979-80? Gazelle Champion Mondial A Frame road bike with mix and match campy and shimano parts, Raleigh Rush Hour FG, Specialized Globe Roll FG, Trek 8500 MTB,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use "classic" style road bars. Honestly, I have no problems with them at all. Like Carleton said, try many styles out. Personally, I recommend classic style bars, not ergo bars, but that's just my preference on the road as well as the track. I find they are much easier to get a strong grip on when sprinting and you get more hand positions. And also like Carleton already stated, you might want a slightly narrower bar than you would use on the road because it will add a bit of stiffness. Wide road bars tend to flex, which is ok because it adds a bit of shock absorption, but on the track, you need something stiff.
Another point to remember is that according to UCI regulations, you cannot run your bars so that the bottom of the drops is lower than the top of your front tire. I know it looks cool, but UCI is know for putting stupid regulations on stuff. This means if you have an agressive stem like I do, (nitto jaguar) you will have to raise it considerably if you get deep track drop bars. Even with my road bars, I was not able to ride it with the stem slammed because the angle is too steep and gets the bars too low (although I could still ride them comfortable i am still young lol)
Old 09-17-10, 01:14 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Steve makes a good point - you need to figure out where you want your hands to be, and what kind of stem you are using to figure out what kind of drop you want. A tallish bike will need track drops, while many newer or more dedicated bikes have such a low head tube that they work fine with road drops.

So, what fits you best?
Old 09-18-10, 08:26 PM
hpmcardle
a bored kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, nice. I just assumed there was some sort of standard when it came to bars; it's nice to hear that anything works really. Road drops are comfier in my opinion, so I guess I'll just try a bunch of styles and see what works like suggested. Only problem is my LBS doesn't really stock anything, they sorta just fix stuff and order parts if you need them. Also, sucks about the UCI regulations. A bunch of really cool old track bikes have funky handlebars that drop really low...I wasn't aware of that rule. Damn.

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
This is my 'going to the shop' bike. Williams inch pitch ring, Prior hubs, steel bar and stem, Stronglight cottered cranks. Fun to ride.

problem solved? Haha
Old 09-18-10, 08:28 PM
hpmcardle
a bored kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, thanks Vixtor, I like the classic Cinelli look
Old 09-18-10, 08:29 PM
Kayce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its usually recomended to go a little narrower on drops for mass start events because it the bumping and confusion of a big group sprint, etc you want your shoulders to contact before your hands and bars.
Old 09-19-10, 12:14 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that the best deal for track drops are the Origin-8 variety. Any bike shop can get them, but ones that cater to track racers or hipsters may well stock them. They seem to be made in the same factory as the Somas, Deda, and probably a dozen other brands, but they're significantly cheaper. If you don't mind buying used, eBay is going to be awash in track drops from now until March, when people start caring about track racing again.
Old 09-19-10, 07:16 PM
milkcratebasket
poppawheelie

Bikes: Panasonic, Super Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a few pairs of road drops I need to get rid of. I got them instead of track drops. A lot more comfy for me.
Old 09-19-10, 08:53 PM
seejohnbike
Disgruntled Grad Student

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cross Pro, Cross Comp, TK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@bonechilling: I haven't had any immediate experience with the origin8 drops, but I have origin8 bullhorns, and I'd be a little wary of ordering anything from them (if stiffness is the goal) without testing first. My bullhorns are just fine for street riding, but they are definitely flexy when I'm putting any significant power down....

EDIT: I did notice that the origin8 track drops are part of their pro-pulsion line (and mine are the standard line), which are reportedly of better quality than the standard stuff. i have no experience with the propulsion stuff, so ymmv. I tentatively retract my prior statement...

Last edited by seejohnbike; 09-20-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-19-10, 09:01 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
But..., track drops just LOOK cooler than road drops!
Old 09-19-10, 10:49 PM
milkcratebasket
poppawheelie

Bikes: Panasonic, Super Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
But..., track drops just LOOK cooler than road drops!
I would have to disagree. Track drops look nice but I like my Dura Ace AX drops more.
Old 09-21-10, 01:01 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seejohnbike
@bonechilling: I haven't had any immediate experience with the origin8 drops, but I have origin8 bullhorns, and I'd be a little wary of ordering anything from them (if stiffness is the goal) without testing first. My bullhorns are just fine for street riding, but they are definitely flexy when I'm putting any significant power down....

EDIT: I did notice that the origin8 track drops are part of their pro-pulsion line (and mine are the standard line), which are reportedly of better quality than the standard stuff. i have no experience with the propulsion stuff, so ymmv. I tentatively retract my prior statement...
I don't know anything about their bullhorns, but the track drops are clearly a step above your entry-level "fixie" junk from J&B. As I said, it would appear to an objective observer to be made by the same Taiwanese factory that makes the 31.8 track drops which sell for twice as much. I have held them side-by-side with Dedas and there was no observable difference. I'm not a heavyweight rider, but I felt no discernable flex in regular use or sprints.
Old 09-21-10, 02:06 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nitto NJS drops. Chrome plated CR-MO steel. Stiff and beautiful.
Old 09-27-10, 06:39 PM
WileyLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray R
Nitto NJS drops. Chrome plated CR-MO steel. Stiff and beautiful.
I was actually wondering if cromo was a better choice than alloy for track drops... I have some Nitto alloy drops right now and it does feel as if they flex quite a bit.
Old 09-27-10, 11:11 PM
kyle!
what.

Bikes: raleigh rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on you. CrMo will always be stiffer. But if you do a lot of endurance races that won't be a big issue so alloy is fine. A little flex is good in longer races, if you asked me at least. But if you're into your sprinting and notice(and are irked by)the least bit of flex, then definitely go CrMo.
Old 09-27-10, 11:12 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PBK has deda track drops for $50, shipped to your door. There is a debate?
Old 10-13-10, 07:47 AM
terrible_one49

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, ProBikeKit has the Deda Pista bars for around 40 bucks, with free shipping. Use a discount code and get another 5-10 percent off! Insane deal. They sell for nearly double elsewhere.
Old 10-13-10, 07:40 PM
jasonrobo02

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi 928 Record and 2002 Bianchi Axis 1x9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Current PBK prices at time of this post is: $42.61 shipped to the USA using "tdfusa" as a 10% discount code off of the $47.34 regular price.
Old 10-23-10, 10:54 AM
thefsb
Tom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you want to be able to easily swap the one bike between sprint and pursuit configurations, sprint handlebars can be helpful because of their longer reach.