Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone try out the CarBack?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Anyone try out the CarBack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 07:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
While I totally agree it is a complete mess, at what point do you decide that a single connector is good enough for every application, forever?
No one has decided that nor needs to. That’s not what the EU, India, Taiwan, or other similar directives are about. The main concern with requiring standards on charging plugs is to reduce e-waste and improve consumer convenience.

We have all sorts of standards for all types of products and applications, so the USB-C thing is nothing new, and while it may constrain widespread adoption of a new plug type and require legislative action to get replaced, it doesn’t preclude that, and the potential upsides of the standards are very high compared to the “wild West” scenario we have going on now wherein proprietary plugs and protocols are employed primarily to constrain consumer options and control retailer behavior.
Old 04-28-24, 09:41 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 3,496 Times in 1,835 Posts
USB cables (like RS232 cables) were designed primarily for data transfer, and using them for charging and powering devices has always been a secondary application.

Wireless data transfer is the default on my Edge 530. Over 90% of the time that I use a USB cable, it is to charge the device, rather than transfer data (and I probably do that more than many users). The upgrade on the 540 (and others in the current generation) to USB-C is because it is a better standard for powering and charging devices. The fact that it is vastly better for wired data transfer (which is why Apple was an early adopter) is a secondary concern for most users, but the fact that the same cable could charge all of your devices, transfer data to your hard drive, power and drive your computer monitors, etc. is a huge plus. The physical dimensions of the USB-C cable ends might make them stick around awhile. Presumably the EU forcing Apple and others to make it the standard charger for all devices is based on such arguments.

At least if it is changed in the next 5, 10 or 20 years, it is less likely to be on a whim.

I think the only reason it hasn't replaced HDMI (which would be a vast improvement) in AV applications is that the digital copyright police don't want to lose control.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 04-28-24 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-28-24, 10:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7070 Post(s)
Liked 11,145 Times in 4,756 Posts
It works very well for some applications, but not all. I do find wireless phone chargers convenient in the car.
Apple Watches use wireless charging, which is super convenient since they need charging every day or two. I wish my Garmin watch had that feature, but it's not a big deal since I only need to charge it every 2-3 weeks for an hour or two.
Old 04-28-24, 12:01 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Presumably the EU forcing Apple and others to make it the standard charger for all devices is based on such arguments.
No, not at all. Nor is there any need to presume, as the EU clearly communicated that reduction of e-waste and enhanced consumer convenience were the primary reasons for the requirement for manufacturers to equip consumer electronics with USB-C connectors for charging (and to comply with basic USB-C PD charging protocols):

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres.../en/IP_21_4613

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/...eality-in-2024
Old 04-28-24, 04:55 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 111 Posts
Anyone order one of these on-line? I just looked, seems TREK wants you to pick yours up in one of their stores. I'll try asking tomorrow if one of the four local-to-me stores (within 200 miles) will ship one; otherwise the closest is about a two-hour, one-way drive for me.
Old 04-28-24, 08:12 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by spclark
Anyone order one of these on-line? I just looked, seems TREK wants you to pick yours up in one of their stores. I'll try asking tomorrow if one of the four local-to-me stores (within 200 miles) will ship one; otherwise the closest is about a two-hour, one-way drive for me.
Trek generally does free ship-to-store for accessories.
Old 04-28-24, 11:13 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 3,496 Times in 1,835 Posts
Garmin will ship theirs to your door. Bike tires direct has it on sale for $30 off today and will also ship it free. It is proven technology.
Old 04-29-24, 04:43 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by Koyote
True enough, and that's made clear on their webstore pages.

Still, for me to drive four hours to save maybe $15 in added shipping (there's a local service called Speedee here in the Midwest that's vastly cheaper than UPS, reliable enough and faster than USPS) isn't an enticement to purchase.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Garmin will ship theirs to your door. Bike tires direct has it on sale for $30 off today and will also ship it free.
Today's not yesterday! BTD's search doesn't reveal where they're hiding theirs today, sadly. Lot's of Garmin stuff, more brands. (Thanks for pointing out a new-to-me vendor though, I'd not heard of them before reading your post!)

