Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 05:09 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, no response is deserved to detractors in life. Pedal On! Not a cheater, just smarter

I test rode a Specialized Turbo Vada two days ago...all I can say is WOW!, I could not get the smile off my face!

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-23-19 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-23-19, 06:38 AM
Ntpphong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

“A lion doesn't concern itself with the opinions of sheeps.”

Old 03-23-19, 06:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
BTW, I've been riding e-bikes on bike paths, roads and off road for four years, and have never met anyone who made a negative comment. The forums, where the creeps congregate, is where the nastiness festers.

Last edited by 2old; 03-23-19 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 08:11 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Who gives a rat’s ass what opinions others have.

Ride what you like. Buy what you can afford.

Really that simple.

On a related note, I recently had minor, outpatient foot surgery.

The doctor and his nurse are both avid cyclists.

The nurse told me that a few years back she contracted valley fever. It pretty much ruined her lung capacity. She could no longer ride fast, long, or climb much.

In order to keep up with her husband (also an avid cyclist) and their cycling friends she bought an e-bike. That e-bike has brought back the joy of riding with her husband and friends.

She is relatively young, fit and trim.

I dare anyone here call her a cheater. She just found a different way to enjoy cycling.
Old 03-23-19, 08:14 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Patriot1
Yes, no response is deserved to detractors in life. Pedal On! Not a cheater, just smarter

I test rode a Specialized Turbo Vada two days ago...all I can say is WOW!, I could not get the smile off my face!
I would agree with you that detractors and haters do not deserve a response.

I disagree with you that riding an e-bike is smarter. I have never ridden an e-bike and do not plan on riding one either.

I am no slouch on the mental horsepower department.

If people want to ride e-bikes that’s great. There is no need, however, to put down those who don’t.
Old 03-23-19, 02:23 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I would agree with you that detractors and haters do not deserve a response.

I disagree with you that riding an e-bike is smarter. I have never ridden an e-bike and do not plan on riding one either.

I am no slouch on the mental horsepower department.

If people want to ride e-bikes that’s great. There is no need, however, to put down those who don’t.
The same has been said -People that don’t ride Ebikes should not put down those that do ride Ebikes.
As for me having had (2) knee surgeries -so yep, I would say one is smarter to ride an Ebike given it’s a bit easier pedaling on knees.
Life has no guarantees, you may end up riding an Ebike someday...you never know.
Old 03-23-19, 02:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I just learned Harley-Davidson makes an E-bike that can do 0-60 in like 3 seconds. To my mind, that is cheating. Now, I don't believe those bikes actually have pedals, at least ones that turn and some might quibble with the term E-bike being used for it, but it is a cycle and it is fully electric. (And it does that insane 1/4 mile in total silence. Well, maybe some tire squeal.)

I have had more that a few electric bikes pass me with coasting riders, even uphill.

Ben
Old 03-23-19, 02:57 PM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I just learned Harley-Davidson makes an E-bike that can do 0-60 in like 3 seconds. To my mind, that is cheating. Now, I don't believe those bikes actually have pedals, at least ones that turn and some might quibble with the term E-bike being used for it, but it is a cycle and it is fully electric. (And it does that insane 1/4 mile in total silence. Well, maybe some tire squeal.)

I have had more that a few electric bikes pass me with coasting riders, even uphill.

Ben
Thats fast! But like you stated not an Ebike.
Old 03-23-19, 03:04 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
What if they added some pedals?
Old 03-23-19, 04:54 PM
eja_ bottecchia

The same has been said -People that don’t ride Ebikes should not put down those that do ride Ebikes.
As for me having had (2) knee surgeries -so yep, I would say one is smarter to ride an Ebike given it’s a bit easier pedaling on knees.
Life has no guarantees, you may end up riding an Ebike someday...you never know.
So you think that it is OK to perpetuate the bad behavior of other riders by calling yourself smarter than riders who move under their own power.

Well good for you.

At 63 yo, my knees still work fine.

Some day they may not, but that day is not today and it is not now.

So I continue to push push my bikes up and down hills under my own power.

Ride long, ride safely...and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-23-19, 05:45 PM
Patriot1

So you think that it is OK to perpetuate the bad behavior of other riders by calling yourself smarter than riders who move under their own power.

Well good for you.

At 63 yo, my knees still work fine.

Some day they may not, but that day is not today and it is not now.

So I continue to push push my bikes up and down hills under my own power.

Ride long, ride safely...and enjoy the ride.
63 good for you! Your even closer to owning an Ebike than ever! Try one! You just might love it!

Old 03-23-19, 09:35 PM
eja_ bottecchia

63 good for you! Your even closer to owning an Ebike than ever! Try one! You just might love it!

Maybe some day, but not tomorrow or the day after or the day after.

I sometimes ride with a guy who is in his late 70s.

Ernesto Colnago built a bike for Nick.

On most days Nick can kick my ass.

Last Sunday I came across a rider on my regular route on PCH, by the Mugu Rock (Southern California).

We started to talk and I found out he is in his 80s and has been riding longer than I been alive.

He then excused himself, turned the after burners on and left me in his dust.

Like I wrote maybe some day I will ride an ebike, but as long as I have guys like Nick and last Sunday’s rider as my inspiration, I don’t think that day is any time soon.

But you know, I support anyone who is out on the road riding, ebike or not.

Ride on.
Old 03-23-19, 10:02 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Tell 'em you charge your battery by spinning a trainer at home.
hey ..that actually sounds like a good invention...hehehe
Old 03-23-19, 10:08 PM
rossiny

Maybe some day, but not tomorrow or the day after or the day after.

