Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing handlebar tape residue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Removing handlebar tape residue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 09:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRPs) have carbon fibers (duh) and a resin matrix. The resin matrix can be one of several things. Epoxide, unsaturated polyester, vinyl ester, and polyamide imide resins (Torlon(R) is a pretty cool example) are used. There can be additives such as rubber. Some of these matrices (e,g, epoxides) are pretty resistant to everything (excepting stuff like hyrdrobromic acid and other strong bases or acids). But without knowing, it's probably good to avoid stuff like acetone or methty-ethyl-ketone or gasoline.

On alloy bars, goo-gone followed by min spirits to rinse followed by soap and water. Let dry and wrap pristine bars.

On CF bars, golly. I think I'd try warm soap and water and a credit card to scrape the stuff ollf. Check with the mfr?

I sat in on a carbon frame talk (at a NAHBS a bunch of years ago) presented by Craig Calfee. He said that there was nothing that could be bought from your local hardware store that will damage the carbon structure. Andy
Old 04-04-19, 10:29 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
agreed ^, methylene chloride can dissolve fibreglass, and carbon is made up of much tougher resins [two part epoxies
Old 04-05-19, 05:17 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Andrew, le mans,

Good points. Andrew, given Mr. Calfee's remarks and other data I suspect that all modern CF bikes use two-part epoxies. I'm trained as a chemical engineer, and so I'm probably a bit more conservative (clouding the finish of or even weakening a bike part is one thing, but having an 80,000 gallon glass-reinforced plastic vessel dissolve and discharge its contents into a working chemical plant is another level). Chemical compatibility charts show epoxy is pretty amazingly resistant. That said, there are some warning flags. At least one business that does work with epoxy suggests methylene chloride to remove epoxy encapsulant from expensive parts. Another chart, from an epoxy seller, recommends against using methylene choride with any epoxy they make - this is the only solvent that is uniformly "not recommended" for use with any epoxy. Acetone is not recommended for epoxides as well, but is allowed for other materials (such as vinyl esters) used for matrices in CRP. Note that acetone is allowed in a "splash and spill" scenario, with cleanup within the hour. The upshot is that I'd avoid methylene chloride and probably acetone. Also, combinations of solvents whose formulation is designed to dissolve almost anything. Paint strippers, or combination cleaners like brake or aircraft cleaners. This on the theory that combinations can be more powerful than any one component (aqua regia, a combination of 3 parts hydrochloric acid, and 1 part nitric, will together but not individually dissolve gold and platinum*)

I was interested in d-limonene (an ingredient that is a big reason why Goo Gone works so well). At least one company suggests that epoxy is "Very Good" in service with d-limonene. So I was encouraged - I'll probably try Goo Gone to remove road tar on my bike now with some confidence. If you buy Goo Gone, be aware that they have a range of products. They sell little bottles of the stuff that really works. "Goo Gone" original. The larger spray bottles contain something that doesn't work as well for me. Here's what I use (a little on a paper towel will take off adhesive residue really well):

*I'd avoid aqua regia on bike parts as well...
https://googone.com/media/catalog/pr...oz_front_2.jpg

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 04-05-19 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 06:11 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

We used to leave our tools in a bucket of Methylene Chloride over night, Wizzard, in the fibreglass industry.. if it had hardened resin on it or if it interfered with it's performance - rollers for example

I believe acetone if fine to use as a cleaning agent though on carbon bikes parts because it doesn't stay on for long, you dampen the cloth with acetone rub whatever crap off then wipe it again with a clean rag..it wouldn't allow enough time for it to do any damage, plus even if you didn't wipe it off with a clean rag after.. the acetone would evaporate.. so, no harm done

soaking it in acetone would be another matter

Last edited by le mans; 04-05-19 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 06:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by le mans
We used to leave our tools in a bucket of Methylene Chloride over night, Wizzard, in the fibreglass industry.. if it had hardened resin on it or if it interfered with it's performance - rollers for example

I believe acetone if fine to use as a cleaning agent though on carbon bikes parts because it doesn't stay on for long, you dampen the cloth with acetone rub whatever crap off then wipe it again with a clean rag..it wouldn't allow enough time for it to do any damage, plus even if you didn't wipe it off with a clean rag after.. the acetone would evaporate.. so, no harm done

soaking it in acetone would be another matter
When CF has a glossy vs matte appearance though, is this a clearcoat of some sort, that isn't a part of the CF material itself and can be removed or marred?
Old 04-05-19, 06:47 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
When CF has a glossy vs matte appearance though, is this a clearcoat of some sort, that isn't a part of the CF material itself and can be removed or marred?
Good question, Acetone will not harm a quality paint job of two pack or power coat
I remember i needed to wash off resin on the side of my car {two pack paint** using Acetone, didn't harm it.. though, compound buffed it after
Old 04-05-19, 07:03 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Depends on the age of the paint job. For a fully cured job, acetone shouldn't damage the finish if exposed briefly (aka, wiping it down). For a 'young' job, acetone can damage a glossy look.
Old 04-05-19, 07:06 AM
le mans
Steel is real

We used to use this stuff what we called "848" for washing our cars [and moulds] to remove hardened over spray, one of the down falls of working with that fibreglass shyte, where gel-coat guns & chopper guns are used.. the over spray would get everywhere, even the neighbouring businesses would complain

i wouldn't recommend using it on cheap acrylic paint jobs too
Old 04-05-19, 07:29 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
The bars have no reason to be residue free prior to putting new bar tape on. It will have zero impact on your new tape. Chunks and pieces of previous tape should be removed as much as possible and may cause lumps but residual tape fuzz and goop doesn't.

Last edited by u235; 04-05-19 at 07:44 AM.