I've used Garmin stuff before, would rather this time instead give another brand a tryout.

Last edited by spclark; 04-29-24 at 05:04 AM. Reason: details, details
Old 04-29-24, 05:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,948 Posts
would rather this time instead give another brand a tryout.
100% in this case.
Old 04-29-24, 05:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4500 Post(s)
Liked 4,977 Times in 3,077 Posts
I've used Garmin stuff before, would rather this time instead give another brand a tryout.
I know where you are coming from, but the Varia is not your typical Garmin product ie it actually works reliably and intuitively out of the box, bug free.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-29-24, 05:34 AM
Troul 

I know where you are coming from, but the Varia is not your typical Garmin product ie it actually works reliably and intuitively out of the box, bug free.
with the random disconnect happening.
Old 04-29-24, 06:09 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Troul
Good point, but it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds ie. it reconnects instantly, so you just get a pop up warning, maybe once or twice on a century ride. Some of my other sensors momentarily lose connection, but they don't give a warning because they are not safety critical like the radar/light.

My main issue with Garmin is their UI. I use an Edge 530 and once they solved the mid-ride freezing issue (a major issue) on its release it has actually been very reliable for 3 years. But I just don't like the UI embedded menus as they are not very intuitive if you need to change anything. But on a daily basis it is fine and I like the route navigation.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-29-24 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-29-24, 06:20 AM
Koyote

Still, for me to drive four hours to save maybe $15 in added shipping
Well, you didn't mention being four hours from the nearest Trek dealer.

Varia works fine, as Polaris OBark explained.
Old 04-29-24, 06:22 AM
spclark 

My main issue with Garmin is their UI.
Yep, my major complaint with stuff of theirs I've used before.

Found a 'chain' of bike shops since seeing the post that piqued my interest yesterday. They have a 'deliver to address' option prominently featured on their web store page.

I may go that route if not an unreasonable amount of money to avail myself of that option.

Thanks all for your comments.
Old 04-29-24, 06:24 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
I'm happy to recommend the Gardia 300L as an alternative. Is it, perfect? No, but it's pretty darn good. I also think it looks better, sleeker, better designed and cheaper. I use a Wahoo so I am not married to Garmin (except for golf).
Likes For howaboutme:
Old 04-29-24, 07:23 AM
PeteHski

Yep, my major complaint with stuff of theirs I've used before.

Found a 'chain' of bike shops since seeing the post that piqued my interest yesterday. They have a 'deliver to address' option prominently featured on their web store page.

I may go that route if not an unreasonable amount of money to avail myself of that option.

Thanks all for your comments.
Just to be clear, UI is not a problem with the Garmin Varia as the default display is fine and there is very little setup involved - mainly just choosing flash modes on the light, which is fairly easy. It's one of their best products for sure. I have the 515RTL, which is 3rd gen and well sorted
Old 04-29-24, 07:36 AM
Koyote

Just to be clear, UI is not a problem with the Garmin Varia as the default display is fine and there is very little setup involved - mainly just choosing flash modes on the light, which is fairly easy. It's one of their best products for sure. I have the 515RTL, which is 3rd gen and well sorted
Yep, Varia is simple and works nicely.

After trying an Edge 530 computer, I did hate Garmin's UI. Just getting it configured took about two weeks and involved pushing countless buttons in order to drill down into menus, sub-menus, and sub-sub-menus. It was awful. And then when I got it all set up, the BT went all wonky. But all that is a non-issue with the 1040 Edge, as the touchscreen makes setup a breeze and allows me to modify it quickly -- even while riding. Ditto with my Garmin Fenix 7 watch. I don't think I'll ever buy another of these products that doesn't have a touchscreen.
Old 04-29-24, 07:36 AM
Troul 

garmin radars will need to go wireless charging to make it have one over the rest now.
Old 04-29-24, 07:37 AM
Koyote

garmin radars will need to go wireless charging to make it have one over the rest now.
As the first radar tail light on the market and the dominant seller, Varia already has it all "over the rest now." It's going to be up to a new product to prove itself superior.
Old 04-29-24, 07:53 AM
PeteHski

I presume this is a joke.
Old 04-29-24, 07:59 AM
PeteHski

Yep, Varia is simple and works nicely.

