Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Show me the light....please

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-25-20, 06:19 AM
Steve06119

Bikes: Cannondale Quick + Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Friends:

I’m looking for a nice, durable and affordable bike light for commuting. As everyone knows there’s a wide variety to choose from but I’d just like to narrow it down. Features to include straight/Flashing light modes, USB charge. I don’t need a rear light.

So any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

All the best to you. Steve
Old 01-25-20, 06:25 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,547 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thread moved from Manufacturer Feedback forum to Electronics, Lighting, Gadgets forum.
Old 01-25-20, 06:28 AM
Steve06119

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread moved from Manufacturer Feedback forum to Electronics, Lighting, Gadgets forum.
BikeForum - Thank you so much since I’m new and still learning how to navigate this wonderful cycling community. Much appreciated! Steve
Old 01-25-20, 06:43 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 372 Posts
I like my new Cygolite Metro Pro 1100. Beam pattern is wide with a pronounced cutoff so that I can see the road without blinding other road users. Also some visibility from the side. Previously, I've used AA powered light with rechargeables. Weaker and with simple round spotlight beam patterns that were ok for visibility but not good for actually seeing the road at night.

Very few lights offer a shaped beam pattern, even those from reputable, recognized brands. That's why I went with the Cygolite.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 01-25-20, 06:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,934 Times in 4,670 Posts
OP: why not a tail light? Do you already have one?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-26-20, 11:49 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Steve06119
  1. I’m looking for a nice, durable and affordable bike light for commuting.
  2. As everyone knows there’s a wide variety to choose from but I’d just like to narrow it down.
  3. Features to include straight/Flashing light modes, USB charge.
  4. I don’t need a rear light.
  5. So any thoughts and suggestions would be great.
  1. what's nice, how durable, how high is your budget (100/200/400 bucks) ?
  2. to narrow it down, you have to know what you need, what you want and what you like
  3. Flashing lights are unnecessary or even dangerous if used during night. More important are remote controls.
  4. Why don't you need a rear light? How to be seen from following faster vehicles in the dark? How good is your current rearlight really?
  5. What efforts did you do for researching of your own?
I like to suggest you the Outbound Lighting Focal Series Road Edition.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...nd-lights.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/manufactu...headlight.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...d-edition.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...ing-worth.html
Likes For angerdan:
Old 01-26-20, 06:43 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
So, you want us to enlighten you?

You could take a look at Bikelightdatabase. It has a whole list of bike lights compared one to another: https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/headlights/ Recently they switched to using Facebook as well for reviews. https://www.facebook.com/bikelightdatabase

I much rather have a light with removable batteries so I just use a CREE XML-T6 flashlight with a versatile flashlight holder specifically designed for flashlights using 18560 Li-ion batteries. If you carry a spare 18650 battery (75 grams) you will not exceed the runtime and end up with no light or a dim light. It's plenty bright and when aimed properly does not annoy any other cyclists. I also would not ride without a flashing rear light at night. You can find ones that are 100 lumens, rechargeable, and inexpensive.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 01-27-20, 10:18 AM
guidosan

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I like my new Cygolite Metro Pro 1100. Beam pattern is wide with a pronounced cutoff so that I can see the road without blinding other road users. Also some visibility from the side. Previously, I've used AA powered light with rechargeables. Weaker and with simple round spotlight beam patterns that were ok for visibility but not good for actually seeing the road at night.

Very few lights offer a shaped beam pattern, even those from reputable, recognized brands. That's why I went with the Cygolite.
I didn't realize that the Metro 1100 had a pronounced cutoff, is this StVZO compliant?
Likes For guidosan:
Old 01-27-20, 10:30 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I like my new Cygolite Metro Pro 1100. Beam pattern is wide with a pronounced cutoff so that I can see the road without blinding other road users.
Originally Posted by guidosan
I didn't realize that the Metro 1100 had a pronounced cutoff, is this StVZO compliant?
When i watch this video youtube.com/watch?v=zddgpNQebWw , i severly doubt that this light comes even close to having a cut-off. There is way to much light at the reflective street signs (just watch the stop sign in the first few seconds of the video). But even if it had a cut-off, it would never fulfill StVZO rules, as the brightest spot is in the middle of the beam, and not exactly beneath the (non-existent) cut-off line
Likes For polyphrast:
Old 01-27-20, 11:15 AM
john m flores 

Originally Posted by guidosan
Originally Posted by polyphrast
When i watch this video youtube.com/watch?v=zddgpNQebWw , i severly doubt that this light comes even close to having a cut-off. There is way to much light at the reflective street signs (just watch the stop sign in the first few seconds of the video). But even if it had a cut-off, it would never fulfill StVZO rules, as the brightest spot is in the middle of the beam, and not exactly beneath the (non-existent) cut-off line
It does not have a pronounced cutoff that meets lighting rules, but the beam is wide enough that if you aim it downward you can get a good view of the road 20-30 meters ahead without blinding others. I point it down enough to light the road right in front of me and NOT light reflectors 30+ meters away. I could not do this with my other lights which are too spot-focused.

https://wetestlights.com/test.php?l=...o%20Pro%201100

Outbound Lighting has a shaped beams with hard cutoff but they don't have an all-in-one unit for commuting/utility cycling...yet.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/pro...-road-edition/
Likes For john m flores:
Old 01-27-20, 11:39 AM
polyphrast