I sometimes ride with a guy who is in his late 70s.

Ernesto Colnago built a bike for Nick.

On most days Nick can kick my ass.

Last Sunday I came across a rider on my regular route on PCH, by the Mugu Rock (Southern California).

We started to talk and I found out he is in his 80s and has been riding longer than I been alive.

He then excused himself, turned the after burners on and left me in his dust.

Like I wrote maybe some day I will ride an ebike, but as long as I have guys like Nick and last Sunday’s rider as my inspiration, I don’t think that day is any time soon.

But you know, I support anyone who is out on the road riding, ebike or not.

Ride on.
a guy in his 80s turned on his afterburners and left you in his dust🙀. Are you sure was not a figment of your imagination? 🤔
Old 03-23-19, 11:37 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by rossiny
a guy in his 80s turned on his afterburners and left you in his dust🙀. Are you sure was not a figment of your imagination? 🤔
Nope...I have been known to have a vivid imagination but not THAT vivid.

Old 03-24-19, 02:08 AM
rossiny

Opinions

Opinions , opinions, my opinion is that e- bikes could save the environment. Humans are lazy . I think that if they were used fir short trips, grocery runs, and the like it would save our environment by cutting car pollution and oil consumption and even reducing traffic further. So maybe even making it better for regular cycling. As u get older would be a great way to keep active and touring. You could have a system where by stronger riders could charge up your batteries for you by the treadmills and stationary cycles and plug in to that electricity..hehee.lol.
Old 03-24-19, 05:25 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I just wish people would quit calling them "bikes" if they aren't pedal-powered. What's wrong with "E-Mopeds", "E-Cycles"or "Electric Motorcycles"?. I get frustrated enough by the confusion created when people call their motorcycles "bikes", and E-Bikes muddy the waters still further.

And by having the word "bike" in their name, users are able to get favorable laws passed, piggybacking on legislation created to protect people who get around under their own power on real bikes. Then I see people on these things making asses of themselves in traffic, running red lights and causing havoc on the roads. As a self-powered rider, I don't want to be associated with these things at all, and I don't want to be held responsible in motorist's minds for irresponsible the ways I see people riding these "e-bikes". I see them as hiding behind the "protected" status of us regular bike riders as a mental diversion from the fact that they aren't bicycles at all.

But other than that, I don't mind them too much.
Old 03-24-19, 09:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Nothing wrong with calling them electric bikes which is what they are since every component except the motor and corresponding parts are bicycle items, most people couldn't tell the difference between them and bikes, and essentially all OEM models need to be pedaled for propulsion (called PAS); also, nothing wrong with placing them in a separate category from pedal bikes for legislation. However implying that law-breaking or other subversive two-wheeled activities is the purview of electric bikes only is inane.
Old 03-28-19, 10:21 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Ask them, "Who, exactly, are you 'cheating', and 'cheating' out of what?"

Enjoy riding your bike. Everyone else can **** off
Funny, when I started reading this thread I was wondering what others were gonna say on the OP's question.. Took only two post for me to see the answer I knew was gonna be the best way to respond. This is particularly true today considering the numerous *$$ holes who think their opinion is the only one that might make any sense.. Of course in respect to cheating...What's wrong with cheating. Personally I'm still trying to cheat the clock. If the E-bike helps in this respect, more power to me. I still ride the road bike but the e-bike comes in handy for commuting. ( and mine is with some very long hills )
Old 03-29-19, 12:44 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I know that an e-bike is in my future. I'm delaying this day by increasing the regularity of my training by using an indoor trainer. I've also added a lightweight carbon bike with a 46 & 30 chainrings and a 11-32 cassette. But an e-bike is going to happen eventually.

Being active will always be superior to being sedentary. An e-bike keeps a cyclist active, pure and simple. Especially if you enjoy scenic, hilly routes, an e-bike will increase your overall health and happiness.

Don't worry what anyone else thinks or says.
Old 03-29-19, 01:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do I Get to be POTUS?
Old 03-29-19, 08:59 PM
MikeDD

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why do people who don't ride e-bikes feel the need to post on this forum?
Old 08-27-19, 02:01 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
When someone is telling me I am cheating with my ebike, I generally ask him when was it the last time he came to work by bike (18 km in my case) , or even when it has ride a bike for the last time.

But honestly, it doesn't occurs very often.
Old 08-27-19, 11:46 AM
Roccorides

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
These people on the road shouting "cheater" are holding their finger in the dike. Ebikes will soon be so common you'd shout yourself hoarse calling out everyone with a battery. In the Bay Area I'd say we're already there.

When I'm on my road bike chat up other road bikers and ignore the ebikes. On my ebike I fraternize with ebikes and ignore road bikes. Just seems to work out better that way.
Old 08-27-19, 07:33 PM
Nxkharra
Nas

Bikes: Marin ebike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you remember Kodak films

just ignore haters.
For those of old enough to remember when digital cameras came around. People were resisting and making negative comments and saying ‘the old photography is pure”.
They said the same thing when digital books and newspaper came along.
They said the same stuff when the cell phones came about.
People will come on board soon and see that this tool has enabled lots of new blood (old blood) to this sport. It is good for bike industry.
Everyone will be riding ebike one day.
Keep on rolling.
I just got mine last month due to a knee injury. Rode about 700 miles in a month (used to ride) this amount in a year before.
Already upgrading to a better and more powerful bike. Will enable me to ride with my son who is into riding now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.