After trying an Edge 530 computer, I did hate Garmin's UI. Just getting it configured took about two weeks and involved pushing countless buttons in order to drill down into menus, sub-menus, and sub-sub-menus. It was awful. And then when I got it all set up, the BT went all wonky. But all that is a non-issue with the 1040 Edge, as the touchscreen makes setup a breeze and allows me to modify it quickly -- even while riding. Ditto with my Garmin Fenix 7 watch. I don't think I'll ever buy another of these products that doesn't have a touchscreen.
I totally agree about the 530. Mine is ok now it's set up, but the menu system is a complete mess. It's good to know that the touchscreen units are a big improvement otherwise I would be looking elsewhere in future. But the Varia is a great product and I see them everywhere now.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-29-24, 08:46 AM
Troul 

I presume this is a joke.
like the Android vs Apple battle..
Old 04-29-24, 06:08 PM
spclark 

As the first radar tail light on the market and the dominant seller, Varia already has it all "over the rest now." It's going to be up to a new product to prove itself superior.
S'truth!

I'm 're-treaded' (my compromise with being 'retired' since I'm 75 & still work three days a week) so 'disposable' dollars are watched carefully month by month.

Garmin's Varia products range from $99.99 (RVR315) through the same $199.99 (RTL515) price point as the TREK @ $199.99 on up to significantly higher top end RCT715 @ $349.99.

So as this for me is a foray into a newish realm, I'm willing to go with a mid-range competitor, see whether it offers anything worthwhile to my admittedly recreational biking pursuits.

Roads where I ride I might be sharing with anything from a horse-drawn wagon up through 18-wheelers from time to time. What might widen my perception of what's coming up behind me (I've used a smallish handlebar-mounted mirror for maybe two decades) ought to be worth the expense.

Got an e-mail mid-morning that the TREK device I've ordered has shipped already. So — weather permitting — I might be able to provide a user review soon: Wheelandsprocket.com, shipped USPS Priority for no extra charge over retail + sales tax.

Random thought: might these things show up as an active radar transmitter on radar detectors used by drivers?
Old 04-29-24, 06:36 PM
Troul 

S'truth!

I'm 're-treaded' (my compromise with being 'retired' since I'm 75 & still work three days a week) so 'disposable' dollars are watched carefully month by month.

Garmin's Varia products range from $99.99 (RVR315) through the same $199.99 (RTL515) price point as the TREK @ $199.99 on up to significantly higher top end RCT715 @ $349.99.

So as this for me is a foray into a newish realm, I'm willing to go with a mid-range competitor, see whether it offers anything worthwhile to my admittedly recreational biking pursuits.

Roads where I ride I might be sharing with anything from a horse-drawn wagon up through 18-wheelers from time to time. What might widen my perception of what's coming up behind me (I've used a smallish handlebar-mounted mirror for maybe two decades) ought to be worth the expense.

Got an e-mail mid-morning that the TREK device I've ordered has shipped already. So — weather permitting — I might be able to provide a user review soon: Wheelandsprocket.com, shipped USPS Priority for no extra charge over retail + sales tax.

Random thought: might these things show up as an active radar transmitter on radar detectors used by drivers?
the bryton radar tail light has registered on the V1, but not as a laser alert.
Old 04-29-24, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4436 Post(s)
Liked 4,085 Times in 2,723 Posts
I do love my Garmin Varia eRTL615. I was initially looking at it for just the radar and add another rear light but the light on it is so excellent I don't think I will. I will admit currently for most of my riding in the city the actual radar beeping is a little less useful but the light pattern at the back which changes when a car comes near really is quite nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.