Thanks for clarification. The term cut-off applies imo only to lights with similar patterns as car headlights (or StVZO certified bike lights). Some come close to those regulations, even if not certified, if adjusted properly (i.e lumintop b01). I know about Outbound, since i have one . However a bit a pity, that the Focal Road is a tad too bright in front off the bike (compared to the amout of light in the distance).
A selfcontained light with similar light output (at least the usable amount of light on the street) compared to the metro 1100 would most probably be a B&M Ixon Space (150 lx / 500 lm)
Likes For polyphrast:
Old 01-27-20, 01:51 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I like my Lezyne light. I got one of the higher numbered ones, and it's pretty good at lighting up a dark path away from the streetlights, but there is a whole range of lights, some of which might meet the budget better, but sacrifice a little brightness. Pretty sure mine easily switches between bright, extra bright, and flashing, but I only use it at the standard brightness.
Likes For Rob_E:
Old 01-27-20, 09:06 PM
john m flores 

Originally Posted by polyphrast
Thanks for clarification. The term cut-off applies imo only to lights with similar patterns as car headlights (or StVZO certified bike lights). Some come close to those regulations, even if not certified, if adjusted properly (i.e lumintop b01). I know about Outbound, since i have one . However a bit a pity, that the Focal Road is a tad too bright in front off the bike (compared to the amout of light in the distance).
A selfcontained light with similar light output (at least the usable amount of light on the street) compared to the metro 1100 would most probably be a B&M Ixon Space (150 lx / 500 lm)
I've used the term cut-off generically; it's also used to describe other types of lighting situations, i.e., flash photography, architectural lighting, etc... Sorry for the confusion.

I was looking at that B&M Ixon Space but it seemed hard to get/grey market in the US and it was twice as much as I paid for the Metro 1100.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 01-28-20, 02:40 PM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I was looking at that B&M Ixon Space but it seemed hard to get/grey market in the US and it was twice as much as I paid for the Metro 1100.
In germany it get's sold for $150. If you buy it from ebay, it's $240.
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw="Ixon+Space"&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&_udlo=50&_udhi=250&_sop=15&_stpos=98002&_fc id=1

But maybe ordering at amazon.fr and shipping to the USA could be cheaper.
amazon.fr/dp/B01LCMBVDY
Likes For angerdan:
Old 01-28-20, 03:41 PM
polyphrast

Some german bike shops ship those B&M lamps to the US (~20 EUR Shipping), some don't. E.g., Bike24.com does it, and since VAT doesn't apply to US citizens (but US customs/duty/import taxes do...), the light is reasonable priced.
Likes For polyphrast:
Old 01-29-20, 09:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
bike24 in Germany is selling the Ixon Space for 109,24 € which is $120.24. I have the previous model, the Ixon Core, and it's excellent. I've had it for a few years, and the battery life is barely diminished. The battery indicator has five levels.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-31-20, 04:02 AM
Steve06119

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
OP: why not a tail light? Do you already have one?
Yes. I forgot the brand but it’s a nice LED light.
Old 01-31-20, 04:51 AM
BlueCyclist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ali Express: Search for Shenkey/Bikeono, etc

I have a 1st gen Shenkey light which cost $15.00.
Whilst the wattage and lumens quoted are perhaps inaccurate (lol) it is a very good lamp and i would recommend it to anyone on a budget. It is VERY bright and has a good throw of light.
Old 02-06-20, 11:43 AM
angerdan

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Steve06119
Yes. I forgot
You haven't replied to all the questions to you yet
Old 02-11-20, 09:34 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Fenix BC21R V2 is a good option
  1. Takes standard 18650 battery so won't be useless when the initial battery loses its performance. Also allows you to carry spares.
  2. Capable of charging 18650 battery in the light via USB-C.
  3. Good mode selection. Has a good flashing mode and also higher output steady modes.
  4. Fairly lightweight and simple to work.
  5. Has four stage battery indication (green, yellow, steady red, flashing red).
  6. Beam has a soft-cut off to reduce light aimed at motorists. Not as sharp as some of the Metro lights but still noticeable.
  7. Beam is well suited to road use. Leans towards long distance. Enough width to be comfortable but wouldn't recommend for mountain biking.
  8. Affordable.
Old 02-11-20, 02:20 PM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Specialized Roubaix, Felt FA

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
Fenix BC21R V2 is a good option
  1. Takes standard 18650 battery so won't be useless when the initial battery loses its performance. Also allows you to carry spares.
  2. Capable of charging 18650 battery in the light via USB-C.
  3. Good mode selection. Has a good flashing mode and also higher output steady modes.
  4. Fairly lightweight and simple to work.
  5. Has four stage battery indication (green, yellow, steady red, flashing red).
  6. Beam has a soft-cut off to reduce light aimed at motorists. Not as sharp as some of the Metro lights but still noticeable.
  7. Beam is well suited to road use. Leans towards long distance. Enough width to be comfortable but wouldn't recommend for mountain biking.
  8. Affordable.
Definitely a light to consider. For $75 it has 100 lumens and a replaceable 18650 Li-on battery (very rare feature) which means it is easy to extend runtime by swapping batteries or continue to use it well into the future.

If you are more budget constrained, I'd consider the Planet Bike Blaze SLX headlights. They are very affordable, have a great handlebar mount and come in a variety of lumen outputs to match your needs. You can read/watch my review here.
Old 03-05-20, 04:04 AM
VC CYCLE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 lumens is really too dim for a road bike light and $75 would be too expensive for it. I double check on Amazon, it is 880 lumens and adjustable.